Taste difference between peanut and veg oil for turkey frying?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

Anyone try this?

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by jussi
      My cousin used that for Thanksgiving last year. He really like it but I thought it was OK. The unit is an expensive one trick pony to me.

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

I'm down for ruining one bird, but not three. My wife mentioned doing a smoked turkey, too. I have a Big Green Egg (medium size, go figure) and I'm game.

WHAT ????
        You own a Big Green Egg and were actually thinking about FRYING a turkey? If the BGE groups found out about this they would take away your egg. What were you thinking? That is one of the big selling features of an egg, you will not have to fry another turkey. In the classic BT3 form, maybe your eggs were not large enough to handle they volume, so just go out and buy a larger egg, you know you will always be able to use it later!

capncarl

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
          Veteran Member
          • May 2003
          • Nanuet, NY, USA.
          • BT3100

I never tried to deep fry a turkey, way too Southern for my tastes, but I do cook a tremendous amount of Chinese cusine. Always use a good quality peanut oil, the taste difference is beyond imagination. Vegetable oil ts just a blatant waste of time and money, just to save a few dollars on the oil. FWIW, Veg. oil just plain sucks for frying.

Happy Turkey Day all.

Bruce
          "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
          Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

Bruce
            I am with you and prefer chineese food woc fried in hog lard over the southern taste of p-nut oil any day.

Vegetable oil should not be called a food product and should be re-named an industrial product because it is processed using poisionus hexane. Lets start calling vegetable oil what it is, it is seed oil. Note that peanut oil is also considered vegetable oil. The good peanut oil is cold processed and does not use hexane.

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by capncarl
              WHAT ????
              You own a Big Green Egg and were actually thinking about FRYING a turkey? If the BGE groups found out about this they would take away your egg. What were you thinking? That is one of the big selling features of an egg, you will not have to fry another turkey. In the classic BT3 form, maybe your eggs were not large enough to handle they volume, so just go out and buy a larger egg, you know you will always be able to use it later!

capncarl
              I don't think Egg owners would go to KFC and lament that their chicken didn't taste smoked. If they want smoked, they should go to a BBQ place.

I got my Egg for $75. I'm not one of those Egg fanatics that have one of each size. That is some crazy money! I'm always on the lookout for a Large egg, though. I'd sell my medium to buy the large but not at full price.

Comment

• sscherin
                • Dec 2003
                • Kennewick, WA, USA.

The last 2 years we have done a overnight brine and then smoked the turkey in the Treager for 8 hours.. It's soooo good.
                William's Law--
                There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it
                cannot be solved by brute strength and ignorance.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2003
                  • Maryland
                  • Grizzly 1023SLX

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

I got three other guys to go in with me for peanut oil and gas. Why is peanut oil so expensive???

Anyway, we each had a turkey and a chicken-except Matt. Chris and Bill went first. Then Matt. Then me. We were all newbies but I did a lot of research and had everyone do homework.

I had to use the whole jug of oil. I started heating oil at 9am. Chris started us off at 10am and we fried straight until just now. I just finished my turkey at 2pm. That's 4 turkeys and 3 chickens in 5 hours!

My friend Chris dropping the inaugural turkey.

Chris and Bill had a joint Thanksgiving, and Chris texted me it was awesome. I dug into my chicken after Matt left, and although it wasn't the juiciest bird I've ever eaten, it was the tastiest. My turkey was seasoned identically to my chicken so I have a good feeling about it. I also have a turkey on my Big Green Egg.

We had wind chills in the teens so I set up a windscreen to protect the flame as well as us.

Now I just need to wait for mom to show before we can dig in. Until then the turkey waits in an insulated cooler.

I don't think I'll be doing this for Christmas (too cold) but this will definitely be a Thanksgiving tradition. The only downside is the cleanup.

Paul
                  Last edited by atgcpaul; 11-28-2013, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Working...