• Show
Clear All
  • BeauxTi
    Established Member
    • Jan 2012
    • Georgetown Texas
    • Ryobi BT300

Router DOA

Sucks, but my Router died. Was not a high dollar router - a Black&Decker about 28 years old - should not complain. In any case I need a new one - I don't have a table so it needs to be "Manual". I know there are probably old threads that talk about good Router suggestions - I searched through some of the threads and found one for table replacement, but did not talk about Hand Held. Any one want to chime in? I am guess I would want one with plunge function, 1/2 vs 1/4, and things I have not even thought about. Tanks in advance as always....
    Beaux Ti -

If you see a Bomb Tech running, follow him....
  • tommyt654
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2008

PC 690, hands down the best starter router out there and plenty available on CL and other places to buy cheap and even the newer Craftsmans are not bad for the money

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by tommyt654
      PC 690, hands down the best starter router out there and plenty available on CL and other places to buy cheap and even the newer Craftsmans are not bad for the money
      +1

If you buy a 1/2 inch, no matter which brand, it should come with a 1/4 adapter. Unless you do all small piece and light weight work, go with the 1/2.

Variable Speed is a bonus and helpful but it does cost more. I enjoy my Soft Start more than the VS on one of my Porter Cable routers. Soft Start prevents torq twisting upon start up.
      Last edited by leehljp; 02-19-2012, 10:44 PM.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

Depends on your need and budget. Personally I am more apt for either the Bosch 1617evs kit, or the Dewalt DW618 kit. That gives you multiple bases so you could leave one in the table (690 does as well) and a bit more power (could do light raised panel duty).

And you don't need a router table, I STRONGLY recommend visiting your local library and looking at Bill Hylton's Woodworking with the Router.
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• JimD
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2003
          • Lexington, SC.

It is worth checking your brushes and power switch on the BD router. Could be something simple.

Any of the current fixed base/plunge base kits will give you good service. I have 2 690s and 4 bases and I like it. But there is now a 890 from PC and the Bosch kit usually gets a better review. Many like the Milwaukee. Depends on how much you want to pay. If you can spend ~$250 you can have the top brands. If you want to spend less, then a rebuilt or used 690 will do all the same things.

Jim

Comment

• bigstick509
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Macomb, MI, USA.
            • BT3100

+1 for the Dewalt DW618 kit, I've had mine for six or seven years and have no complaints.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• wardprobst
              • Jan 2006
              • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
              • Craftsman 22811

We have several but my favorite is the DW621 because of the dust collection, motor and general build quality. We also have a Hitachi M12- it's a little awkward for handheld use but it's quiet and powerful. I don't know how heavy your use is or what size bits you have but the DWP611 kit might work if you have 1/4 bits and don't do real heavy work. It's light and powerful.
              Good luck,
              DP
              www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• tommyt654
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2008

http://www.finewoodworking.com/asset...ook_077988.pdf , free download

Comment

• durango dude
                  • Mar 2011
                  • a thousand or so feet above insanity
                  • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

I picked up an 11 amp (2hp) router in the Sears scratch n dent section awhile ago - and am very pleased with it.

(similar unit available in Lake Jackson, TX Sears for $59)

Frustrating thing about Sears for me is that its base plate screws aren't always compatable with router tables/specialized base plates/etc.
                  Last edited by durango dude; 02-20-2012, 02:23 PM.

Comment

• Pappy
                    The Full Monte
                    • Dec 2002
                    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 (x2)

You ae likely to get as many top recomendation as there are brand name routers/kits on the market. Soft start is almost a must have in the more powerful fouters and variable speed is needed if you are going spin any larger bits. Bottom line is that almost all of them perform well with the main differences being in the location of the controls.

My best advice is to got to a tool dealer and actually get the different brands/models in your hands. Spend a few minutes with them getting a feel for the location and operation of the switches and controls. Go with what feels best in YOUR hands.
                    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                    Fools because they have to say something.
                    Plato

Comment

• vaking
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2005
                      • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3100-1

There is a correlation between the size of a router bit and router speed. Bits less than 1-1/2" diameter should be used at highest speed. Bigger bits need to be slowed down but bigger bits are not recommended for hand-held use, only in a table. It means that if you plan to use router hand-held only - variable speed is nice to have but not a must. For router in a table variable speed is necessary.
                      Multi-base kits give you a single motor with fixed and plunge bases, so such kit can do all duties. There are several such kits around - from cheaper Craftsman (about $120) to well over $200 for brand names like Bosch and Dewalt. I have a large router in a table and a dual-base kit with single speed (KM12SC from Hitachi) for hand-held use.
                      I also have to admit - I am also addicted to a fixed-base Craftsman Pro router. Hitachi seems to be better built , quieter, etc, but Craftsman has some comvinient features that I like and Hitachi does not have. Features like LED light that helps you see what you are doing, On/Off switch in a handle and ability to use dust collection while routing hand-held. Craftsman does not plunge but it is my go-to router for tasks like making dovetail joints.
                      Alex V

Comment

• twistsol
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                        • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

In my router tables I have the Triton 2.25hp and 3.5hp. both variable speed and the work great. I have hitachi and Ryobi routers as well, but my go to router is the Porter Cable 690 kit with plunge and D-Handle base. It's 10+ maybe 15 years old and runs like the day it was new. No soft start at all but for small bits, it isn't necessary

I pretty much think it's personal preference as to feel for the router and any of the brands mentioned above will suit your needs as long as you're comfortable with it.
                        Chr's

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

look in the BT3 FAQ.
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA
                          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Cochese
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jun 2010

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                            look in the BT3 FAQ.
                            I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• BeauxTi
                              Established Member
                              • Jan 2012
                              • Georgetown Texas
                              • Ryobi BT300

Okay - I know I must be digging in the wrong hole - I went to the FAQ and all I could find were notes on how to use the Fourm. Is there another FAQ that is not listed in the site bar?
                              Beaux Ti -

If you see a Bomb Tech running, follow him....

Comment

Working...