• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I think the Kregs are able to make innovative jigs because the other competitors are using machined metal parts vs. the injection molded parts Kreg is using.

Sometimes its is cool to have machine metal parts but in this case only Kreg has anted up the extensive costs for custom tooling (e.g. Engineering time plus the tooling costs) to give added value to their parts. As long as the parts are rugged enough and the wear parts are steel inserts this is a fine approach in my book.

Its a business gamble to invest in tooling - you get added sales for the functionality it provides but you are risking capital that customers will buy enough to pay for the tooling and engineering.
    Functionality includes built-in holder for parts, molded depth setting jogs with measurements engraved, snap on wings with hinged covers,

With manufacturing fully machined parts, you pay as you go, much less risk taken.
    To show the current state of evolution of competitors and Kreg:

example of (Sommerfeld, at Peachtree) machined PH Jig currently for sale

original Kreg K2 jig before molded jigs parts (4 models ago):

Fully injection molded K5 evolution with metal inserts:
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-20-2013, 03:00 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

There's a good 2 page article with lots of photos in the latest edition of Shopnotes (Vol.22, Issue#132) on the Kreg K5.

Something new I hadn't notices before is the stop collar setting block. The collar is now set with the bit in the drill guide. A stepped block helps you set the proper distance with the screw length. There's been a few times I miscalculated when setting the collar on my K3.

The new clamp isn't totally automatic either. Some adjustments might need to be made for thick a thin materials before the clamping pressure is set. It still has to be a lot better than adjusting the screw on my K3.
      Erik

Comment

• sweensdv
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • WI
        • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

[QUOTE=pelligrini;524211] ..............
        Something new I hadn't notices before is the stop collar setting block. The collar is now set with the bit in the drill guide. A stepped block helps you set the proper distance with the screw length. There's been a few times I miscalculated when setting the collar on my K3.QUOTE]

That feature is also available on the K4 and is a great feature. I had one of the first Kreg Pocket Hole Jigs that I bought decades ago and it has sat, and still sits, on the shelf as I could never quite get the hang of setting the stop collar correctly. The stop collar guide makes it fool proof to set the stop collar.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Used mine today and it's a K2000 kit! Came before the K3MS, K4 and K5 kits I guess its really ancient. Really though, the vacuum port is the key feature I'm missing. The front operated self-adjusting latch is nice but seldom an issue. But the K2000 kit did come with the single (R1 mini) and double (rocket) jigs and a face clamp, stuff that no longer comes in the latest kits.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-20-2013, 03:03 AM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...