• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

Thankfully, the Military teaches them how to drive. One good reason everyone should serve a stint in there. 6 months. A year. 2 years. More? It's a good start in life for anyone looking to become a good citizen. Das ist varoom......
    Okay. Sounds a little too familiar. Personally, I think people are trained and know how to drive and what most of the laws are. They just do not give a blank. Insert expletive for blank. I am thankful that I live in a community where people still wave at each other for the most part. That is on the dwindle though.
    Lee

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by cwsmith
      As an older driver, if you live here in NY state, it won't take you more than a few minutes behind the the wheel to wonder WHAT they do require to get a license these days. Typically drivers don't use turn-signals, stop at Stop Signs, know how to transverse trafic circles, allow for merges, or know how to merge or have a clue as to what speed limit signs are for (and I drive fast, usually doing about 7 miles over the posted limit.... but I get passed continuously by some pretty high-speed drivers.) Parking... there appears to be no rules whatsoever.

Mix in too-loud sound systems, cell phones, on-board electronic distractions, and stuffing your face while driving... and it appears that vehicles are anything but point A to B transportation vehicles.

On the other hand, the traffic designers don't seem to know what they're doing either.... three lane intersections in which the extreme right lane is hash-marked for no entry and right turns are marked from the middle lane, diagonal parking in the down-town area where you are supposed to stop and back-into space toward the curb, and a very narrow traffic circle that has slanted curb stone to accommodate larger vehicles who can't make the turn and therefore are expected to drive over the curbs. (That traffic circle has been damaged more than a dozen times since it's construction just a few years ago.)

CWS

google self-driving cars will save us all.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

I bet they removed the parallel parking requirement because they knew that people could not text and park,it's too distracting. We recently had an altercation in a large parking lot were a lady was stopped in the middle of the parking lot lane texting and a man pulled into the parking space she was going to pull into. The report in the news said she called 911 that someone had stolen he parking space. When th police got there she was pounding on top of his car with a shoe, the man told police she was setting in the car like she was sleeping so he waited a few minutes and pulled into the space, she came up to his car and took his picture and posted it on Facebook or something and then she "went up side my head with her pocket book" so I got back in the car.

Comment

• Knottscott
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Rochester, NY.
          • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I bet my kids wish NY State didn't test for parallel parking! I happen to think it's a worthy skill to put some effort into. Maybe it'd be best if they just reduce the total points total for parallel parking, so it wouldn't derail so many teens who flub it on the test, but would still force them to practice the art a bit.

A couple of years ago one of my daughter's had a road test in February. As fate would have it, there was a nasty blizzard going on, and the roads were really slippery. The instructor showed up late in a AAA courtesy vehicle because she had slid off the road in her own car. My daughter proceeded to lose points for a very minor tire spin while pulling away from the curb. Then proceeded to absolutely nail here parallel park, but lost several points for not getting within 12" of the curb....there was close to a 20" wide path of snow from the snow plow between the car and the curb! Even though she failed the test, I was proud of the terrific job she did....no sympathy from that miserable SOB, and no common sense either!
          Last edited by Knottscott; 05-23-2015, 05:33 PM.
          Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• trungdok
            Established Member
            • Oct 2012
            • MA

Originally posted by knottscott
            i bet my kids wish ny state didn't test for parallel parking! I happen to think it's a worthy skill to put some effort into. Maybe it'd be best if they just reduce the total points total for parallel parking, so it wouldn't derail so many teens who flub it on the test, but would still force them to practice the art a bit.

A couple of years ago one of my daughter's had a road test in february. As fate would have it, there was a nasty blizzard going on, and the roads were really slippery. The instructor showed up late in a aaa courtesy vehicle because she had slid off the road in her own car. My daughter proceeded to lose points for a very minor tire spin while pulling away from the curb. Then proceeded to absolutely nail here parallel park, but lost several points for not getting within 12" of the curb....there was close to a 20" wide path of snow from the snow plow between the car and the curb! Even though she failed the test, i was proud of the terrific job she did....no sympathy from that miserable sob, and no common sense either!
            lol....

Comment

• scmhogg
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2003
              • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
              • BT3000

I remember, as a kid, that my father's car had "curb feelers". They were springy wire things that stuck out about a foot from the right side of the car. They made a loud scraping sound when you were close enough.
              I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

Working...