• Show
Clear All
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Another Handle/Blade Raise/Bevel Question

I've had difficulty for some time raising the blade and setting bevels. The handle didn't seem to engage and turn or tilt anything. Assuming it was just saw dust build up and being too lazy and short on time, I ignored it (dumb, dumb, dumb...)

EDIT..definitely a bevel issue, not a raising issue. I thought there was an issue with that pin egaging the shaft, but that was wrong. That shaft does engage fine when set to raise. I just can't set a bevel without effort--basiclly pulling the handle out towards me. Is that normal? I don't remember having to do that before.

I did not take anything apart yet, but I will be shortly. Just came in for a quick break and figure I would ask on here.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by JoeyGee; 08-23-2014, 12:02 PM.
    Joe
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Joe, are you saying that the lever behind the wheel is not properly functioning to alternate between the position for raising/lowering the blade and the position to tilt the blade for bevel cuts? I know on my 21828, the lever sometimes does not fully engage into the bevel position until I move it substantially, and move the wheel a little, and it feels like something engages, then I can tilt the blade, and then when I move it back to the bevel lock position, it will let me raise/lower the blade. I thought this was "normal".
    Last edited by Bill in Buena Park; 08-24-2014, 01:40 AM.
    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• All Thumbs
      Established Member
      • Oct 2009
      • Penn Hills, PA
      • BT3K/Saw-Stop

Make sure the screw that holds your adjustment handwheel on is secure. I had this happen a couple of weeks ago and thought I had stripped a gear or something and it turned out the screw that holds my handwheel on wasn't snug.

Comment

• Ed62
        The Full Monte
        • Oct 2006
        • NW Indiana
        • BT3K

Originally posted by JoeyGee
        I just can't set a bevel without effort--basiclly pulling the handle out towards me. Is that normal? I don't remember having to do that before.
        I think that's normal. My BT3000 has always worked that way, and I've had it for quite a few years with no problem.

Ed
        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• mpc
          • Feb 2005
          • Cypress, CA, USA.
          • BT3000 orig 13amp model

Setting the bevel on my saw does not take much force on the handwheel and I don't have to pull it while turning it either. Is the control lever (the one that switches from blade elevation to blade angle) all the way over? If not, you'll have to pull on the wheel while changing blade angle. My control lever needs one last bit of slight persuasion to get to the blade angle mode; then when I turn the handwheel slightly there is a mechanical "pop" once the mechanism engages and the blade angle starts changing.

This is on an original 13amp style BT3000. Haven't tried a later style nor BT3100.

mpc

Comment

• JoeyGee
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • Sylvania, OH, USA.
            • BT3100-1

Thanks for the replies. The handle that changes from bevel to elevation seems to work fine and I thought I had been moving t far enough, but tonight after work I'll have to check it to maybe see if I'm not pushing it enough.
            Joe

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by JoeyGee
              Thanks for the replies. The handle that changes from bevel to elevation seems to work fine and I thought I had been moving t far enough, but tonight after work I'll have to check it to maybe see if I'm not pushing it enough.
              Joe, did you solve this problem?

I took my Japan BT3000 saw apart completely and brought it back in a crate. After re-assemblying it, it has a problem similar to yours. Since I use my USA side BT3100 the most, it hasn't bothered me that much.

However, now that I am occasionally doing repairs on my house, I use my BT3000 which is on a Bosch Gravity Rise stand. The more I use the 3000, the more frustrated I get. The lever/gear lets the angle of the blade jump off by about 10° immediately everytime I shift out of the bevel setting. Even holding the wheel or the blade, it shifts. After reading your post and others on this thread, I figure I need to tighten the screw, which I thought I had done properly on re-assemblying (a year ago).

Just curious if yours is working now?

Thanks for this thread
              Last edited by leehljp; 09-02-2014, 08:04 PM.
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• JoeyGee
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2005
                • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                • BT3100-1

No, I haven't really fixed it. I did find a set screw that fell out from somewhere in the saw, which may or may not be part of the mechanism that the handle/shaft fit into when engaging the bevel function. It will work better if I pull back on the handle while adjusting the bevel, but that is a real pain.

Mine does the same 10 degree jump. That's really frustrating.

I haven't really had time to work on it and am somewhat resigned to just dealing with it until I replace the saw. I really don't bevel the blade too much. School just started for my kids, so most of my time will be going to their activities, anyway.
                Joe

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

I am going to be out of town for a few days and busy through most of next week. But when I get a few free hours, I am going to dig into it. If anyone else figures that out, please let us know.
                  Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
                    • Aug 2007
                    • Minneapolis, MN
                    • BT-3000, 21829

I've had the same problem since I got my Craftsman zipcode BT3000.

I thought this problem was just normal.

Anxiously awaiting a solution.

This forum is da bomb!
                    You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
                    of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

sometimes the lever that switches bevel and elevation is a little loose and won't stay at the extreme end of its travel and the bevel slips when that happens. I have to hold the lever all the way to the (left I think?) to move the bevel. When the lever is in between ends neither bevel nor elevation is fully engaged.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• sscherin
                        • Dec 2003
                        • Kennewick, WA, USA.

Add me to the bevel jump curiosity clan.. my BT3000 does the same thing.
                        William's Law--
                        There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it
                        cannot be solved by brute strength and ignorance.

Comment

• frumper64
                          Established Member
                          • Feb 2004
                          • Garland, Tx, USA.

One more for the bevel jump club. Mine only does a couple of degrees, but it's really frustrating when trying to set an exact angle. I usually end up making multiple attempts before I get it to stay where I wanted it.
                          Jim
                          64sedan_at_gmail.com

Comment

• JoeyGee
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2005
                            • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                            • BT3100-1

Sorry, guys. Since originally posting this, I have had very little shop time and no time to investigate further. Fortunately, I have not had to bevel anything lately. It has got me to thinking, while no TS is perfect, the BT as we all know can be finicky. Given my very limited shop time, I have been seriously considering moving to a TS that isn't quite so finicky.

Maybe it's just an excuse to upgrade, but I'm thinking I want something a little more robust.
                            Joe

Comment

• mmcmac
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Nov 2014

Originally posted by leehljp
                              I took my Japan BT3000 saw apart completely and brought it back in a crate. After re-assemblying it, it has a problem similar to yours. Since I use my USA side BT3100 the most..
                              That raises an interesting point (well maybe just to me). Do you know where the bt3000 purchased in Japan was manufactured? I'm assuming it would be a saw manufactured for the local Japanese market vs. a western market import item. If so how much of the saw labelling itself was localized? I'd assume printed documentation would be.

Comment

Working...