X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

Part of the problem in people not having a lot of shop time is that a project contest just adds something else to the to-do list. I can't imagine when people get into the workshop they just go in and piddle away.

I think the content problem more comes about because you have a relatively small userbase, and when things are posted, at times it seems like they are ignored. Perhaps it is the quality of work I do, but I've posted threads and content that had views but no interaction. I can get that on my website, where I've pretty much done for anything that didn't involve a request for input.

Something I have way more need for than a prize of any sort from a contest is to build a lathe stand. That's why I suggested perhaps a bigger window and not a lot of restrictions. The other reason I probably wouldn't participate in a contest is that I know I wouldn't win - I don't have the skill nor the vision to compete with anyone but a beginner.
    I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• tfischer
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2003
      • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
      • BT3100

Originally posted by JoeyGee
      Sixty minutes is really an arbitrary number. I just One of the main complaints about this site is lack of traffic, which many say is because there is no content. Many also say there is no content because there is no real time for woodworking.
      I love the spirit of the idea. While the particulars may need tweaking, I think this is the kind of brainstorming we need to keep coming.

Comment

• durango dude
        • Mar 2011
        • a thousand or so feet above insanity
        • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

Well - I just finished my weekend warrior project.

Most of my wood is rough stuff that I recover from pallets and torn-down barns ---- so I run it through the planer and jointer to get it ready.

If I had a wood milling dispensation -- my project could be completed in 60 minutes.

My suggestion is "weekend warrior" project ---- something that can be completed reasonably over the course of a weekend ---- and perhaps with a limited amount of wood.

Comment

• gerti
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2003
          • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
          • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Working with dangerous tools in a competition against the clock seems like a really bad idea.

Comment

• JoeyGee
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • Sylvania, OH, USA.
            • BT3100-1

I never envisioned this contest to be a race against the clock and would never suggest anything that would be remotely unsafe. I guess I didn't do a good enough job of explaining where I was coming from.

Looks like it's not a popular idea. No big deal, it was worth a try to float it out there.

Any other idea to drive traffic? A lot suggested the 2x6 contest. Is there interest in that? Other ideas?
            Joe

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

Good gracious folks, there are lots of projects that can be done in an hour. Quit thinking complicated jointery, intricate designs, large size and a shop full of tools.

A cross
              a pencil holder
              a small what-not shelf
              a pen

Others - limited by your imagination and NOT dangerous!
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by leehljp
                Good gracious folks, there are lots of projects that can be done in an hour. Quit thinking complicated jointery, intricate designs, large size and a shop full of tools.

A cross
                a pencil holder
                a small what-not shelf
                a pen

Others - limited by your imagination and NOT dangerous!
                IF it is dangerous to RUSH, then think of a more simple project! The danger is trying to out do eveyone with a multi hour complicated project shoe horned into one hour for the sake of outdoing someone else. It doesn't have to be that way! Lots of simple projects!

4, 6, 8 cuts, two router trims, 4 to 6 screws or brad nails, a few swipes of sandpaper and waxed!

Simple things make life enjoyable!

I personally think it would be enjoyable to see some bright ideas that are simple to make. Very encouraging to see these and highly motivating to others!

(I was trying to add this in to the previous post as an "Edit" but accidentally hit "Quote) instead.)
                Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• durango dude
                  • Mar 2011
                  • a thousand or so feet above insanity
                  • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

Well - I just finished a simple wooden container for my Rockler Bench Dog set that Santa dropped off. It's not super impressive or anything --- but it's functional. I enjoyed making it.

Comment

• Black wallnut
                    cycling to health
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                    • BT3k 1999

This thread is only a couple days old and already there are 10 yes votes. I think by tweaking the scope of the contest you might get more participants.
                    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• BadeMillsap
                      • Dec 2005
                      • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
                      • Grizzly G1023SL

Originally posted by leehljp
                      4, 6, 8 cuts, two router trims, 4 to 6 screws or brad nails, a few swipes of sandpaper and waxed!

Simple things make life enjoyable!
                      Lee - while I agree that it is possible to make simple things in an hour ... I have zero interest in making something simply for the sake of filling an hour. I enjoy making things that have a purpose, hopefully that others will enjoy and challenge my limited skills. New joinery methods, learning to create a curved laminated piece that required figuring out (and multiple attempts at) the necessary jig, something my family would consider saving when I am long gone ... those are the reasons I go into the shop and build things.

For me (and speaking ONLY for me) a project that has a time limit on it would not be an enjoyable project and thus I voted "no" but for those interested ... power to you. Just making it clear it isn't necessarily lack of vision but lack of purpose in my case. Carry on ...
                      "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
                      Bade Millsap
                      Bulverde, Texas
                      => Bade's Personal Web Log
                      => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• JoeyGee
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2005
                        • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                        • BT3100-1

I am open to suggestions. Time limit or not, I just wanted something to spur activity, given that a lot of people mentioned "no time" as the main factor for not actively woodworking or posting projects.

My original parameters were these, and honestly completely off the top of my head:

1) 60 minutes ( 2 hours? 3 Hours?)
                        2) Not counting glue and finish DRYING time (application time would be included)
                        3) Anything goes--fancy, not fancy, useful jig, whatever
                        3) Assume starting from a S4S material, since some of will by default with no access to planers and jointers. If you do prepare rough stock, I would not count that time.
                        4) Above all, BE SAFE. This is NOT intended to be a race. The time limit was proposed to allow for a quick and easy project to be built. Quick and easy projects>No Projects
                        5) DO we want to limit materials? Size? Go back to the 2x6 contest?

If you have addendum's or completely different ideas, let's hear them. Just talking about this challenge has already generated some site activity, LOL. I want this to be somewhat open-ended to see what everyone comes up with. If we want more defined parameters, that's fine, too. Let's come up with something a lot of people would participate in.

I also originally proposed we promote this on other sites, social media and in other WWing communities. Something fun to generate traffic here. People love contests.
                        Joe

Comment

• mpc
                          • Feb 2005
                          • Cypress, CA, USA.
                          • BT3000 orig 13amp model

Lots of folks have posted (elsewhere on BT3central) about the "mess" their shop is in. How about a different type of contest: instead of a time-limited project, what about a shop organization challenge: say "innovative clamp racks" or "storage/organization ideas for ????" such as blades, tool stands, tool storage, etc. Storage/organization for items most woodworkers would have, not storage for items few folks likely own... i.e. the contest should not be "storage ideas for 40 inch wide drum sander belts" or "storage for David Marks aircraft-carrier size jointers." Besides clamp racks, another idea that jumps to mind is a sharpening station & storage center... with extra points for self-made jigs/fixtures for sharpening lathe tools, chisels, hand plane blades, etc.

Besides being a home for the BT3 series of table saws, BT3central was always especially helpful for woodworking rookies. Seeing various shop ideas might inspire folks on the fence. Or show those that see the TV shows with gazillion-dollar shops that you don't need to spend tons of money on the shop, on the various specialty tools out there, etc. to get started. Sharpening tools are a prime example of this - you can spend hundreds of dollars on gizmos to help with sharpening, machined things to hold stones & move hand plane blades over it, gizmos to hold all sorts of turning tools, etc.

mpc

Comment

• capncarl
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2007
                            • Leesburg Georgia USA
                            • SawStop CTS

For a lot of members shop time is precious and can not be squandered building some what not for a contest, mcp is right, just being able to get enough time to sweep the floor or unload the clutter from the workbench is a treat. Maybe a shop related contest is a step in the right direction and get ev home going again.
                            capncarl

Comment

• Stytooner
                              Roll Tide RIP Lee
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                              • BT3100

Okay. We just went from an hour long project to a 10+ year one for me apparently.
                              Lee

Comment

• Black wallnut
                                cycling to health
                                • Jan 2003
                                • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                                • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by Stytooner
                                Okay. We just went from an hour long project to a 10+ year one for me apparently.

I submit we just have a "contest" best overall project for the time span 1-1 through 2-28. Size does not matter, just post your best work.

Or best jig.

When woodworking was my passion I would spend time in the shop making small things just to be making something. A step stool that I use to this day in my bathroom is one of those projects.
                                Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

Working...