• Show
Clear All
  • jking
    • May 2003
    • Des Moines, IA.
    • BT3100

Originally posted by Cochese
    A butter grater is pure genius though.
    Just a side note, I read a tip about making biscuits using butter in a breadbaking book. The author recommended freezing the butter and then using a box grater to grate the butter into pieces. It keeps the butter cold longer while mixing and provides the right size pieces of butter, too.

Anyway, in answer to one of the questions about why margarine spread instead of real butter. The reason I use spread instead of butter is simply because of the ease of spreading. The only things we use the spread on are things like toast and grilled cheese sandwiches. Any baking or other cooking we do uses real butter.

Comment

• jaybee
      Established Member
      • Feb 2006
      • Regina, SK, Canada
      • BT3100-1

Originally posted by jking
      The reason I use spread instead of butter is simply because of the ease of spreading.
      We use one of these:

A modern version of the centuries old French "beurrier", the Butter Bell crock keeps butter fresh and spreadable without refrigeration, spoilage, or odors.

We inherited a really old one. I think you couldn't have a farmstead without one. This new fangled electricity kinda fouled up a lot of good things

Comment

• Zenaca
        Established Member
        • Nov 2006
        • Idaho

Butter!!!! Cant stand grease in a bucket. (margarine)

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

Leehljp, I 100% agree with your butter post, but think that you may be onto something with making toast with the hf heat gun! Maybe convert a hot air popcorn popper to a butter toast toaster!
          capncarl

Comment

• DLyon
            Forum Newbie
            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by jaybee
            We use one of these:

A modern version of the centuries old French "beurrier", the Butter Bell crock keeps butter fresh and spreadable without refrigeration, spoilage, or odors.

We inherited a really old one. I think you couldn't have a farmstead without one. This new fangled electricity kinda fouled up a lot of good things

We use both butter and margarine. Our three year old twins were born very premature (27 weeks), so we are constantly trying to add calories to their meals/snacks. Over the last year I have transitioned from margarine to butter. Still not sure it's the best move as my family has a history of heart related issues. Anyway, the real comment I wanted to make is we leave our butter on the counter, never had a problem with spread ability.

Comment

• lrr
              Established Member
              • Apr 2006
              • Fort Collins, Colorado
              • Ryobi BT-3100

Originally posted by jaybee
              We use one of these:

A butter bell has been in our house for about 5 years. Works great. We have not had margarine in the house for years. When greasing a pan is called for, it is either butter, or vegetable or olive oil. I had a doctor years ago tell me to ditch the margarine, and I didn't ask for clarification ...
              Lee

Comment

• sailor55330
                Established Member
                • Jan 2010

We have used butter for years. The taste of margarine always reminded me of having white grease spread in my mouth. My wife bought a butter bell and thought it was the greatest thing ever. I hated it from day one. She agreed with me when she saw it molded in 3 days. It also had a tendency to fall out in warmer weather.

Comment

• dkerfoot
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2004
                  • Holland, Michigan
                  • Craftsman 21829

The "dangers" of butter were vastly oversold and I think most people who think about their food use real butter again. We were told that butter and lard were bad for us, and they gave us trans-fat laden science experiments instead. (A buddy of mine was a chemist for Land-O-Lakes and he wouldn't touch their butter substitutes). Instead of eating what actually tasted good, we learned to eat what we didn't like and it actually turned out to be worse for us!

On the rare occasions that I fry something, I now use only lard (usually that I have rendered myself). It is SO much better tasting when done right!

Make mine butter.
                  Doug Kerfoot
                  "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
                  "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                  KeyLlama.com

Comment

• sscherin
                    • Dec 2003
                    • Kennewick, WA, USA.

All butter in our house..

We get the Costco 4 lb pack of sticks for $10..

My version of toast.. ignore the toaster..

Get your pan med hot.. slice off a chunk of butter, throw it in in the pan and slap the bread down on it.. move it around to soak up the butter..

When it's brown it's done buttered and ready to eat.
                    William's Law--
                    There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it
                    cannot be solved by brute strength and ignorance.

Comment

• scmhogg
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                      • BT3000

I am butter all the way.

While we are on the subject, try to find some imported European butter. I buy Irish butter at my local Trader Joe's. Much better flavor and less water.

Steve
                      I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

Working...