• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Cutting Granite

One of the few mishaps in moving into my new shop was dropping the piece of plate glass I used for sharpening. I picked up an off cut of granite approx 5"x48" for $5. I guess it was previously a backspalsh but its a bit big for my needs so I need to cut it into one or two smaller pieces. I have never tried cutting this type of material before.

Not 100% sure if its natural stone or one of the man made alternatives but does anybody have any experience doing this? I only really need to make a couple of cuts across the 5" width but what should I use jig saw, circular saw? and is there a special blade I should get?
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

If it's real granite, it's about as hard a substance as you'll find and you'll need a diamond wet saw. If it's Silestone or other equivalent man-made products I don't know... but probably at least a tile saw. Either way, I think I'd look at some local place to do the cutting for you at a fairly reasonable cost. (My local Home Depot used to have a diamond wet saw and would cut tile for their customers.)

On the other hand, if it were me, I think I'd set that aside for a future project and just go buy a single granite tile; which is what I use. I would think it would be a lot cheaper, considering what you are going to have to go through.

CWS
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• jbrain
      Forum Newbie
      • Mar 2007
      • roseville california
      • Bt3100

Yeah, a tile saw would work fine.

If you don't care about a perfect cut a handheld grinder with appropriate cut off disc should work also.

Comment

• twistsol
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
        • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I cut some granite that was a little less than an inch thick with a diamond blade on my circular saw. The one I bought is similar to the one at the link below.

Evolution 7-1/4" Diamond Masonry Blade

It doesn't leave an edge I'd use on any project that went in the house but it's OK for shop work. Cut it outside and have a helper hold a vac hose near the cutting edge of the blade. It grinds its way through the granite is an slow going.

By the way the piece of granite I got was used for exactly the same purpose.
        Chr's

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
          • Aug 2007
          • Minneapolis, MN
          • BT-3000, 21829

I've had good luck using a cheap 4.5" diamond saw blade from HF in an angle grinder.

Makes a lot of dust so do it outside.
          You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
          of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• JimD
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Lexington, SC.

I haven't cut granite with it but I cut marble with my angle grinder and a brick cutting abrasive blade. The only issue I've had is I had a piece crack. I got it hot. So I slowed down and subsequent cuts were fine. A tile saw would keep it cool.

Comment

Working...