• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

DC Pipe and Parts

As I continue the planning for my new shop the DC setup is causing much thought and head scratching. I have read most of the posts on the site related to DC including the great setups of LarryG & dbhost to name a few.

I have a Delta 50-760 and am considering adding the Super Dust Deputy cyclone as a prefilter. Now I am doing the 4", 5". 6" piping puzzle. As usual its cost vs efficiency and the old chestnut of whether more than 4" with the 50-760 will actually do any good anyway.

At this stage I am simply searching around to see where one can source the pipe work and fittings. If I go with metal then there are lots of places online to source from. If you start to look for the PVC pipe work I am at a loss as all I can find is the over spec'd sch 40 which is expensive. If I understand right then the lightweight waste pipe (sch 20?) is what is needed but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

So team, where have you folks found to source your DC pipe and fittings?
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

I've used the 4" waste pipe, although I don't think it's schedule 20. I found it at Home Depot. At the store near me it's kept in the same area as sprinkler parts.
    JR

Comment

• LarryG
      The Full Monte
      • May 2004
      • Off The Back
      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I used the 4" green sewer and drain pipe, which I think is what JR is referring to. Mine came from Lowe's. I don't know the schedule number, either, but the ASTM number is D 3034 (should be stamped on the pipe). The matching fittings are white in color and resemble the Schedule 40 stuff but are lighter in weight and, of course, much cheaper.
      Larry

Comment

• Relative
        Established Member
        • Mar 2007
        • Garden Grove, CA
        • Ridgid R4512

Absolute cheapest I've found is the cardboard rolls that some carpets come on. Got some for free from HD and used 4" stovepipe for corners. Just make sure to get the thick ones. Easy to cut and throw away if you make a mistake or just want to change the arrangement.

Mike
        Veterans are people who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America, for an amount up to and including their life.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2007
          • Buena Park, CA
          • CM 21829

Jon,
          I believe I'm using some type of PVC waste pipe as well, available from Home Depot. It's light and affordable, just have to fab some adapters to fit standard DC stuff. More in this thread.
          Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

I am using the thinwall 4" sch 20 sized but most likely not sch 20 waste pipe, it was relatively cheap, and easy to get from Lowes. They also have 6".

If I had the $$, and admittedly I don't, I would have gone with a true cyclone, and 6" ducting. Don't get me wrong, my Thien separator does a great job, but the HF DC does still lack that something extra..

The places where DC is less than what I want are the typical ones. At the miter saw, and the lathe. My miter saw hood does pretty well but it still could use some extra suction power...

I have always wondered, would I have been better off running a single run of 5" metal through the shop, and branched off to 4" legs where needed? Not sure I am willing to spend that much to find out...
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

I've found that the Rockler dc fittings adapt nicely to the sc20 4" pvc. That way I use the lowes/hd fittings for the 4" pvc for all the runs and drops and adapt to it to hose with Rockler Dust Right connections. Not advertising for Rockler but their rubber unions squeeze down on a lot of odd sizes I have and remove quickly from the machines.
              capncarl

Comment

• poolhound
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2006
                • Phoenix, AZ
                • BT3100

Well, just ordered the Super Dust Deputy and one of these (20 gal) to catch the chips etc. It has a metal clasp for the lid although not quite sure what the lid itself is made from.

I wonder if the top may need some reinforcement, what are others using for similar purposes? Also is anybody using a trash liner in the drum or does it cause issues when it doesnt have a bunch of chips weighing it down?
                Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2007
                  • Buena Park, CA
                  • CM 21829

Jon, I haven't used a liner in my trash can separator for fear that it would get sucked up into the impeller of my HF DC. You should get decent small chip collection into your 20gal container, but beware the planer. I was planing 2x6 lumber over the weekend (about 224 lin ft), and taking 6 passes at ~1/32 each pass, had to empty my 35gal can about 3 times...

As for the top, I use the Phil Thien's baffle design, so my top is 5/8 plywood I believe, same for the baffle underneath, with foam weatherstripping to seal the top to the can. Weight is sufficient to hold it down and seal; DC does the rest of the sealing when running.
                  Last edited by Bill in Buena Park; 12-01-2014, 06:46 PM.
                  Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• atgcpaul
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2003
                    • Maryland
                    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Is there any appreciable suction below the cyclone? If there were, wouldn't a bunch of fine dust be moving on to the filter? I use the smaller dust deputy connected to my shop vac to clean out the ash from my Big Green Egg. I don't notice any ash in the shopvac. Maybe toss a chunk of wood in the bottom of you're worried about it getting sucked up.

I think I saw in a magazine shop tip to use a coil of rebar wire mesh in the can to keep the bag in place and pushed against the sides of the can. When it's filled, you lift the wire mesh out.

BTW, can I ask how much you paid for your SDD and where you got it? Seems like Woodcraft is the only place local to me that sells it. I even got a 10% off coupon from WC for my BD but it's no good on Oneida stuff.

Comment

• poolhound
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2006
                      • Phoenix, AZ
                      • BT3100

Good to know Bill. Not sure how big the plastic bag is on my DC now (guess approx 20 gals) but when I am planing it sure does fill up quick. I don't recall ever having to empty it after one planer session but that is something to keep an eye on. Especially as my current plan is to have the DC outside the shop.

Originally posted by Bill in Buena Park
                      Jon, I haven't used a liner in my trash can separator for fear that it would get sucked up into the impeller of my HF DC. You should get decent small chip collection into your 20gal container, but beware the planer. I was planing 2x6 lumber over the weekend (about 224 lin ft), and taking 6 passes at ~1/32 each pass, had to empty my 35gal can about 3 times...

As for the top, I use the Phil Thien's baffle design, so my top is 5/8 plywood I believe, same for the baffle underneath, with foam weatherstripping to seal the top to the can. Weight is sufficient to hold it down and seal; DC does the rest of the sealing when running.
                      Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• capncarl
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • Leesburg Georgia USA
                        • SawStop CTS

There is suction upstream of the fan in the DC system, this includes the Thein or cyclone and any catch container under them. The lid on the trash can does not need to be fastened, suction will secure it for you. You can not physically get it off with the fan on! If it leaks you loose some efficiency, and it may whistle. Downstream of the fan, at the filter bag/cartridge and dust bag will be positive pressure.
                        capncarl

Comment

• poolhound
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2006
                          • Phoenix, AZ
                          • BT3100

It was 169.99 so basically the same as at the Oneida site. I also had a 10% coupon but could not use it. The kicker is the shipping. at Oneida it was something like $30+. At Amazon (which is Woodcraft) it was ~$16 but at Woodcraft direct is was only $6.80 making a total of $176,79

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                          Is there any appreciable suction below the cyclone? If there were, wouldn't a bunch of fine dust be moving on to the filter? I use the smaller dust deputy connected to my shop vac to clean out the ash from my Big Green Egg. I don't notice any ash in the shopvac. Maybe toss a chunk of wood in the bottom of you're worried about it getting sucked up.

I think I saw in a magazine shop tip to use a coil of rebar wire mesh in the can to keep the bag in place and pushed against the sides of the can. When it's filled, you lift the wire mesh out.

BTW, can I ask how much you paid for your SDD and where you got it? Seems like Woodcraft is the only place local to me that sells it. I even got a 10% off coupon from WC for my BD but it's no good on Oneida stuff.
                          Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• atgcpaul
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2003
                            • Maryland
                            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by poolhound
                            It was 169.99 so basically the same as at the Oneida site. I also had a 10% coupon but could not use it. The kicker is the shipping. at Oneida it was something like $30+. At Amazon (which is Woodcraft) it was ~$16 but at Woodcraft direct is was only $6.80 making a total of $176,79

OK, thanks. Looks like shipping will be just under $6 to my parents new place in DE. I'll see them at Christmas so I'll pick it up then.

My plan is to dismantle my HF DC and place the motor on top of the SDD and drum.

Comment

• jdon
                              Established Member
                              • Feb 2010
                              • Snoqualmie, Wash.
                              • BT3100

I've seen a couple of DC's (e.g. Grizzly G0703) which have a small hose connected between the vacuum (cyclone) and the bottom of the dust collection can. I think it creates suction in the can to keep the liner stuck to the wall of the can, preventing it from being sucked up into the throat of the cyclone.

Comment

Working...