• trungdok
    Established Member
    • Oct 2012
    • MA

5 in. Ryobi ROS $30 at HD

5 in. Random Orbit Sander in Green
    Model # RS290G
    $30 with free in store pick up

Not exactly super cheap, but cheap enough if you're looking for a 5 in. ROS. Obviously it's not comparable to any of the more famous brands.
  • phrog
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2005
    • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Anyone have any experience with this sander? I have, for the most part, had very good luck with Ryobi tools. I'm still using a Ryobi tool (like a Dremel) that I have had over 30 years (and used a LOT). Still works like a champion. I've got several other Ryobi tools and all are still working.
    Richard

Comment

• durango dude
      • Mar 2011
      • a thousand or so feet above insanity
      • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

What - you don't want to buy a Fein or Festool???????

For just a few dollars more, I'd go with Bosch or Ridgid. You can
      pick up a reconditioned Ridgid (3 amps) for about $40.

I'd note the Ryobi lacks variable speed ---- which is something I've found
      to be pretty useful.

Comment

• sailor55330
        Established Member
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by durango dude
        What - you don't want to buy a Fein or Festool???????
        I actually saw my first Festool in person this weekend at a Woodcraft store. Do people really pay $545 for a sander and $700+ for a track saw?

What am I missing here? These things must do way more than cut and sand a little wood, right?

Comment

• frumper64
          Established Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Garland, Tx, USA.

No experience with this one, but I did have an old blue Ryobi ROS a while back. It was okay but had a lot of vibration. I finally went with a Bosch ROS to replace it and like it a lot more.
          Jim
          64sedan_at_gmail.com

Comment

• Cochese
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2010

Originally posted by sailor55330
            I actually saw my first Festool in person this weekend at a Woodcraft store. Do people really pay $545 for a sander and $700+ for a track saw?
            Yes. Many here, actually.

What am I missing here? These things must do way more than cut and sand a little wood, right?
            Probably better reserved for it's own thread where the responses can be better explained. In a nutshell, you have quality, convenience, and intangibles.
            I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• poolhound
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Phoenix, AZ
              • BT3100

CPO Outlets is always a good place to look for deals on new and recon'd tools. If cheap is what you are looking for then you can get the blue version of this Ryobi for $17.

Shop CPO Outlets for power tools, outdoor equipment, tool storage, woodworking and metalworking tools. Great selection, great service!

I have a DW and a Klingspor ROS (the rebranded Bosch) and have found paying a little extra is worth it. Not sure I really need a 3rd ROS but when I do I may go up again and get one of the better Bosch models. Not sure I can convince myself of spending on the Fein or Festool.

BTW those that own these Rolls Royce sanders I would love to see another thread opened to hear the merits of these tools, maybe I could be a convert.
              Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
              techzibits.com

Comment

• durango dude
                • Mar 2011
                • a thousand or so feet above insanity
                • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

I poked around, and saw some really great deals on ROS.

Honestly, don't think I'd go with the Ryobi. In my experience -
                spending on a sander is worth it (up to a point).

Shop sanders and polishers including angle, belt, orbital sanders, variable speed polishers and more from DeWalt and other leading brands.

Comment

• JoeyGee
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2005
                  • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                  • BT3100-1

I had a PC 333(?) that I really liked. That crapped out. I was in a hurry and had a coupon and picked up a HF version for under $20. That piece of crap whines and vibrates like crazy but I still use it. I don't know why. I got a gift for a work anniversary that I got to pick out of a catalog. The only thing remotely worth anything to me was a B&D POS ROS. I figure when the HF finally dies (or I chuck it) I will use the B&D until it dies.

I really should invest in a quality ROS.

Please note, this post has ZERO to do with the Ryobi deal. I have no idea why I added it
                  Joe

Comment

• lrr
                    Established Member
                    • Apr 2006
                    • Fort Collins, Colorado
                    • Ryobi BT-3100

Originally posted by sailor55330

I wondered for years about the seemingly insane prices for Festool products. I watched a You Tube video on the track saw, and then watched the Paulk Workbench videos (Ron Paulk is a home builder that does a lot of custom cabinetry, and uses Festool products. His portable workbench enables him to take his cabinet-making to the jobsite.)

I decided to invest in a Festool track saw to break down plywood to make cabinets, rather than upgrading from a BT3100 table saw to a 3HP SawStop PCS. (I did buy a Forrest blade that has breathed new life into the old BT3100, though, since I still use the BT3100 for ripping hardwood boards).

In short, the Festool track saw produces the finest cuts I've ever seen, with zero tear out on top and bottom of the cut. It is a phenomenal product.

Regarding the insane prices? Yep, they still seem insane. But a little insanity ain't so bad ... except now I want more and more Festool products.
                    Lee

Comment

• gerti
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2003
                      • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                      • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Originally posted by frumper64
                      No experience with this one, but I did have an old blue Ryobi ROS a while back. It was okay but had a lot of vibration.
                      My experience as well. My hand would tingle for quite some time after.

Comment

• sailor55330
                        Established Member
                        • Jan 2010

First, I didn't mean to offend anyone who has/wants Festool nor did I mean to bash them in any way. I just hadn't been exposed in person and was a victim of sticker shock.

Everyone makes the choice best for them. I'm sure the products are very very good. I guess at the end of the day, I'd have to ask myself "If I spend 3-4 times more on a tool, am I going to be a 3-4 times better woodworker".

Sadly, I know the answer is no. Given my limited time in shop and my natural abilities (yes, I do believe all talents must start with some form of natural ability to become really good at them), I know this to be the truth.

Now back to adding to my collections of scraps that are "this much too short" or "not quite square" and my ever favorite "well, that won't work".

On the bright side, my neighbors love the scraps for the fire rings.

Comment

• cwsmith
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2005
                          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                          • BT3100-1

I've had my Ryobi ROS (the blue variable speed one) since 2003, and it's still going strong. I don't use it as much as my Ridgid, and perhaps that explains why I've had service on the Ridgid, but not on the Ryobi.

The Ryobi is a bit more noisey than the Ridgid, but both will leave your hand tingling after serveral hours of use in one day.

I had never used an ROS, untll the contractor who was remodeling our bathroom lent me his Mikita for all the trim work that I was helping him with. While that sold me on the ROS and I just had to have one, I found the prices surprisingly high... at least until I found the Ryobi. The dust pickup on the Ryobi was far ahead of the Mikita that I had used (and substantially less in price).

The saleman at HD tried to convince me the any of the $100-plus sanders would be a much better buy than the cheap Ryobi. As he explained it, I could throw any of those (too-expensive-to-me sanders) up in the air and after they hit the floor, they'd still run... and the Ryobi would be in pieces!!!

Sounded convincing I suppose, but I'm not in the habit of throwing any of my tools "up in the air", so I bought the Ryobi. I figured that I could probably buy three Ryobi's for the price of the more-expensive brands. In any case, I have managed to drop the Ryobi a couple of times (pulling it off the bench) and so far, nothing has been broken.

I too look at some of these marvelously expensive tools, and wonder what gives. Surely there must me some advantages, but whether it's worth that kind of price is something else. I do think there is a certain level of 'snobbery' with some buyers. (But then again, I think there's a certain kind 'snobbery' for us low-level buyers too).

Good tools don't necessarily have to cost a fortune, as any owner of a BT-series well knows. Much of what we do is in the skills of the holder of the tool, IMO. Still, looking at something like a Festool, does make for wishes.

CWS
                          Last edited by cwsmith; 01-08-2015, 02:48 PM.
                          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...