• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Job Interviews

I work in a science lab and generally potential candidates (after they've gone through phone screenings) are given a tour of the lab along with a description of their duties, we speak to their references, and we take them on their word either in person or in their resume that they can 1) do what they claim to have done in the past (this comes up when we talk to their references) and 2) perform the functions described in the new position.

The interviews are pretty casual and it allows everyone to get to know each other and basically determine if there will be any personality clashes. For higher level positions, the candidates usually present their previous work in a seminar to a mixed audience--think mini-doctoral defense.

For those of you involved in the hiring process, how many of you use some kind of skill assessment on the day of the interview to ascertain #2 or how much training it will take to get them up to speed?

I'd be interested to hear what other techniques you employ to determine if you are choosing the best candidate.

Thanks,
    Paul
  • Condoman44
    Established Member
    • Nov 2013
    • CT near Norwich
    • Ryobi BT3000

I worked in the corporate mainframe IT business all my career. Toward the end, 5 years ago, management was always attempting to off shore our duties, sometimes just a part, sometimes more.

My colleague and I devised a list of 25 technical questions that you needed to know at least a vague answer if not on the mark. We sat through at least a dozen phone interviews only to find they could not answer a great many of the questions.

A typical question: If a program ends with a 913 ABEND what is the most likely cause?

Answer: You do not have security permission to use this asset.

This was a very common error.

My point is some written test, instruction, etc. would make it somewhat standard for anyone that is involved. This is a very subjective area and no clear method will work all the time.

Good luck.

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

We ask each candidate a series of questions designed to determine how they will react in situations important to the prospective job. There are two interviewers very familiar with the position and one HR rep. I have both received and been on the panel for these interviews. They are stressful for the candidate. They give us useful information but I think they are basically designed to avoid complaints or suits from the candidates. It isn't the only data we use in the hiring decision but we have a lot of problem hiring somebody who scores poorly on these interviews.

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I'm not typically involved with the hiring process, but wanted to share an experience I had as a candidate with a company a couple of years ago. After passing a fairly lengthy online aptitude test (3-4 hours), a face to face interview was setup (out of town in my case). When I arrived, I joined a group of 35 to 40 other candidates who were then broken into smaller groups. We were asked to participate in an hour long group exercise....the task was to build model cars from existing parts. We not only needed to build the cars in a timed session, but needed to decide how many of each type to build, depending on the market/manufacturing criteria that we were given (profit margins, popularity, sales rates, budget, manufacturing costs, etc). We did it 3 times, and each time the given information was different. The interview team observed us, and they weren't allowed to answer questions. Talk about feeling like a fish in a bowl! It was actually a great exercise that showed them teamwork, leadership, problem solving, mechanical aptitude, reasoning skills, and performance under pressure. For those who made the cut, the individual interviews took place later in the afternoon with the hiring manager...the others went home after lunch.

Most other interviews I've had were just a small team of folks associated with the position in various ways who took turns asking questions.
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Hellrazor
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2003
          • Abyss, PA
          • Ridgid R4512

I have a skills assessment form I require everyone to fill out. It is a simple checklist style form and a "details" line to the right of each line.

After the first few times I used the form I received some forms that were obviously fraudulently filled out by internal staff. After that I added a standard falsification is grounds for dismissal statement and made them sign the form. It was amazing how differently the same person filled out the form if another position opened up or some refused to fill out the form because they had to sign it.

I do a standard interview with 10 questions. I rotate the questions between 20-25 standard questions. I always throw in the ever annoying "why should I hire you over an equally qualified individual?". That one usually trips up about 30-40% of the people. I had everything from a humble "I don't know" to outright arrogant answers.

I have 2 or 3 emergency situation questions too. You have to rank priorities during an emergency situation. Sometimes you get amusing answers.

The following emergencies happen simultaneously. Rate them by priority and why. (This is for a maintenance mechanic.)

1. The heat is off
          2. The fire alarm is showing a trouble
          3. The elevator isn't working
          4. There is a power outage
          5. The energy management system is down

Want to know how many people think the heat and fire alarm are the priority? When in reality the power issue caused the whole thing...

Comment

• vaking
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2005
            • Montclair, NJ, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3100-1

Originally posted by Hellrazor

The following emergencies happen simultaneously. Rate them by priority and why. (This is for a maintenance mechanic.)

1. The heat is off
            2. The fire alarm is showing a trouble
            3. The elevator isn't working
            4. There is a power outage
            5. The energy management system is down

Want to know how many people think the heat and fire alarm are the priority? When in reality the power issue caused the whole thing...
            I believe it is fairly obvious that power issue most likely caused all other problems, however, fire alarm may indicate safety risk for people in the building. So I believe you need to verify that fire alarm is false to make sure nobody is in danger, then proceed resolving power problem.
            Alex V

Comment

• Hellrazor
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2003
              • Abyss, PA
              • Ridgid R4512

Originally posted by vaking
              I believe it is fairly obvious that power issue most likely caused all other problems, however, fire alarm may indicate safety risk for people in the building. So I believe you need to verify that fire alarm is false to make sure nobody is in danger, then proceed resolving power problem.
              Fire trouble - not fire alarm. A trouble is a non emergency situation. A peripheral missed its "phone home" aka ACK, power transfer from normal power to battery to generator, a dirty smoke detector, etc.

Comment

• durango dude
                • Mar 2011
                • a thousand or so feet above insanity
                • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

I fully support the informal/chemistry approach.

I work in a government organization, now - and it's all by the rubrics.
                (I can't stand this approach).

One of the most effective and brutal interview tactics I can recall was the "round table hot seat" tactic, employed at a university I worked at in Chicago.

The university recruited bright, engaging people. Any applicant that would make it to the table was objectively bright and promising --- but the table (at the faculty club) would identify who fit. Anyone could sit at that table - and the candidate could find themselves debating fundamentals with a Nobel Laureate (wasn't uncommon).

When an individual is comfortable and competent in that environment - you know you have a winner.

Comment

Working...