• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lonnie in Orlando
    • May 2003
    • Orlando, FL, USA.
    • BT3000

Belt suppliers - BT3K

What suppliers do you recommend for belts for my BT3K?

I want to buy a couple of belts before supply dries up. If I can save a few buck, that would be a plus.

Don't want to buy belts that were manufactured years ago and may have become brittle with age. 'Course the original belts on my BT3000 are almost 20 years old and are still going strong. So I don't know if I should be worried about brittle replacement belts.

Thanks for your recommendations.

- Lonnie
    OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Lonnie,

I've only tried at three different places.

Sears Parts Direct (http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...mp=xsite_Sears ) had the best price at the time, but thier website yanked me around for over a month, telling me they had them in stock, when in fact they didn't. As I understand it now, from that episode, they really don't know, really maintain no stock at all, and when you place your order, they place the order to the manufacturer. And once you discover that, and there is an untimely delay, you can't cancel the order because they've ordered it and you're "on the hook".

Ryobi Parts (http://www.ryobitools.com/support/order_parts) At the time of my need, they were the highest price, so I didn't give them a chance.

M and D Mower. ( http://www.m-and-d.com/ ) Second best price at the time, but definitely the best delivery. I got my belts in just over a week.

I'm sure the other members have had better experience and may also have different leads.

BTW, My belts were marked "BANDO 106H NJ". I haven't had any luck finding that direct source/manufacturer, but perhaps you may have better luck.

I hope this helps,

CWS
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• jdon
      Established Member
      • Feb 2010
      • Snoqualmie, Wash.
      • BT3100

One additional source: ereplacementparts.com

In my experience, prices tend to be a little more expensive on average than with M&D, but shipping is less- so net cost from either depends on ordering multiple items in one order. I always seem to have at least one back ordered item from either vendor, so can't comment on speed of shipping, but IIRC, M&D might be a bit faster.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by cwsmith
        Lonnie,

BTW, My belts were marked "BANDO 106H NJ". I haven't had any luck finding that direct source/manufacturer, but perhaps you may have better luck.

I hope this helps,

CWS
        FWIW, it appears from my research that Bando is the OEM manufacturer of the belts of standard material and ribbing, but they were custom made to Ryobi's specs for length and width.

So you can't just order them off the shelf. THey are probably made in large lots with a tooling (setup) charge and minimum quantities in effect.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-24-2013, 09:19 PM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• lrr
          Established Member
          • Apr 2006
          • Fort Collins, Colorado
          • Ryobi BT-3100

Lonnie,

Wow -- 20 year old belts! You know that if you order some, you"ll never use them ...

In August we celebrated 30 years in our home. I put one of those red-colored infrared heatlamp bulbs in our master bath light/vent fixture, and it is still going strong. The extra bulb got used elsewhere about 20 years ago.
          Lee

Comment

• cwsmith
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
            • BT3100-1

Thanks Loring,

That explains why they are soooo expensive, and not readily available from other sources.

It also verifies why in my early training in design, the instructor used to say, "Do your potential buyer's a favor, use as many standard parts as possible!"

CWS
            Last edited by cwsmith; 11-25-2013, 04:16 PM.
            Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by cwsmith
              Thanks Loring,

That explains why they are soooo expensive, and not readily available from other sources.

It also verifies why in my early training in design, the instructor used to say, "Do your potential buyer's a favor, use as many standard parts as possible!"

CWS
              "do your employer a favor and make the consumable items a custom part that can only be purchased through the OEM and his distributors."
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• niswanger
                Forum Newbie
                • Mar 2014
                • Round Rock, TX
                • BT3000

Okay veteran BT3Kérs, so there really aren't any 3rd party producers of these belts for the BT3000? That’s it? When supply all dries up the legacy dies?

Thanks,
                Roy

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2007
                  • Buena Park, CA
                  • CM 21829

If belts can last 15-20+ years with good care (i.e., sharp blades, no overloading, etc)...

Is there a shelf life on un-mounted belts? I bought my 21829 in 2007, so only seven years of "hobby" use on it. I hope to get another 10-12 years on current belts, and I have a set of spare belts.

Assuming the spares don't deteriorate in the mean time, and the current ones last until 2025ish... barring any other motor issue or parts obsolesence, I can hopefully run the saw until almost 2045 (probably my son by that point, as I likely be beyond my woodworking years...)
                  Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• kramer katt
                    Established Member
                    • Aug 2004
                    • SO CAL, USA
                    • BT3100 and Craftsman 100

Bt belts

Yea but before then we all will have our 3d printers and can whip out a set of belts any time needed.
                    Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler
                    --Albert Einstein

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by kramer katt
                      Yea but before then we all will have our 3d printers and can whip out a set of belts any time needed.
                      If we can do that we don't need the saw or belts anymore, We'll just print the final wood object in 3D. At that point they can print in wood fibers with random grain patterns using special heads and fibrous stock embedded in epoxy filler.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• tfischer
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2003
                        • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                        • BT3100

This whole thing is a catch-22. If everyone buys belts "just in case" then the remaining stock will be depleted at a rapid pace, causing prices to go even higher and making it hard in the future for someone to buy a belt who really needs one.

But, we have to "look out for #1" too...

I'd rather not spend $60+ for a "just in case". But I don't want to be in a situation 5 years from now where I have to abandon my saw because I didn't.

Decisions...

Comment

• capncarl
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2007
                          • Leesburg Georgia USA
                          • SawStop CTS

If you bought a spare set of belts what is the storage procedure? My first guess would be to store them in a zip lock bag with the contents description written on the outside. Ther may be a rubber preservative like we use to spray/rub on tires, belts and hoses to keep them from drying out. I bet google would know!

Comment

• Burg53
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Nov 2003
                            • Hillsdale, NJ, USA.

FWIW - I just bought two belts from Lawncutters Equiptment Sales in Hopkinsville, Ky for $49.98 with shipping. I found them on E-bay and it seemed to be the best price at the time on E-bay. They had a few left as of a few days ago.

Les

Comment

• dirtmover
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Dec 2005
                              • Ottawa, ON, Canada.

Maybe I'm missing something but what's wrong with these from Amazon:

Comment

Working...