X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

Lathe stand

Technically, it isn't done. I need to go get some plywood to make two drawer - one for the lathe tools, and the other for accessories. However, in general spirit it is done.

The plan was to do this:

The current product is this:

Construction is all 2x4 SYP/fir. I got a bug in me to tune my planes up properly, and the #7 was singing so well I did almost all of the jointing by hand. I cut the boards to length with my miter saw, jointed them all up and glued them together on end. I only used the aircraft carrier to square the legs up. The base is put together with Dominoes and mortised into the top. The shelf there is actually a sand well, holding about 90 pounds of sand to stabilize the base and provide dampening. Haven't had a chance to turn anything since it's complete, but it's a darn sight heavier than the old steel stand.

I didn't bother to go completely square on the boards for the top, so it looks like one big slab with V-grooves. I actually kind of like the look, we'll see how much I like it when I have to clean it. Got a bit excited and mounted the lathe before I put finish on it, and well...that lathe isn't coming off now. May do finish where I can, something I have left over.

Cost, including two sets of 14" slides is about $60. So far.
    I have a little blog about my shop
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

I like it!
    JR

Comment

• Cochese
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2010

Thanks. I forgot to mention the genesis of the project.

1) I needed storage for the stuff. The stock stand was not made with that in mind.
      2) The stock stand was not made for dragging and pushing around my shop. The front leg under the motor buckled after doing it one too many times, and wasn't safe to use in that condition.

If you look at the picture on the website, it bent right under those two bolts. The stand was actually pretty good quality, I just abused it. I can move the new stand around fairly easily, even with the added weight.

Comment

• wardprobst
        • Jan 2006
        • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
        • Craftsman 22811

Nice to see your progress, very impressive.
        DP
        www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

Very nice job!

I like using 2 x 4 stock for such things and used them for both my RAS and router table supports. With the latter, I mounted 3" lockable wheels from HF for mobility.

Your lathe table looks great and it's no doubt a lot more stable.

Thanks for the post,

CWS
          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

I have a couple of drawers under the table top where my pen lathe is and that is a mistake!

I keep the drawers closed, but it seems when I do need to open them, there is enough shavings around that just looks to fall into it!
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Cochese
              Technically, it isn't done. I need to go get some plywood to make two drawer - one for the lathe tools, and the other for accessories. However, in general spirit it is done.

The plan was to do this:

The current product is this:

Construction is all 2x4 SYP/fir. I got a bug in me to tune my planes up properly, and the #7 was singing so well I did almost all of the jointing by hand. I cut the boards to length with my miter saw, jointed them all up and glued them together on end. I only used the aircraft carrier to square the legs up. The base is put together with Dominoes and mortised into the top. The shelf there is actually a sand well, holding about 90 pounds of sand to stabilize the base and provide dampening. Haven't had a chance to turn anything since it's complete, but it's a darn sight heavier than the old steel stand.

I didn't bother to go completely square on the boards for the top, so it looks like one big slab with V-grooves. I actually kind of like the look, we'll see how much I like it when I have to clean it. Got a bit excited and mounted the lathe before I put finish on it, and well...that lathe isn't coming off now. May do finish where I can, something I have left over.

Cost, including two sets of 14" slides is about $60. So far.
              You might have just hit on something that will help me fix a storage and ballast / wobbly base problem with my lathe... I had considered building a 3/4" ply cabinet for it but was thinking that wasn't going to be substantial enough for my needs... I like the "underslung" tray on bottom...

Is there any plan for a tool holder, to at least hold a couple of turning tools for use when turning so you don't have to stoop down so far to grab a different chisel?
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Cochese
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2010

Originally posted by dbhost
                You might have just hit on something that will help me fix a storage and ballast / wobbly base problem with my lathe... I had considered building a 3/4" ply cabinet for it but was thinking that wasn't going to be substantial enough for my needs... I like the "underslung" tray on bottom...

Is there any plan for a tool holder, to at least hold a couple of turning tools for use when turning so you don't have to stoop down so far to grab a different chisel?
                Yes. It may be hard to see in the render.

The top drawer will be an open one, with room for 5-10 chisels. The design will be similar to this: http://lumberjocks.com/assets/pictur...ects/31589.jpg

The second drawer will hold any head ends, calipers, turning sandpaper, tail ends, tool rests, etc. If I find that drawer getting too full, I'll add another one down the road. Oh, also the removable bed that mounts to the left of the head, I haven't needed that to this point, but may.

I will probably also have capability to store a few vertically, via holes drilled in the top, behind where the drawer stops. I saw an interesting way to store them with the tool-end pointing up, and I think I will do that instead of tool-end down. If I know I'll be switching back and forth between a couple of tools, that would be a benefit. Also, it will expand storage capacity by as many holes as I dare cut.

That picture is actually a couple days older than it should be. For the sand well I glued and screwed a 3/4" piece of ply to the stretchers on all sides. I then put in an additional 2x4 support, running front to back secured by four pocket holes. I'll go back in later and put a couple of screws in from the bottom ply. The well is filled to capacity with sand, and it was leveled so well that I just used a piece of 1/4" ply screwed to the top. Everything down there will probably have to find a new home due to drawer clearance.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2007
                  • Buena Park, CA
                  • CM 21829

Stand looks great! One thing I failed to take into consideration when I built a similar stand for my other lathe was the height of my 4-jaw chucks when placed in a drawer. Consequently, my drawer was ~1/2inch too shallow to close with my chucks in it.
                  Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Are you going to have enough available depth between the bottom of the bench top and the top of that grinder to clear a sufficient drawer for whatever accessories you plan to store?

If you are just doing the bottomless chisel holding drawers I already know the answer, but what are you going to do with the chuck, knock out bar and faceplate? Bottom shelf I am assuming but you know what they say about assume...

I have GOT to stop looking at this build. My shop is a nasty disaster right now, and I REALLY need to get in and clean it just to find the lathe...
                    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Cochese
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 2010

Most likely not. In the end I may end up putting in another drawer.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2007
                        • Buena Park, CA
                        • CM 21829

Just taking another look - and wondering if you will have adequate access to vacuum the shavings that will fall between the ways of the bed... if not from the top, you might want to replace or add to your existing spacers between the lathe and table with some thicker ones that will allow you to vac from the front side.
                        Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Bill in Buena Park
                          Just taking another look - and wondering if you will have adequate access to vacuum the shavings that will fall between the ways of the bed... if not from the top, you might want to replace or add to your existing spacers between the lathe and table with some thicker ones that will allow you to vac from the front side.
                          Just gotta chime in on this. From what I see there should be plenty of space under the lathe bed in his build to fit a shop vac crevice tool into there and clean it out. Actually a bit more than the OE stands horizontal rails.

I might have opted myself, to go with thicker 2x stock for the riser block used just to be 1000% certain (Yeah I know, I said a thousand percent...) that I have enough room to say fetch something dropped in that gap with my big old hands...

I must admit though, the more I look at this stand build the more I hate my OE stand, and the more I want to clean my shop out and get to prepping the stock to build my own...

Comment

• Cochese
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jun 2010

It's 3/4" MDF (so a true 3/4"). I figured that the vac is powerful enough to grab anything, or I could always use air.

Comment

• dbhost
                              Slow and steady
                              • Apr 2008
                              • League City, Texas
                              • Ryobi BT3100

What fasteners did you use to bolt the lathe down to the new stand?

Comment

Working...