• Show
Clear All
  • Neal
    Established Member
    • Apr 2012
    • Williamstown, WV (Mid Ohio Valley)
    • Ryobi BT3000

Are Woodworking Shows worth the time?

There is a Woodworking show in Columbus Ohio from January 30 through February 1. It s about a 2 hour drive, and I have no problems navigating through CMH having lived there for about 7 years (College life and a few years after that).

I think about 20 years ago, I went to the one there but don't remember much about it. Was wondering if any of you have gone to them, and if they are worthwhile endeavors. I realize they are trying to sell you a bunch of stuff, and I am possibly in the market for a few items this year. But was looking for input from the fine folks here to see if they are worth a tank of gas for a few hours. (I also have a woodcraft within 15 minutes of home to go and drool over tools and stuff.)

Thanks in advance.
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Didn't go this year. The past couple of years my Brother in Law and I went the quality was down from previous years. Same vendors and prices weren't that good. Where the show is held the parking was expensive the admission was a little steep. Also I think our interest has wained. The Demos and classes were ok though. Part of the problem was/is the economy.

Tom

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

I usually hear about them after they have come and gone. Loring usually posts something about having gone which is how I find out...

The one year I did go, there were deals on knick knacks and doo dads galore. I think I spent the most time and money at the Lee Valley and Peachtree booths...

There seems to always be a demo from Shopsmith that is fun to watch. They keep trying to get folks to fork over for their machines... Can't say that I hate the idea, but the tilting table of the shopsmith, instead of a tilting arbor, keeps me away from them pretty well...

There are typically local clubs set up with booths showing off member projects, and trying to get new members etc...

All in all I think it depends on what you are going for. The demos / classes are typically worth it to me, but if you are going hoping to score a great deal on equipment or supplies, don't waste your time...

All in all not a bad thing. Just wish they advertised more in my area so I'd know in advance when and where they are going to be...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

they have them travelling around once a year.
        here's the 2015 schedule

They used to be bigger lately they're not as big, it seems to me.
        Its a good place to go for an afternoon of entertainment and education if you haven't been before.

There are a number of vendors that have all sorts of stuff for sael you can look at and fondle before you buy, get it that day and not pay shipping. So its a good place to stock up on consumables and stuuf for the year.

They also have some manufacturer demos, either by the manufacturer or some dealers.
        A lot of specialty companies exhibit.
        I no longer go every year, maybe every other year. They used to be on the other side of town and parking was long distance walk and $9 but now they have moved to 10 miles from me and free parking.

I think the website has a list of participants.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LinuxRandal
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2005
          • Independence, MO, USA.
          • bt3100

CATCH22.

IMHE, they are not as good as before. For my local one, this started years ago, with the demise of their biggest displayer of wares (thewoodworkerschoice if I remember the name correctly).
          A couple years later, they changed locations and that messed with access (by both vendors and customers). Then when the economy hit, the local places stopped attending and started having events at their own local stores (check with your local places, seems common), while the big boys either didn't come, or don't have stuff to sell.
          Yet if people don't go, it dies more.
          I don't go every year, maybe every three. Because I hope it will come back around.
          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

My opinion:

I think if you've never been and you are interested in woodworking and tools, you should go at least once.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• beetee3
              Established Member
              • Feb 2005
              • The Sunshine State

I haven't attended one for the better part of ten years. Back then they had pretty good door prizes where I made out like a bandit. I scored a Jet variable speed mini lathe, TWO full Kreg pocket hole kits, a pile of turning blanks, two quarts of Minwax and a quart of glue. Does that count as a gloat? I stopped going to the shows when down turn reduced the exhibitor count (and the door prize budget).

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

I'm with Lchien that if interested in the subject matter you should go, but I will venture to expand it to other type shows even if you are not interested in the subject. Most of them are real eye openers in the latest technology and will make you step back and think. I've been to boat shows, fishing shows, hunting shows, art shows, wood shows, gun shows, flower shows, roofing shows, construction shows, car shows, industrial shows and coin shows. My least favorite, haven't got to do that again was the coin show. I came out of all shows with a better understanding and respect for the people involved. My most favorite are the car shows that have swap meets. Not needing anything they have in particular I like the carnival atmosphere, the different food offerings, different ways of doing things. In particular I am overwhelmed by the things people can sell and make a living at, who would ever thought you could make a living just selling Mustang bumpers? I'll close this note saying that a good show is like going in a giant mall size Harbor Freight for the first time ever!
                Gotta go!
                capncarl

Comment

• Pappy
                  The Full Monte
                  • Dec 2002
                  • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 (x2)

Been to the Houston show a few times but, to me, it's no longer worth the 2= hour drive each way. A good bunch of BT3 members got together one year but it dwindled after that.

I see that the Dallas show is no longer on the schedule.
                  Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                  Fools because they have to say something.
                  Plato

Comment

• tfischer
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2003
                    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                    • BT3100

They haven't come to Minneapolis/St. Paul for around 5 years now. I used to go occasionally when they did.

I would most certainly NOT drive 2 hours to go there. The last time I went when it was here, it was more than a little disappointing. In the past, there were places like Peachtree there where you could pick up some low-cost stuff on a whim. The last time, it was all expensive tool vendors... fun to look at maybe, but out of my league. And a good number of the booths weren't even woodworking related... things like storage containers and such like you'd see at the state fair.

Comment

• poolhound
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2006
                      • Phoenix, AZ
                      • BT3100

I would love to go but they don't often come to AZ. I recall it came to Tucson a few years ago but I didnt manage to get there.

Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the country but they obviously dont think we have enough woodworkers - go figure!
                      Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                      techzibits.com

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2006
                        • On the TARDIS
                        • BT 3100

There used to be three shows that were with in a two hour drive from where I live in Southern Ontario ( Canada). As they were spread out through the year, it always made for a nice day out. Not only did you often get one on one with vendors that I usually only dealt with through mail order, but I often got to see products that you had to see personally as well as introducing me to businesses that I wan't aware of.

There was always the social aspect of the show. I have got to know many people through woodworking forums and often a group of us would make plans to meet up. It got so I would start getting emails from some of the headliners from the shows asking if I was coming......and if I was bringing my wife again.

This is one of my good friends who used to work the ( now defunct) Toronto show( with a cool twist at the end)

Sadly the shows are losing their flavour and starting to disappear. There is only one close to me now and fortunately it is the one closest to my house.
                        From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• capncarl
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2007
                          • Leesburg Georgia USA
                          • SawStop CTS

I can't even begin to imagine what the cost to rent a large venue would be to put on a large show. It's gotta be staggering. That's probably one of the reasons for the decline. Some of the local arts/craft shows in my area charge $400 + for a card table size booth to cover the cost of a 1 day show. Compare that to hauling a truck load of heavy woodworking equip, paying help, set up, motel bills, bar bills, hope you can sell the equip so you want have to transport home. Some equip mfgs would pay their distributors and franchisees costs as well for the industrial shows, that's got to be a knot. From reading my rant I think I will go to a show because they will all be gone soon!
                          capncarl

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2005
                            • Independence, MO, USA.
                            • bt3100

Report from this years.........disappointing

My dad asked if I wanted to go, as he was looking for something. I had one thing that I wasn't sure if it would be there, so I said yes and we went Saturday. It was around 60 degree's on Saturday and they had a couple of sawmills setup outside with a vendor (don't think I have ever seen that here, in January), I thought that was a good sign. Get inside and the walkways are twice as wide as they have ever been. More space between the vendors and if I had to guess, it looked like Peachtree was this years largest vendor, but they didn't have the amount of casters they normally carried (and none of the ones I was looking for). Veritas was the first vendor inside the door; you get to feel the tools hands on and the show offers free shipping (don't they do that via email several times a year?).
                            When I got to the row where "shows" are taking place, there was a vendor who was selling garage sale tools. On the far row of the show, some "vendor" that was selling tools that ranged from Harbor Freight, to out of business garage sales. I saw one local business, who was there to let the world know (local sawmill), yet they were blocking their business cards and flyers while standing there talking, bad sign.
                            When we left, I was wondering how many more years, they are going to get to call this a woodworking show. We didn't even have the want to go to Woodcraft after the show, that depressing.

The thing I went to see was the portable Sawstop. I am thinking about it as a BT replacement, due to some nieces and nephews that are getting interested and my small shop. I sent a note to Sawstop, because I thought it was poor to be displaying it and only have their win one, be available for a saw that was way too large for my shop. (let the person choose their model based on needs)
                            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Cochese
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jun 2010

Peachtree being the largest vendor is one of the two major complaints I have about the Atlanta show. It's great that they sponsor it, but it's basically transporting their store up the road. It's easily half the floor space of the entire show. The last couple of years, the entire back is filled with the junk repository that the sellers think is gold-plated.

I like that Lee Valley is there (step up from Lie Neilsen not doing it) but hate not being able to take anything home. I understand why, but still don't to an extent. Pick a product for a year and bring some. Most of the show seems to be about giveaways, which is fine except you have to be present to win. Not everyone can be there for the entire weekend or the last hour on Sunday trying to drive home.

Am I spoiled by all of the better options I have locally to shop? Perhaps.
                              I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

Working...