• Show
Clear All
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

I'm like a bad cold

Hard to get rid of for any length of time.

Lots of stuff happening here. We moved to a one story home in a town we previously lived in for 25 years. Just a short distance from where we were. I'll be busy for quite a while, but hoping to join you frequently again.

Although I was totally comfortable where we were, my wife really needed the change to make things easier for her. I knew when I agreed to move that it was entirely possible I would have to lose some of my tools because there is no basement, and not much other space for them. If I had to lose all of my tools, it would be worth it to make her life easier. I actually like the move, with the exception of the lost space.

So now come the questions. I will likely lose a few tools, but I can find room in an unheated garage for my table saw, drill press, miter saw, planer, and a few other things. I have never been faced with the problem of rust. Is it a huge mistake to keep my tools in an unheated garage? What are good options to use for preventing rust that would be suitable for tools like this? I actually thought about selling my stuff, but if I sell it for a fair price, it would cost me two or three times what I would get out of it if I needed to buy them again. Any suggestions that might help would be most appreciated.

Good to be back.

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I run a dehumidifier in my garage all summer and keep the doors closed whenever possible. It goes a long way towards preventing rust, but isn't perfect.

If you can, insulate. Even in an unheated space it helps to moderate the swings in temperature and reduces condensation.
    Chr's

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

If you are planning to just store tools for a long time, you could use Cosmoline, or even Vaseline. Waxes are fairly temporary and I don't usually use them. For tools that will be used, IMO, TopCote lasts longer, and is easier to use than wax.

Comment

• greenacres2
        • Dec 2011
        • La Porte, IN
        • Ryobi BT3000

Hello Ed--and greetings from La Porte, IN. My garage is unheated, and while heat would be preferable for my tools (even some for me wouldn't hurt!!), they have fared pretty well. The worst is the mid-winter thaw...that quick rise from below freezing to 62 degrees every winter--dew settles everywhere.

Since is started using Boeshield the visible damage has become almost none, but my intent is to cover the cast iron when the quick swings happen in the winter. The warm-up we had late-January or early February this year had condensation on everything in there for a few days--hopefully getting some king of cover on the table saw, band saw and jointer when that is forecast will help.

earl

Comment

• Ed62
          The Full Monte
          • Oct 2006
          • NW Indiana
          • BT3K

Thanks for the replies. I wouldn't use temporary heat because of the temperature variations, so if it's too cold for me, I won't be making any sawdust.

Hey Earl! One of my sons has a place north of Rolling Prarie, just about 3 miles from Michigan. Thanks for the tip about the cover. I hadn't thought of that. But my jointer won't get covered because I don't have one.

Ed
          Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

Working...