• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phrog
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2005
    • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

HF Edge Clamp - Any Comments?

Has anyone ever used one of these from HF and what do you think about it?

Richard
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Richard,
    I have the AIO for that size, but bought the HF version for 24in - works fine, no issues after a little over a year of use. FWIW, the clamping pads are bigger on the HF than my AIO version, but that really has no impact for me. I think the "unlock" on both are kinda funky, no preference for one or the other.
    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• phrog
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2005
      • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Thanks, Bill. I may spring for one while they are on sale.
      Richard

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I have a 24-inch HF one, I got it because it was really cheap I think under $10.
        I haven't used it all that much but it seems OK. I have more expensive ones from Rockler.

Those clamp on edge guides work well for a number of things... one is for circular saw guides, another is a low profile router fence and another is for a low profile drill press table fence.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-09-2014, 11:04 PM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• rberrybabylon
          Forum Newbie
          • Jul 2007

Bought my HF 24 several years ago and have used it extensively, usually as a circular saw guide. I'm sure I didn't pay more than $7 for it and have seen it advertised a number of times since at the same price.

In fact, I like it so much, I was going to buy a second one but realized I couldn't think of a situation where a second one would be of much help. Still thinking about it, though.

Comment

• russde
            Forum Newbie
            • Aug 2013

Are they worth the money? Yes

Bear in mind though, they do NOT lock straight automatically...I always grab a square at the same time I grab one of these.

Russ

Comment

• cwsmith
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
              • BT3100-1

Richard,

I've had one of these for a year or so now. I primarily bought it to reglue some veneer on a chest of drawers, and it worked fine for that. You don't want to clamp so tight as to squeeze the glue out.

That perhaps might be considered a weak point to this kind of clamp as it doesn't seem to clamp really, really tight.... but good enough for that particular job.

As a short, 4 ft edge guide for the router or circular saw it seems to work well for me. Again, the clamp action isn't particularly tight, as the "cam-action" on the front handle doesn't appear to be particulary strong. It does pull the rear clamp forward as you move the lever back and forth. But the plastic-like cam area on that handle does seem to be wearing down much to quickly. I would have hoped that the manufacturer would have used a material more durable.

But, for the price it works well enough.

CWS
              Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                Veteran Member
                • May 2007
                • Tacoma, WA
                • BT3000

I have the large and small one. I use them a lot but not for clamping, just as a clamp on straightedge. They do have some quirks and the quirks can be very frustrating.

1. The jaws are loose and will twist and adjust to fit out of parallel shapes, and will move out of place when trying to clamp to a mark when used as a cutting guide. I have taken to putting a clamp on the mark and again on the other side of the bar to keep it in place while I'm at the other end clamping it. Still it often takes several try's.
                2 The jaws are not flush with the under side of the bar. Using it on 1/8" ply or underlayment is a real exercise in frustration as the stock will slip between the jaw and bar.
                3. The jaws are deeper than 3/4" using as a straight edge guide for cutting rough stock on the table saw requires riser blocks and then,.... Because the jaws are plastic they bend a bit and I'm afraid I'll break them. I have considered cutting the jaws down or just making new ones that don't do this.

I haven't looked at the other more expensive ones to see if they are better made but if the jaw issue is not there I would go with them. One of these for the 8' side of a sheet of ply would be nice too.

Use for two? One on each side of the router when making a dado.

Other uses! We had a hot summer here and with a house without AC I used fans. A box fan tended to stay in the window only as long as watched. I used the short clamp across the open window so the fan could not fall. Also used HF inexpensive long quick grip style clamps the same way.

Bill
                two moves in two years, setting up a shop is a nightmare
                Last edited by Mr__Bill; 09-10-2014, 11:31 PM. Reason: more thoughts

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Thanks Bill, those are constructive criticisms.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• TimTucker
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Jun 2014

I'd agree on the assessments so far of their shortcomings.

I actually used a pair this weekend while working on an AV cabinet using pocket holes. Assembling it upside down and to screw the board in on the upper right I used one on each side to hold it in position until I could clamp it to the sides.

To keep them square, I used a 12" speed square clamped down as a guide, then clamped the edge clamp, then tightened it down.

Comment

• phrog
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2005
                      • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Thanks for all the comments from everyone. There are certainly some cons that I hadn't thought of, but considering the sale price and the pros listed here, I think I'll probably try one.
                      Richard

Comment

• TimTucker
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Jun 2014

As a side-note, Slickdeals has a coupon thread with current 25% off coupons if you want to cut down the price a little more:
                        This thread is dedicated to them and their tools. Please update the WIKI. January 18, 2011, 3:13 am: System Notice: This thread has been automatically renewed after reaching a post limit. Most of ...

Comment

• phrog
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2005
                          • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by TimTucker
                          As a side-note, Slickdeals has a coupon thread with current 25% off coupons if you want to cut down the price a little more:
                          http://slickdeals.net/f/1276399-harb...-coupon-thread
                          Thanks for post. I didn't even know this site existed.
                          Richard

Comment

Working...