• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • durango dude
    • Mar 2011
    • a thousand or so feet above insanity
    • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

dang - I'm in a rut!

I've spent the last six months empathizing with the woman in Mark 5:26.
    (look it up - it will make you laugh). I'm now fully convinced that people work
    in the "medical" profession rather than the "health" profession.

Not sure exactly when it happened --- but I suddenly became completely uninterested in shooting, sawing, womanizing, or anything else ----- just blanket blahs. My health was spiraling down. You know it's bad when you throw out catalogs from Grizzly, Cabelas, and Lee Nielsen.

There's a woman that wants to buy that darn Morris chair that I started --- and I haven't touched it for several months. I made a couple of small boxes just for quick jollies ---- but haven't made anything substantial for six stinkin months.

I saw my GP doc, a shrink, and finally, last week a urologist --- who ordered a simple T level ----- and concluded that it's about a third of what would be normal for a 90 yr old. Hot diggity ---- I have Low T! It does seem to explain a bit, though.

I still need a bunch more tests which might narrow down the cause ---- and I still feel like crap ---- but I suppose at least I know a little bit about what's going on. I thought it was mid-life blahs.

In any event - not sure if any of you "more experienced" individuals have been through this kind of thing --- but if you did ---- how'd you get through it?
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Haven't been tested for low-T, so not sure what impact that might have on energy and interest levels, or if it plays into depression - some others might have more info on that.

Some of my ruts come from distraction from focus on purpose. I find when I refocus on the reasons for doing something (titles like "Purpose driven life" and "Live life on purpose" come to mind), I get my traction back to pull out of the rut.

Other of my ruts come from frustration with projects - like some others have expressed in another thread on project design blocks, sometimes I decide to take a break, maybe even don't want to think about the problem for a while until I can come back with a fresh perspective. That may mean working a different project that's easier and will give me an easy success and remind me why I enjoy the crafts I do.

But in either case, what seems to work for me is to get my passion reignited with a renewed focus on purpose. Hope that helps some.
    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

If you are considering the T treatments you might want to have a frank discussion with the GP. After seeing all the ambulance chaser ads on TV they would have you believe that just walking down the same aisle with that stuff will kill you. Somewhere I read that the t treatments turn off your own t production, does that mean you will be on t treatments forever? Food for thought.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Sounds like you need to have a serious conversation with a good internist. Mind you the drug companies would have you believe that their T treatments are the end all be all fix for low T issues, and the ambulance chasers would have you believe that being in the same zip code as that stuff will make you grow an extra hand out of your forehead or have a stroke for no reason etc...

I've been feeling the after 40 slide a bit harsher myself lately, mostly due to too danged much work, too (expletive) much weight, and more extended family obligations than I care to think about... The doc might say Low T, I say I need a freaking vacation.
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• durango dude
          • Mar 2011

Thanks, gentlemen (I use that term generously).

My GP is actually a holistic practitioner - who is known for
          alternative approaches. Will give this a try --- and hopefully
          start enjoying life again some time soon.

On the brag side ----- I'm headed off to Claremont, CA to take my son to college, next week! I'm looking forward to stopping by the Sam Maloof gallery again.

Maloof disgusts me ---- I've never seen the man measure anything!

Comment

• ironhat
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2004
            • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
            • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

I offer this only after reading that your M.D. is holistic. Ask him about bioequivalent, bioavailable testosterone pellets. I'm 62 and was Dx'ed with low-T a year ago and that's when I sought a holistic practitioner. I began the pellet therapy (placed under the skin under local anesthesia) after base line blood levels (RBC, WBC, HCT, etc.) and some important minerals which are influenced by this treatment. That way he can tailor the number of pellets that will be used the next time. This is the safe and smart way to use testosterone replacement therapy. It is pricey, however, costing $750/qtr.! Does it work? Yup! I've got the get up and go now!
            Blessings,
            Chiz

Comment

• radhak
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2006
              • Miramar, FL
              • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Eye-opener thread. I've been having the same symptoms for the past couple of years, intensified last 6 months, and I'm wondering what's happening. I did not even recognize the 'T' acronym till I googled it. And now I'm aware of all these advts around me on the radio, TV, everywhere!

But looks like there's no safe T-boosters? I mean, Amazon has a couple with high ratings like Test Worx, but many of the reviewers sound like hard-core fan-boys; makes me wary. And I believe the anti-booster camp, consuming something like that would be counterproductive, reducing my natural mechanism, making me dependent on external boosters.

In my 40s, I'm in great physical shape externally: 5'8", 150lbs, active, do yoga and minimum 2+mile walk every day. But mentally I seem to have lost my mojo. Had a blood test done a month ago, but did not ask for Testosterone check, so it may not be there, right? (feel lazy to search for that report...)
              It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
              - Aristotle

Comment

• durango dude
                • Mar 2011

Well - I found two benefits to therapy:

a) I started wood working, again.

b) I can use the syringe to inject glue!

The doc gave me super thick syringes to draw meds from the vile --- and super thin ones to inject with.

Turns out - the thick ones are perfect for wood glue!

And guys - if you're in a rut---- don't be shy ----- ask your physician to check hormone levels. Man - they make a difference.

Now back to woodworking.

I sorted my piles, and inventoried what I've got to work with ----

a) a couple of boxes in the plans - nothing fancy - just getting back into the grove

b) I made a ZCP for my saw -----

c) I grabbed an old sofa-back table that I made that's losing stability - tore apart the legs and re-built a new table, this time providing re-enforcing braces (the table is 5' long ----- they really need cross braces to be stable)

Comment

• JR
                  The Full Monte
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Eugene, OR
                  • BT3000

Originally posted by durango dude
                  I can use the syringe to inject glue!
                  I've heard of sniffing glue, but this is a new one to me.
                  I sorted my piles, ...
                  Um, you might have a little too much enthusiasm!

JR

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2003
                    • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                    • BT3100

When I get like that, and I'm 67, I just eat more anti-depressants. Works every time.
                    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                    Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• durango dude
                      • Mar 2011

Hey Ironhat - Chambersburg, PA is about mid-way between my folks in Maryland - and the PA Grizzly store.

I used to live over in the Mechanicsburg area ----- Man I miss the meandering yellow breeches creek!

Comment

Working...