Self retracting cord reel reccomendations?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

You would think that something like that would have an adjustment built in on the roller. Extension cords vary in thickness. Maybe if it is just spring tensioned, the spring is too weak. You shouldn't have to wonder why your winder doesn't.
    Lee

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

suppose the rollers weren't guiding the cord into the basket right, would the wonder winder be wandering?

if the wonder winder were only winding the thicker heavier parts of the cord would the wonder winder be winnowing?

if Elmer Fudd used it and he could wind up cord but not extract it would the wonder winder be Watcheting?

I'm going to stop now...
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• radhak
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • Miramar, FL
        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Ha Ha, guys, you are a riot !

But as a fellow owner of the winder, I'm interested in analyzing its functioning. I think Dave has diagnosed it right - the material used is a bit too hard/stiff to grip the power cord.

I never paid it much attention, just griped to myself, but I want to take it down today and try tweaking it a bit to get to work more consistently. Maybe add a layer of rubber....?
        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
        - Aristotle

Comment

• Cochese
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2010

I don't honestly know. My breaker usually goes first.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
          I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• radhak
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2006
            • Miramar, FL
            • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Dave,

I surprise myself - I'm back with a quick update!

When I took the winder off the wall to the floor and observed its working, I realized that there are two rollers that grab the cord and pull it - one the large wheel, and the other on the yoke/paddle. This means that I can't add anything to either of those parts to better the grip; it only worsens it.

At the same, the grip between these rollers is not the problem; the cord starts slipping when it moves to either side of the roller; they are the sort of 'dead zones' of this device.

I was lucky that I had some Styrofoam handy from my printer toner that had arrived yesterday, and a part of it fit nicely.

I cut a part of it and inserted it in the winder, as a guide for the cord.

I'm happy to report that this seems to work extremely well. I have pulled the entire cable out and wound it back in, twice. It worked fine, without a single glitch!

The only issue seems to be the small whine when the cord or the roller rubs against the styrofoam; other than the noise, it might also wear down with use. But at least I know what will fix it, next time!

I'm guessing a piece of cardboard or hardboard should work just as fine or better than styrofoam. I wish the manufacturer would fix this so we don't have to gerrymander it!
            It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
            - Aristotle

Comment

• radhak
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2006
              • Miramar, FL
              • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by Stytooner
              You would think that something like that would have an adjustment built in on the roller. Extension cords vary in thickness. Maybe if it is just spring tensioned, the spring is too weak. You shouldn't have to wonder why your winder doesn't.
              Actually, Lee, there is no spring tension. You are supposed to press down the yoke with one hand while you wind the wheel with the other.

Another design lapse from the manufacturer, I feel.
              - Aristotle

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by radhak
                Dave,

I surprise myself - I'm back with a quick update!

When I took the winder off the wall to the floor and observed its working, I realized that there are two rollers that grab the cord and pull it - one the large wheel, and the other on the yoke/paddle. This means that I can't add anything to either of those parts to better the grip; it only worsens it.

At the same, the grip between these rollers is not the problem; the cord starts slipping when it moves to either side of the roller; they are the sort of 'dead zones' of this device.

I was lucky that I had some Styrofoam handy from my printer toner that had arrived yesterday, and a part of it fit nicely.

I cut a part of it and inserted it in the winder, as a guide for the cord.

I'm happy to report that this seems to work extremely well. I have pulled the entire cable out and wound it back in, twice. It worked fine, without a single glitch!

The only issue seems to be the small whine when the cord or the roller rubs against the styrofoam; other than the noise, it might also wear down with use. But at least I know what will fix it, next time!

I'm guessing a piece of cardboard or hardboard should work just as fine or better than styrofoam. I wish the manufacturer would fix this so we don't have to gerrymander it!
                Holy cheese and crackers that is awesome! That makes perfect sense!

So I guess I need to make a sort of "guide" to make the cord stay centered on the wheel as it pays in and out? If it's that simple, and the Wonder Winder that Wanders (dangit Loring!) lives up to its advertised function with that minor modification, I will be a happy camper... I don't need automatic, I need easy winding and storage for my cords...
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• radhak
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2006
                  • Miramar, FL
                  • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by dbhost
                  Holy cheese and crackers that is awesome! That makes perfect sense!

So I guess I need to make a sort of "guide" to make the cord stay centered on the wheel as it pays in and out? If it's that simple, and the Wonder Winder that Wanders (dangit Loring!) lives up to its advertised function with that minor modification, I will be a happy camper... I don't need automatic, I need easy winding and storage for my cords...
                  Exactamundo! That's all you need to do - prevent the cable from shifting to the sides of the wheel. If you look carefully, they did provide tiny triangular guides next to the roller to attempt this, but they are too small to work.

I have used that reel a couple of times since then, and it's working great! Of course, that noise is not abating, so I'm guessing that styrofoam is gonna break any day, and I'd need to design a guide with hardboard.
                  - Aristotle

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

a couple of wooden wedges and some glue...?
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• RAV2
                      Established Member
                      • Aug 2007
                      • Massachusetts

I have the Winder as well in the garage.

It relies on pressure between the hand lever and wheel.

It will slip if the cord is wet - like after removing snow with an electric blower.

How about placing a strip of self-adhesive sand paper around the wheel attached to the winding handle?

(Parts are available from the manufacturer here - http://www.grnleafinc.com/WONDERWIND...eplacement.asp )

Comment

• iibgdi
                        Handtools only
                        • Oct 2013

Guys, I used to be a vendor for the folks at Green Leaf until I was promoted and left the area. GREAT people. Nice little company.

When I knew them it was locally owned. That was about 15 years ago.

The owners name was Mike Goda. Based on my history with him, I am positive that this is something he would be very interested in hearing about.

I no longer have his contact info but I did find an email on their website for a guy that I believe to be his son, Teko. tagoda@grnleafinc.com

Here is a link to their website http://grnleafinc.com/CUSTOMERSUPPORT/Green_Sales.asp

Like I said, it used to be a fairly small company and I have a feeling they still are. I think they would be very appreciative of the feed back.

Comment

• radhak
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2006
                          • Miramar, FL
                          • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

That's good info. I'll try and provide some feedback to them. I rather like the product for simplicity, just needs to iron out this kink. I think Lee's suggestion of providing spring tension has merit too.

Rav2, you're right - this won't solve the wet cord problem. But not sure if sand paper might abrade the cord too much. I think they could add some grooves on the smaller wheel like they have on the larger wheel.
                          - Aristotle

Comment

Working...