• Show
Clear All
  • John Hunter
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Lake Station, IN, USA.
    • BT3000 & BT3100

BT3100 dreaded belt replacement

On my second BT and finnaly had a set of belts go bad. I still have an old BT3000 that has never had the belts replaced but I was using the newer BT3100 last night (right in the middle of building new kitchen cabinets) and the blade stopped while cutting a 3/4" oak board. No binding but I knew right away from years of reading on this board that the belts were gone. Unpluged the saw and opened it up and confirmed it. Took it all apart last night so that it would be ready to install the belts when they get here and called Ryobi this morning. WOW was I shocked at the cost of replacement belts! Total was $82.53 which included Indiana sales tax. And they told me it could be 8-10 days for shipping. Good thing I still have the old BT3000 or the wife's kitchen would be torn up a lot longer and not finished in time for Christmas.
    John Hunter
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

First, welcome back!

WOW belts are that much..... almost like EOL cycle, thats nearly a third of the saw when new, no?

Good luck on the cabinets, post when they are done.
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• John Hunter
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Lake Station, IN, USA.
      • BT3000 & BT3100

Originally posted by chopnhack
      First, welcome back!

WOW belts are that much..... almost like EOL cycle, thats nearly a third of the saw when new, no?

Good luck on the cabinets, post when they are done.
      Thanks, good to be back, just got busy with a lot of things. My local wood workers club right up at the top.

The cost of the belts really was a shock! I did not remember them costing that much. I ripped a lot of 4 x 4 lumber last summer and am guessing that strained them and they just finally let go. Actually when I tore the saw down it looked like one belt may have been all that was working at the time.
      John Hunter

Comment

• chopnhack
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Florida
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by John Hunter
        Thanks, good to be back, just got busy with a lot of things. My local wood workers club right up at the top.
        Lucky dog...

Originally posted by John Hunter
        The cost of the belts really was a shock! I did not remember them costing that much. I ripped a lot of 4 x 4 lumber last summer and am guessing that strained them and they just finally let go. Actually when I tore the saw down it looked like one belt may have been all that was working at the time.
        Ain't that amazing! It really is a great little saw. Lightweight and well engineered.
        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

wow - $37.23 at Sears for 22811 saw PART NUMBER: 662329001 (also listed for BT3100, BT3000)
          $29.83 for belt listed for 21829 saw PART NUMBER: 424010003

and of course you need 2
          used to be $10 or less apiece.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• John Hunter
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Lake Station, IN, USA.
            • BT3000 & BT3100

Yeah I checked Sears too. Wonder why the big price increase.
            John Hunter

Comment

• JimD
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Lexington, SC.

Makes me glad I bought two sets when I only needed one. I haven't used the second set yet but if I do, I will save some.

Jim

Comment

• Stytooner
                Roll Tide RIP Lee
                • Dec 2002
                • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                • BT3100

S..ell
                E..verything
                A..bove
                R..etail
                S..tore

That is unless you get some major discounts.

They used to be much cheaper I think.
                Maybe $25 shipped for a pair.
                Lee

Comment

• cabinetman
                  Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

That's pretty incredible for belts for that saw. With the cost of some of the parts they could give the saw away. A lot like some PC printers. They might go for $79 and the cartridges could cost that.

I found out the first time I needed to change the belts (3) on a Unisaw. OEM is a set of 3. Buying 3 belts at an automotive store isn't the same. But, in a jam, the saw will run on 1 belt.

Comment

• Skaning
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Nov 2010

Quick answer is the saw was discontinued about 5 years ago. Ryobi would prefer you scrap the saw so they can discontinue parts stocking. Not going to completely happen right away but by driving repair parts prices up, particularly with a captive market, they will push that process along.

Sears used to do something like that. After a period of time they would obsolete a model. No matter that the same part was still being used in newer models. The 1/2 horse water pump seal kit comes to mind as a classic. Bought a used one, needed seal kit. Model in parts book was obsolete and new clerk was no help. Found a gal back there that had been working parts since Eve bit the apple. Told her what I needed and she grabbed it off of the shelf. Told me that EVERY Sears water pump, shallow well and jets used that seal set since before WW2 and still did when they went to plastic housings.

Comment

• woodturner
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 2008
                      • Western Pennsylvania
                      • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                      wow - $37.23 at Sears for 22811 saw PART NUMBER: 662329001 (also listed for BT3100, BT3000)
                      $29.83 for belt listed for 21829 saw PART NUMBER: 424010003
                      Are the belts for the 21829 the same as the BT3100 belts?
                      FWIW, they are $22.79 at ereplacementparts.com

If we can figure out the specs on the belt, they are probably available for less from a power transmission shop.
                      Last edited by woodturner; 12-18-2012, 12:07 PM.
                      --------------------------------------------------
                      Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• worknhard
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Jan 2011
                        • Denver, CO
                        • BT3000, Shopsmith 510, Luna combo machine

Less than 6 months ago you could purchase these belts at $16.02 each from Sears. It is amazing the price has more than doubled. It might be worth checking with the belt manufacturer to see if they are available direct or perhaps thru a distribution source. The belt manufacturer is Bando, belt no. 106H. Of course it may be an item that Bando only produces on-demand, hence the high cost.

Comment

• worknhard
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Jan 2011
                          • Denver, CO
                          • BT3000, Shopsmith 510, Luna combo machine

I just did a quick Google search on belt no. 424010003 which is the Sears part number for model 21829 saw (takes same belt as BT3000/3100) and came up with the following sources and prices:

Amazon/Ryobi, $19.67 http://www.amazon.com/Ryobi-424010003-Table-Saw-V-Belt/dp/B009YERWHW

Ryobi tools outlet, $16.99. http://www.ryobitoolsoutlet.com/m7/TTI-424010003--ryobi-power-tool-part-424010003-v-belt-106h9-bando.html

M&D Power and Appliance, $18.43. http://www.m-and-d.com/TTI-424010003.html

ereplacementparts.com $22.79. http://www.ereplacementparts.com/v-belt-p-1094438.html

Comment

• John Hunter
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2004
                            • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                            • BT3000 & BT3100

Sheesh the site I orderd from is http://www.ryobitools.com/support/order_parts linked directly from the Ryobi website! I just called to cancel the order but they are closed until tomorrow.
                            John Hunter

Comment

• John Hunter
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2004
                              • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                              • BT3000 & BT3100

worknhard,

Thanks for finding me a better price! You saved me $30.00 as I was able to cancel the order and reorder today.

A warning to anyone else ordering parts. The site I originally ordered from was a direct link from the Ryobi page. I had also checked Sears.

The good site http://www.ryobitoolsoutlet.com/

The bad site https://www.gardnerinc.com/recons/splash-PT.php This is the site that is directly linked from the Ryobi website
                              http://www.ryobitools.com/
                              and click on service and support then click on order parts. They told me they are the direct distributor for Ryobi.
                              John Hunter

Comment

Working...