• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Texas and Taxes

Well, its April which means that April 15 and April 21 are both rolling around.
    Most of you know that April 15 is tax day but many of you don't know that April 21 is San Jacinto day the decisive battle at which General Sam Houston's smaller army surprised and defeated Mexican General Santa Anna to win Texas Independence and secure the Republic of Texas. Yes, Texas was an independent country from 1936 to 1845.

I don't really want to do my taxes so you will get a brief Texas History Lesson.

In 1824 Mexico broke from Spain as a Federal democracy which left the country a little disorganized and broke. At the time it owned Texas but it was very sparsely populated and Indian problems abounded. It encouraged settlement by immigrating US settlers and the establishments of militia to keep the Indians under control. By 1835 the Mexican government had turned increasingly dictatorial, imposing draconian laws and levying heavy taxes. It also began to be afraid of the extensive US settler population that made Texas mostly Anglo.

The background set, the Americans in Texas under Stephen Austin began to talk openly of independence and the Mexican government began to increasingly send military to disband the militias. In Gonzales the militia repulsed a Mexican army attempt to take back a cannon given them years before for Indian defense. It inspired this famous flag:

Things escalated and Santa Anna, the President of Mexico came personally to command the army and surrounded a garrison of 189 texans and sympathetic Americans, laying siege to the then hundred-year-old mission Alamo now turned fort, for 13 days during which Col Travis sent his amazing letter:
    Commandancy of the The Alamo

Bejar, Feby. 24th. 1836

To the People of Texas & All Americans in the World—

Fellow Citizens & compatriots—

I am besieged, by a thousand or more of the Mexicans under Santa Anna — I have sustained a continual Bombardment & cannonade for 24 hours & have not lost a man — The enemy has demanded a surrender at discretion, otherwise, the garrison are to be put to the sword, if the fort is taken — I have answered the demand with a cannon shot, & our flag still waves proudly from the walls — I shall never surrender or retreat. Then, I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid, with all dispatch — The enemy is receiving reinforcements daily & will no doubt increase to three or four thousand in four or five days. If this call is neglected, I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country — Victory or Death.

William Barrett Travis.

Lt. Col. comdt.

P. S. The Lord is on our side — When the enemy appeared in sight we had not three bushels of corn — We have since found in deserted houses 80 or 90 bushels and got into the walls 20 or 30 head of Beeves.

Travis

The Alamo was overrun on March 6 and there Col. Wm. Travis, James Bowie, and Davy Crockett and 186-250 other defenders died, taking over 340-600 Mexicans with them. The Alamo today:

A few days later he captured Col Fannin and 340 men at Coleto Creek. He summarily executed them a few days later in the Goliad Massacre.

The delay allowed General Sam Houston to build and train an army. They seemed to be retreating to the Louisiana border along with a large stream of refugees but at Harrisburg he took a turn. April 20th found the armies camped near each other. Santa Anna army was tired from marching but did not expect an attack from the much smaller Texian force. On April 21 Houston literaly burned the escape bridges for both sides and ordered a surprise attack at San Jacinto which caught the Mexicans at a siesta - roughly half the 1400-man force was killed and half captured and the 800-900-man Texan army lost only 9 men. The battle cry was "Remember the Alamo" and "Remember Goliad". It was said that frightened Mexican solders were captured with their arms in the air screaming "Me No Alamo!". President/General Santa Anna, found disguised and hiding as a private, signed a treaty giving Texas its independence in exchange for his life.

THis monument was built to commemorate San Jacinto and it stands taller than the Washington Monument (as an aside the Texas Capitol building is also taller than the US Capitol.).

As they say, the rest is history. I hope you'e enjoyed this brief history lesson.

More details can be found at wikipedia under:
    Texas revolution
    Battle of the Alamo
    Battle of San Jacinto
    To the People of Texas & All Americans in the World

As they say, I wasn't born in Texas but I got here as fast as I could. I think Texas history has to be the most interesting of all the 50 states. Thank God Texas has no state income taxes.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-13-2014, 09:07 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

I have had the good fortune to visit a number of battlegrounds and museums of our nations history. None of them have the atmosphere of reverence witnessed when visiting the Alamo. More than an historical landmark of museum, it is held as a shrine to the men who sacrificed all against overwhelming odds in defense of Texas. Men and boys are asked to remove their hats when inside. If they do not, they are 'asked' again by one of the Texas Rangers on duty.

Because of its status as a former independent nation, the flag of Texas is the only state flag authorized to fly at the same level when displayed with the US flag.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Another amazing thing about the Alamo - Although the majority were made up on Texas settlers who had a stake in the battle, there were about 70 more Tejanos, texans of mexican descent who had become settlers in Texas, and then there quite a few Americans who had come to texas simply to battle tyrany, in the american spirit. For example, volunteers from Tennessee under Davy Crockett. Some 32 reinforcements from Texas arrived and had to battle their way into the besieged fort.

One story says, Unsheathing his sword during a lull in the virtually incessant bombardment Colonel William Barret Travis drew a line on the ground before his battle-weary men. In a voice trembling with emotion he described the hopelessness of their plight and said, "those prepared to give their lives in freedom's cause, come over to me."

Without hesitation, every man, save one, crossed the line, Colonel James Bowie, stricken with pneumonia, asked that his cot be carried over.

I was a bit surprised, reviewing the history for this post, that the widely quoted 189 does not include the 70 Tejanos, I believe it should so the number of defenders who survivedd was more like 250. There were some survivors including a few women and slaves who were spared. The Mexicans burned all the Texan bodies (they claimed 600 defenders) and buried the estimated 300-600 Mexican soldiers.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-13-2014, 09:08 AM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...