X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

Sub panel question

In the last couple of months I've gotten some really good deals on some stationary tools. Only problem is they're all 220V so it's time to run some new lines. I've decided to run a 60A line and install a subpanel. 2-220v 20a, 2-110v 20A lines. I was hoping to get a Main Breaker panel. I've been looking around for a sub panel with a built in Main Breaker but haven't been able to find one north of $100 locally. There are several Main Lug panels for $35 and up. Question is can I just occupy 2 of the slots and feed the main 60A line from main house breaker to a 220V 60A breaker in the garage's sub panel?
    Last edited by jussi; 08-19-2014, 02:33 PM.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • mpc
    • Feb 2005
    • Cypress, CA, USA.
    • BT3000 orig 13amp model

That's what was done at my house in Cypress. Older single breakers were replaced by a couple double breakers to free up slots, then a bridged breaker was added for garage power to a sub-panel. Just recently the whole main panel was replaced as part of an air conditioner installation. Kept the same setup to feed the sub-panel. The city inspector checked everything in the new panel and said "wire sizes match the breakers... there's the feed to your sub... alllooks good." He didn't look at any of the sub-panel stuff.

Edit: I don't remember a main breaker in the sub-panel... just breakers for the various circuits. I'll have to go look at it later.

mpc
    Last edited by mpc; 08-19-2014, 02:01 PM.

Comment

• jussi
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007

It's not a huge deal if I just ran the 60A line to the lugs directly. I'll only be having 4 breakers so switch 4 breakers to turn all the power off in the garage (or go to the house main panel and turn it off there) but it would be nice to have one main one that's in the garage.

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

I'll have to go look at my sub when I get home. I don't remember a main breaker in my sub either. It's in a detached garage. It was installed by a licensed electrician, but not inspected.

I can't seem to find a straight answer to "Does code require a main breaker in a subpanel in a detached building?" All the discussions descend into chaos.

It's fairly unanimous that if your subpanel is in an attached structure, you *do not* need a main breaker in your subpanel. So if your garage is attached, you can hook the wires coming from your main panel sub breaker directly to the lugs on your subpanel.

That being said, if your panel were on the opposite side of the house, it would be more convenient to not have to run over there, flip the subpanel breaker off, run back, do your work, then go back to flip it back on, and run back to check your work.
        Last edited by atgcpaul; 08-19-2014, 05:15 PM. Reason: just confirmed, no main breaker in subpanel

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

My sub does not have a main, the breaker for the line is on the main. I got it on Amazon for dirt cheap money. The important things to me beyond the obvious safety issues, are capacity, I didn't need, or want a huge sub panel, but it had to have plenty of slots for what I was doing, and likely to expand into... And the other important thing was, since the house, and all the homes in my neighborhood were strung using Square D, was that I keep the breakers compatible and commonly available in my area...

My SquareD sub panel...

As to the question of if the sub panel needs a main breaker if it is in a detached building, I would ask your code enforcement office. I asked that question for future reference if I were forced to move the shop into a shed / outbuilding, and they said, no, but it DID have to have a breaker protecting the circuit, it could either be on the feed side (the main) or on the sub panel itself. It did not have to be in both places, and since I was feeding FROM a breaker, the circuit was protected.
          Last edited by dbhost; 08-19-2014, 04:55 PM.
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• cwsmith
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
            • BT3100-1

I had a 100 amp service run from my house panel out the garage (separate building) two years ago. It was all underground line (#4, IIRC). A new full size panel, but no main breaker in it.

I had a licensed "master" electrician do the job to ensure that everything was 'up to code'.

My understanding is that recent code provisions require your subpanel to be separately grounded.

CWS
            Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• jussi
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by cwsmith

My understanding is that recent code provisions require your subpanel to be separately grounded.

CWS
              Yah I already bought the 2 - 8 foot copper grounding rods and acorns. Looking forward to driving those in the ground.

Comment

Working...