• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

2013: How Many Routers do you own?

How Many routers do you own? I did the last poll in 2003 so its ten years later and time for a new poll!
    Poll will run for 2 weeks!

Count all woodworking routers.

Do count all PC, Bosch, Makita, Hitachi, Dewalt, Milwaukee, Triton and similar routers with 1/4" and/or 1/2" collets
    Count Plunge or fixed base routers, but count the dual base kits as one router
    Yes, you can even count B&D, Craftsman or Ryobi routers
    Yes, you can count the MLCS Pneumatic router

Do not count shapers
    Do not count Network routers, hubs and switches
    Do not count Dremel tools with a base or RotoZip tools
    0 - I have no routers
    1.00%
    1 (one)
    9.00%
    2 (two)
    19.00%
    3 (three)
    28.00%
    4 (four)
    19.00%
    5 (five)
    11.00%
    6 (six)
    4.00%
    7 (seven)
    1.00%
    8 (eight)
    1.00%
    more than eight (lucky guy!)
    7.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-23-2013, 06:05 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

More than 8 that work, but I've never found a need to take a count. I've had more than 8 walk out of the shop, and likely more than 8 that need some kind of repair.

Comment

• dkerfoot
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2004
      • Holland, Michigan
      • Craftsman 21829

Just one router motor, with two fixed basses and one plunge base. I keep one fixed base on my full router table and the 2nd one on a BT3000 accessory table.
      Doug Kerfoot
      "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
      "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
      KeyLlama.com

Comment

• jdon
        Established Member
        • Feb 2010
        • Snoqualmie, Wash.
        • BT3100

How would you count the cheapo HF trim "router" (I use that term loosely)? I decided it was 1/2 a router, and rounded down

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • On the TARDIS
          • BT 3100

I have four. My dad's old router that need new bearings, the first one I ever bought, one that loml bought me one Christmas( two bases) and a small Dewalt that I won( with two bases).
          From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Knottscott
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Rochester, NY.
            • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

1. Ryobi made Craftsman
            2. Freud FT2000
            3. Milwaukee 5615
            4. Milwaukee 5625
            5. Freud FT1700
            6. Hitach M12V
            7. PC690LR
            8. Hitach KM12VC
            9. Bosch 1617PK
            10. Hitachi M12VC
            11. Milwaukee 5615-24

The numbers are the sequence of ownership. Bold and underlined mean I still have it....so I've essentially whittle my collection down to 4.
            Last edited by Knottscott; 07-21-2013, 06:07 PM.
            Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

Checked off 3 but then remembered the Craftsman in the BT-3000

Bosch 1617 EVS Dual Base
              Rockwell M100
              Hitachi M12V (Mounted in the router table)
              1/4" Craftsman in the BT router table
              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
              Fools because they have to say something.
              Plato

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2007
                • Buena Park, CA
                • CM 21829

Five (5).

2 Craftsman of same type:
                Sears Item# 00902768000 | Model# 02768 Fixed Base (stays in router table)
                Sears Item# 00927683000 | Model# 27683 Fixed & Plunge Base
                1 more Craftsman - a C3 Cordless Laminate Router
                1 Skil Router, Item #: 337922 | Model #: 1830 (stays in fixed base in TS router table)
                1 HF corded laminate trimmer
                Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Stytooner
                  Roll Tide RIP Lee
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                  • BT3100

I put 5, but I have a PC router mounted on a cnc machine. Does that count?

I also have two that don't work. Do they count?
                  Lee

Comment

• chopnhack
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2006
                    • Florida
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Solo with my old Hitach M12V. I have looked at the colt models lately as I would love to have something smaller for free hand work and maybe table mount the beast.
                    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• twistsol
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I'm at six routers

My first router a Ryobi RE-175 is still going strong. It's only 1/4" so I keep a flush trim bit in it pretty much all the time

I bought a porter cable 693 multi base kit and picked up just a 690 motor on eBay. I'm counting that as two since I have two motors and three bases. These are in a nice case so they're my portable routers and I use the plunge base for my sign making kit.

I have the big triton router on the table attached to my bt3100, and also have an older hitachi tr-12 from a garage sale. Both of these are attached to Rockler aluminum plates so I can swap them in and out with ease and both have had router raizers installed

Finally, I have a smaller triton mounter in my sommerfeld table.
                      Chr's

Comment

• chopnhack
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2006
                        • Florida
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by twistsol
                        Finally, I have a smaller triton mounter in my sommerfeld table.
                        Wow, everything was good until you dropped the sommerfield bit... you suck my friend
                        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Turaj
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
                          • BT3000 (1998)

Five for me but the last one came free from a friend of my brother and I have yet to use it.
                          Turaj (in Toronto)
                          "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• durango dude
                            • Mar 2011
                            • a thousand or so feet above insanity
                            • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

Sears/craftsman 11 amp fixed base (it was my first)

Ryobi R-500 plunge base (I actually like it more than my Craftsman)

Will likely pick up a PC 693LRPK within the next year. Will give the fixed base a Veritas base.

I figure it's good enough for Norm Abrams - it's good enough for me.
                            Last edited by durango dude; 07-21-2013, 11:51 PM.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              Internet Fact Checker
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Katy, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by durango dude
                              Will likely pick up a PC 693LRPK within the next year. Will give the fixed base a Veritas base.
                              changing the topic a bit, I would really look at the Bosch 1617evspk as an alternative to the venerable 693LRPK.
                              Don't get me wrong, the PC 693LR is a fine router. Its just that the design is a little dated.

The Bosch is a much later design that the PC which dates back quite a while. I think the biggest feature of the Bosch is that the motor goes straight up and down (except for a small jog at the end to keep it from falling out if you accidentally hold the clutch open) - setting the height has a three position coarse adjust and a fine dial. Going straight up and down also keeps the controls in the same place when used in a table. The PC has the older method - the motor rotates in a screw thread in the base which means that the wire and the motor all twist up when adjusting the height. Twisting the wire is an inconvenience but if you are guiding the base along a fence if the baseplate is not perfectly centered this will change the part of the baseplate touching the fence and move the bit over some. Using it in a table you will laways be searching for the switch after a height adjustment.

The Bosch also has a soft start variable speed dial that holds the set RPM under varying load conditions. The PC has only single fixed speed which greatly reduces the versatility of the router when using larger bits. That can be a huige advantage, and the soft start is definately nice compared to the jerk you get when starting a fixed speed motor.

The current Bosch fixed base, when mounted to a table also allows above the table fine adjustment of height. The router sub base also has two sets of screw holes - one with chamfered holes for flat head screws for factory centering of the sub base to the router motor axis, and another set of countersunk holes for pan head screws allowing you to center the base precisely (using a cone centering tool) if needed. These accoutrements are the kind of detail the Bosch router has that the PC does not.

The Bosch is also the beauty contest winner - hardwood (maple) handles on the fixed base and lightweight alloy body; Bosch blue vs. PC black.
                              Before the Bosch came out the 69x had a thumbscrew release for locking the height, after the bosch came out with the cam lever the PC came out with the "LR" models which copied the cam lever lock but that's been the only improvement.

BTW, the Bosch uses the same mounting pattern as the PC routers, so all PC accessories, template guides and base attachments will pretty much fit. In fact, the Bosch also sports a bayonet locking template guide which is faster and more convenient and just as accurate as the threaded template guides, if you prefer to use them.

I really think you should do yourself a favor and look at the Bosch 1617EVSPK which is also cheaper at Amazon, anyway. Bosch is $200 at Amazon for the dual base kit and the PC is $210.
                              Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-23-2013, 12:09 AM.
                              Loring in Katy, TX USA
                              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...