• Show
Clear All
  • Wolverine
    Handtools only
    • Aug 2013
    • Oshawa, Ontario
    • porter cable 10" Hybrid

Vertias Dowel Maker HELP!!!!

I bought a Dowel Maker Master Kit with the inserts for making Dowels from 1/4" to 1" from Lee Valley Tools here in Ontario.

The Vertias brand is awesome but I cannot seem to get a dowel that doesn't look like it has been shredded. I tried with pine, then I thought that was too soft so I went to Maple and still the same result. I am using a Rigid Cordless Drill with two speeds. If someone has this and has gotten better results, can you please message me as to how you did it.

I send photos if that will help.
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

On Youtube, there were a few video's where people made their own dowels, with a saw blade (mostly looked like reciprocating saws), and going through a hole.
    They all needed to be sanded after, I would expect that to be common with any of them (they left them in the chuck and ran sandpaper over it).
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

I haven't tried their dowel makers, but have you honed the cutter?

From the instructions: The blade is supplied with a 30° bevel ground in a 7" radius. As supplied, the cutting edge is adequate for rough work in most woods; however, accuracy and surface finish will be improved with additional sharpening.

*edit- Ok, you have that other jig (I'm jealous!)

Did you check the troubleshooting section of their instructions?

Try adjusting the feed rate, and maybe the front blade after changing the speed.
      Last edited by pelligrini; 08-11-2013, 12:48 PM.
      Erik

Comment

• big tim
        • Mar 2006
        • Scarborough, Toronto,Canada
        • SawStop PCS

Sounds to me that the "fine" blade is not touching the dowel!
        Regards,

Tim
        Sometimes my mind wanders. It's always come back though......sofar!

Comment

• DannyT
          Forum Newbie
          • Sep 2012
          • Groveport, OH

the instructions seem a lot more complicated than the old stanley dowel maker i was lucky to find but looks like it would make nice dowels once you got it setup.

Comment

• Wolverine
            Handtools only
            • Aug 2013
            • Oshawa, Ontario
            • porter cable 10" Hybrid

BIG TIM,
            A fellow Canadian EH. I live in Oshawa.

Will definitely check the "fine" blade.

Pelligrini,
            I will most defintely try adjusting my feed rate as well as changing the front blade.

I wanted to today but I am trying to finish up a Victorian Style Screen door for my parents.

Will keep everybody up to date as my progress continues.. Thanks for the quick responses so far. This is great

Comment

Working...