• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

The plano boxes are all full and I need more. I keep drill bits in 3, refill the indexes when necessary, one for spare wrenches, sockets etc, keeps the tool boxes neat not having drawers full of spares. When you think about all the fasteners you have in a shop, different sizes, lengths and metals of wood screws, dryswall screws, lag bolts, carrage bolts and all the deck screws, it takes up about 8 boxes. Buying fasteners at the big box stores is really expensive. I like to buy fasteners in bulk when I can. There is a shop in a Dothan Ala flea market that sells fasteners by the pound that I buy square drive round head and flat head square drive screws like Kreg screws, really cheap. One trip I got carried away and spent $90 on a lot of different fasteners. It took 3 people to carry my purchases to the car!

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

Loring,

You are right that I have to be careful about two things on at once. I put the DC on the light circuit. It draws about 10A and the lights draw an amp so I am OK on a 15A circuit. On the other 20A circuit I do everything else. I use the compressor when I am assembling things so I am not using the table saw and other big tools when it is running. It's not so big I can't use a sander or something. I do not remember tripping my 20A breaker. It really works OK for me.

Another thing I do not do is heat or cool the shop. If I did, I would need another circuit. If I had a bigger DC, I would need a bigger circuit. I have a few empty spaces in the new panel I had installed so I can expand if I need to. But I went 15 years in the last shop with the same amount of electricity I have in this one.

Jim

Comment

• poolhound
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2006
        • Phoenix, AZ
        • BT3100

Miter bench done - nearly

Last weekend I managed to finish the miter bench (ish). Got the top on and included a dust port for the DC under the saw. Hopefully this plus the built in dust port will keep the mess at bay somewhat.

As you can see I still need to trim out the top and make some extension tables but at least it is now functional and I can load up the lower storage which in turn means I can begin work on other parts of the new shop.

The bench is just over 7' with approx 5' right of the blade and 2' left (on the tabletop). There is actually about 9' of space left of the blade inside the shop and I plan to add a flip up extension on the left side of the cabinet. If anybody else has made something similar I would appreciate any tips or ideas.

Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
        techzibits.com

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

Don't think you are going to like that, unless that Bosch handles saw dust better than I think. Photo of my Hitachi in its enclosure. It has clear curtains in the front that also helps keeps dust in, but you can see what is in front of the saw. Before the enclosure this mess was all over the shop.
          capncarl
          Attached Files

Comment

• poolhound
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2006
            • Phoenix, AZ
            • BT3100

Does your Hitachi setup actually have a DC hose attached to the saw or are you relying on just that grill area behind the saw?

The Bosch does have a pretty efficient direct hookup. the little I have used it so far in building the bench showed it to work pretty well. I now have a variety of things to build so will know more in a week or two.

Originally posted by capncarl
            Don't think you are going to like that, unless that Bosch handles saw dust better than I think. Photo of my Hitachi in its enclosure. It has clear curtains in the front that also helps keeps dust in, but you can see what is in front of the saw. Before the enclosure this mess was all over the shop.
            capncarl
            Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

The Hitachi does have the 2 1/2" vac hose hooked to its connection that collects dust from behind the blade and the guard area. The hood enclosure has a 4" straight from the dust collector with a 2 1/2" "y". While it does not have the suction that the vacuum cleaner provided it has a lot more cfm with the dust collector and keeps a lot out of the room.
              capncarl

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

The dust hood I built for my HF slider keeps the dust IN the hood, but pickup at the dust port is less than spectacular... I mean it helps, a LOT but miter saws spew an obnoxious amount of sawdust very quickly...
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

The photo of my Hitachi hood is after cutting a lot of wood. No telling how much sawdust was pulled into the collector. Very little gets thrown out and what does usually stays on the table, little reaches the floor. Before I built the hood the window and wall behind the saw looked like a piece of Osb, and that was with the vacuum cleaner hooked up to the saw.
                  capncarl

Comment

• JimD
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2003
                    • Lexington, SC.

Jon,

Is that the articulated arm Bosch that crosscuts up to about 14 inches? If so, can it really be that close to the wall? That looks pretty close, do you know the distance?

You can do support to the left several ways. A fold up support is one way but I've also used a bolt on support supported by aluminum angle iron with hanger bolts and wing nuts. For my future crosscut bench I am planning on using flip up stops like Paulk has on the complete shop setup. Nothing projects above the workbench surface. I had a more typical fence on my last setup and I couldn't really use the surface for much other than crosscutting. I am hoping keeping the stops flush will make the surface more usable. If you use non-projecting flip stops, you could even have another cabinet to the left and just incorporate the wooden track for the stops in the other cabinet.

Jim

Comment

• poolhound
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2006
                      • Phoenix, AZ
                      • BT3100

Jim, Yes and No.

It is the articulated arm Bosch but I think its the 12" version that will x-cut 14". I have the 10" version and I believe it has a 12" x-cut capcity. Only had it a short while so still have to take it through its paces and check out alignment etc but so far I love it.

Yes it can go hard up against a wall (nearly) as that is the benefit of this design, You only need to leave a small gap to allow for the arc when you rotate to the left or right.

Thanks for the extension ideas. Unfortunately I cant add anything on the floor to the left as that's where my jointer is located. Its on a mobile base and moves easily when needed. I just need to figure out the optimal way to build an extension that can be used when needed and does not get in the way at all other times.

Originally posted by JimD
                      Jon,

Is that the articulated arm Bosch that crosscuts up to about 14 inches? If so, can it really be that close to the wall? That looks pretty close, do you know the distance?

Jim
                      Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• poolhound
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2006
                        • Phoenix, AZ
                        • BT3100

Lumber Storage - DONE!

This weekend much to the happiness of LOML the pile of lumber that has been sitting under a tarp in the backyard made its way into the new lumber storage attached to my shop. I still have to finish the roof but that's pretty quick and should be all done next weekend. The front part of this attached structure will house my DC and thats really the last part needing attention. The DC portion will have solid siding and doors while the lumber area will be covered in tarps attached with bungees and industrial Velcro. This will provide more than enough protection and allow for easy access.

Click image for larger version

Name:	lumber1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	787238Click image for larger version

Name:	lumber2.jpg
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	787239Click image for larger version

Name:	lumber3.jpg
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	787240Click image for larger version

Name:	lumber4.jpg
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	787241
                        Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

Working...