• Show
Clear All
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

Threaded view question

I can change the way everyone replies to posts to no longer require clicking to reply but to do so will require disabling the threaded view function. Does anyone still use the threaded view? The difference is threaded view looks like an agenda and a non-threaded looks like a list in time sequenced order. Hopefully that makes sense. If anyone remembers the old Ryobi forum it was threaded view by default.
    yes
    3.70%
    no
    96.30%

The poll is expired.

Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I don't know the difference too much but I'm OK the way it is.

I guess the so called threaded view is you can actually rely to s specify reply rather than to the original question. When this is done I believe you get a bunch of indented replies so syou can see what they are in reply to.

The non-threaded view is just chronological. All replies go to the end.

The thing that the threaded version fixes is someone asks a related Q and people can reply to that.
    Example (A, B, C, D, E are people, in order of initial posting)

A: I'm thinking about buy a SUperPulverizer SP, Any opinions? Lowes has a sale for $45
    __B: I don't have that, I have a HammerSmasher LX, works great, it's $50.
    ____D: I like the LX, too.
    __C: Do you have a coupon for that price?
    ____A: Here's the ad link

With the thread a reply is to a specify post, you can see that C is asking A for the coupon for the SP, not B for the coupon for the LX If he were replying to B, then the C would be under the E reply as another reply to B.

A non-threaded version would be chronological, same thread below

A: I'm thinking about buy a SUperPulverizer SP, Any opinions? Lowes has a sale for $45
    B: I don't have that, I have a HammerSmasher LX, works great, it's $50.
    C: Do you have a coupon for that price?
    D: I like the LX, too.
    A: Here's the ad link

in this one you can't tell who C is asking. everything's chronological.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-10-2014, 10:22 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Cochese
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2010

I'm for the change. It made no sense to me.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
      I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

I guess I don't know the difference either, even with your explanation (I'm getting a bit "thick" in my old age, I guess).

While I was a daily visitor to the Ryobi forum (and liked it), I guess I never noticed the difference between here and there... I certainly like this too.

But, how does one know what view we are seeing? For example, up at the top of this window, in the "Reply to Thread" bar, I'm seeing on the right end of that title bar:
        "Thread: Threaded view qustion"

Does that mean I'm using "threaded view"?

If so, I don't recall that I ever selected that, so was it the standard set up?

Thanks,

CWS
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• TB Roye
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Sacramento, CA, USA.
          • BT3100

I like the way it is just fine. If you change it thats ok to.

Tom

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

I use it the way it is...

I think the other way you are talking about is the way Sawmillcreek is setup. I hate that... It is very confusing to follow.
            Last edited by dbhost; 04-10-2014, 10:33 PM.
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Tom Slick
              Veteran Member
              • May 2005
              • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
              • sears BT3 clone

I don't care for threaded view and I don't think most people realize that they reply to a specific message and can view the messages in a "map" of messages and responses.

In the upper right corner there is a button labeled "display modes", click it then click "switch to threaded mode" and you'll see the difference.
              Last edited by Tom Slick; 04-10-2014, 10:28 PM.
              Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

i have to confess i never realized i could switch modes. I have always assumed it didn't matter which you replied to the OP, or the last message, so i almsot always replied to the last msg which may or may not have been appropriate. Oh, well.

I'm just used to the linear mode.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Tom Slick
                  I don't care for threaded view and I don't think most people realize that they reply to a specific message and can view the messages in a "map" of messages and responses.

In the upper right corner there is a button labeled "display modes", click it then click "switch to threaded mode" and you'll see the difference.
                  That was a huge help. And yuck, no thank you on the threaded mode... That is just ugly... Keep it the way it is please!
                  Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Black wallnut
                    cycling to health
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                    • BT3k 1999

The thing is it is a user option now. The default is the linear view oldest on top. If there are some that are using the threaded view I don't wish to force them to change it which is what will happen if I activate the instant reply option.

©

Comment

• TB Roye
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                      • BT3100

Tried the threaded mode, don't change. Just realized how long I have been here.

Comment

• mpc
                        • Feb 2005
                        • Cypress, CA, USA.
                        • BT3000 orig 13amp model

It's easy enough to quote a prior post if one intends to reply to something "in the middle" of the whole thread. In Loring's example somebody could quote C's "Do you have a coupon for that price?" as part of their reply "yeah, here's a link blah blah blah" or C could have been more explicit on who he/she was asking.

I just tried the Threaded View and the Hybrid mode... took a lot to read the whole thread as these modes required me to continually click through the 'agenda' listing in a skinny window. Yuck. One long chronological order thread is much easier to scroll through!

Many times when I'm replying I'll reference multiple prior replies in the thread; the way the forum currently works - listing the whole thread in reverse chronological order underneath the "Reply to Thread" box I'm currently typing into - makes it easy/possible to refer back and forth, or to copy/paste. That would probably go away in Threaded Mode I imagine? Yuck again.

Like several others have already posted, if loosing Threaded Mode is a consequence of whatever change is being considered my vote is "so what, bye-bye never used Threaded Mode. Didn't even know you existed, won't miss ya either."

mpc

Comment

• woodturner
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jun 2008
                          • Western Pennsylvania
                          • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by Black wallnut
                          I can change the way everyone replies to posts to no longer require clicking to reply but to do so will require disabling the threaded view function.
                          I'm not clear on how the reply would change. Do you mean we could reply from the topic list rather than having to open the thread, then reply? What would be the advantage of the change to how we reply?

I use the hybrid view and much prefer it, it's so much easier to reply to the right message when the hierarchy is visible. The hybrid view shows the hierarchical message list in the top window and shows the messages in the linear format. It's easy to read the messages since we still get the same linear list, but the window at the top makes it easy to find and reply to the correct message.
                          Last edited by woodturner; 04-11-2014, 06:33 AM.
                          --------------------------------------------------
                          Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• Black wallnut
                            cycling to health
                            • Jan 2003
                            • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                            • BT3k 1999

The change would be to use the quick reply box at the bottom of each thread you just start typing after clicking on the box rather than now on one of the buttons. Quote and multi quote would still work the same.
                            Post reply button would still bring up the standard editor box or whatever you have changed your default to, this being another user option.

The bottom line change is a matter of where you have to place your pointer and click to reply. Not a big change at all.

©

Comment

• cork58
                              Established Member
                              • Jan 2006
                              • Wasilla, AK, USA.
                              • BT3000

Just leave it the way it is, please.
                              Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.

Comment