• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

The s**t has hit the fan-almost.

While cutting the grass today, I ran over the sewer cleanout cap in my yard. Unlike all the other times I've done this, this time my mower blade made contact and sent the rubber cap flying and also cracked off a chunk of the 4" cast iron pipe. I think it fell down the hole--at least 6' down. I bought a replacement rubber cap and tightened down the hose clamp. However, the new cap doesn't completely cover the hole left by the missing chunk--maybe 1/2" diameter hole.

The old cap had been run over by my mower or previous owner's mower and was already open to the environment so nothing bad has happened in 8 years.

So should I bother to fix it for good? There was a 4" coupling at HD that would fit over the old pipe and maybe extend far enough down to cover the crack. However, it's white PVC. Is that stuff UV safe? It would also stick up a few inches--which may not be a bad thing--but this is in my front yard and about a foot from the sidewalk so it would be an eyesore. Alternatively, will 3" pipe fit inside 4" pipe? I could put a cap on the 3" pipe, slide it down into the 4" pipe and pack the void between the two pipes to block sewer gas.

Thanks
    Paul
  • frumper64
    Established Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Garland, Tx, USA.

I wouldn't worry about it. I think the main purpose of the cap is to keep dirt from filling up the hole. As long as it's mostly covered, I think you are okay. I would just put the cap on it and if the gap really bothers you, wrap it in duct tape to cover the hole. Then again, I'm certainly not a plumber. I really doubt you would get enough sewer gas coming out to be a problem.
    Jim
    64sedan_at_gmail.com

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

You might want to take some precaution to prevent it from being hit by the mower again.
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

I'd dig around it, saw pipe off at ground level and put a cap or bucket on it. This is coming from the other me that hit 4 sprinkler heads in 1 lawn cutting!

Comment

• Woodshark
          Established Member
          • May 2006
          • Atlanta

Originally posted by capncarl
          I'd dig around it, saw pipe off at ground level and put a cap or bucket on it. This is coming from the other me that hit 4 sprinkler heads in 1 lawn cutting!
          This is the best idea. Take care of it and be done with it.
          sigpic

Comment

Working...