• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jabe
    • Apr 2006
    • Hilo, Hawaii
    • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

Volcano

Aloha all, say a prayer for the people of Pahoa Town on my island Hawaii (Big Island), they are about to be over run by lava. It's a slow moving flow that started on June 27, it should reach the first home tonight or early tomorrow. It's about 70 yds. from the nearest home. Go to KGMB.com or KITV.com for photos or videos, the power of Pele (HAWAIIAN Volcano Goddess) awesome sight. If you ever visit my Island lava/volcano viewing is a must see.
  • jabe
    • Apr 2006
    • Hilo, Hawaii

1 st home taken by lava today

The lava front stalled for 10 days but a upper flow broke out and took the first home about 12:40 pm today. It's about 20 ft. from the next structure now but it seems to be stalling again. See it on KITV.com. This volcano has been none stop since 1983, yes that's 31 yrs. It's putting out about 100,000 cu ft. of lava everyday, at it's peak it puts out 300 to 500,000 cu ft. of molten lava per day.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2007
      • Buena Park, CA
      • CM 21829

Jabe, I will keep these families in my prayers. I had a chance to visit Big Island about 5-6 years ago, visited Volcano National Park, drove past all the old calderas and down to the bottom of the flow near the ocean (where it all looks like you're on the moon) - very awesome sight. It was a bit too much for LOML, she was a little paranoid about all the warnings about the shelf breaking off (which we would not have done anyway) so we didn't go out to the active flow.
      Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• jabe
        • Apr 2006
        • Hilo, Hawaii

I meant to say 100,000 cu yds. of lava per day and at it's peak it fluctuates 300,000 to 500,000 cu yds..

Bill glad U experienced seeing the volcano. Hiking along the newly formed shelf/shore line is hazardous, U & wife were wise to be careful & respectful. We welcome all visitors to our state, especially now with that cold front moving in on the continent.

This recent flow is flowing into private property so the police & national guard are not allowing visitors to see this flow. It's a slow moving flow so imagine what these people are going through waiting for the inevitable to happen. Most of the locals are farmers/ranchers/small businesses and a lot of ordinary working folks, I feel for them. To see the flow your best bet is to do the helicopter tour or watch it on line KGMB.com or KITV.com.

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

That has got to be real torture knowing your house is about to be destroyed and not being able to do anything about it. I'm guessing they have plenty of time to empty their house, though, right? Can you insure your house against this? I can't imagine you could rebuild on the same property, though.

My wife actively trolls for jobs in Hawaii. It's not a biotech hub so not much for me, but I tell her if she lands a big job, I can be Mr. Mom and take up surfing although the prospect of shark attacks (irrational, I know) will keep me out. She's been through Hawaii tons of times when she was growing up in the Marshall Islands.

When we visit I can instantly tell she feels at home. Last time she brought back about 15lbs of frozen Portuguese sausage in our luggage. We did a circle island tour of the big island when I first visited--long day on a bus. We drove up to Mauna Loa but just a bunch of smoke. I like the relative "convenience" of stuff around Honolulu, but that traffic would really get on my nerves real soon. I haven't done Kauai yet, but last time we spent the most time on Maui. By far it's my favorite. We stayed at a B&B not far from the road entrance to Haleakala. We did one of those downhill bike descents starting at sunrise. Breathtaking.

I am going to wear a Hawaiian shirt to work today. Now if I could only find some plate lunch for lunch today...
          Last edited by atgcpaul; 11-13-2014, 07:02 AM.

Comment

• jabe
            • Apr 2006
            • Hilo, Hawaii

Glad U enjoyed your stay at our Islands atcpaul. Yeah, poor people of Pahoa & the Puna district can't imagine trying to sleep at nite while that lava creeps down towards your home. If the home owners have fire insurance it'll be covered if the house ignites b4 the lava touches it. The heat is about 2,000 degrees or more so the wooden homes will ignite b4 the lava touches the structure. That's one of the reason Y the civil defense people are allowing the home owners to witness/take pictures of the home igniting b4 the lava touches it. Yes once the lava covers the property U can't rebuild for a long time. Even when the lava crust/harden on the top it still can be molten/hot underneath for years.
            Glad U love portugese sausage, got to try the home made ones made with wild hog meat. Some of the locals make'um with wild sheep, goat and marlin "ONO"
            (hawaiian for taste good). When visiting the islands U gotta eat the local foods at the mom & pop restaurant/drive in "plate lunch". Glad U have an Aloha Shirt.

Comment

Working...