• Show
Clear All
  • bmyers
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2003
    • Fishkill, NY
    • bt 3100

Dang ceiling fan lights!

I was hoping someone here may have a ceiling fan like the ones pictured. They were in my house when I moved in so I have no manual or info. It's not Hunter and I dont see a manufacturer sticker on there.

The three bulbs are easy enough to change but there are 2 small bulbs inside the fixture that I am not sure how to access and replace.

Figuring out how something comes apart is something I've been doing for WAY longer than how to put it together but in this case my only way to get at the fans is on a rickety old wooden 12' step ladder I like to call "The Stairway to Heaven" and I rather just get up there and know what I'm looking for.

Please chime in if you recognize how to take these apart to get at the internal lights.

Bill
    Attached Files
    "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"
  • tfischer
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
    • BT3100

This is strictly a WAG but it's possible that if you move the round lower plate, the portion of the fixture with the three lamps will come free, be able to be dropped down, and then may reveal a way for the upper portion to be pulled down revealing the hidden bulbs.

But if you can't figure it out and it's really giving you fits, might be a great opportunity for a new fan. When the one in our master bedroom refused to be balanced a number of years ago, causing a "creak, creak" noise every time it went around, driving me bonkers, I took great glee in smashing it and then replacing it with something more in style. Set me back well under $100 and I never liked the old fan anyway

Comment

• Cochese
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2010

My guess would be that the top portion of the light detaches upwards for access to both the motor and the light compartment.

Just a guess, though. The lower portion could 'screw' off of retention clips as well.
      I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• bmyers
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2003
        • Fishkill, NY
        • bt 3100

Found screws in the top above the fan to release the stained glass cover and revealed 3 bulb that I never knew were in the top fixture. The have always been blown.

I thought I had it licked but could not get in to the bottom fixture to change those bulbs. I tried removing a flan blade but I couldn't get my monkey paws to the bottom bulbs.

I have entertained the idea of replacing the ceiling fans, getting my old ash slugger and going Office-Space-Baseball-Bat-On-the-Printer-Scene but I feel that may set a bad example for the children.

Plus I'm a man of principle at times so replacing 2 ceiling fans because the bulbs burned out smells of defeat in the face of danger. The Stairway to Heaven ladder is more rickety now than it's ever been.
        "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

Working...