Advice from others on building a Frankensaw?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Photos of levelers on my saw cabinet. Note small diameter very heavy duty swivel casters. This saw does not have to be moved out of the shop and is on a level floor or it would have 5" casters.
    The torsion box was constructed, saw cabinet was built to provide the desired height and then the other cabinets were added.
    Don't forget dust control. You may want to use it indoors later.
    capncarl
    Attached Files
    Last edited by capncarl; 08-18-2014, 06:31 PM. Reason: Photo did not attach

Comment

• fishcrazy
      Forum Newbie
      • Jul 2013

capncarl that's a nice powermatic saw setup you have there as well as a nice shop. Thanks or sharing that photo. I love buying things online but I hate that they are sometimes poorly presented and you have to fine the product somewhere to actually touch it and see how well its made etc. The big box stores don't appear to have any of those levelers so I guess I will get them from amazon or craft some myself.

Since you stressed the use of a torsion box I have noticed some pictures of some carts online that appear to have quite some sag in them. Thanks for that pointer again.

Here is an image of an out feed and in feed setup I am thinking of using Click image for larger version

Name:	Infeed_and_outfeed_example_1527 (1).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	786908

Click image for larger version

Name:	Infeed_and_outfeed_example_1527 (2).JPG
Views:	2
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	786909.

I think those images came from this site somewhere but dont remember what thread.

Comment

• vaking
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2005
        • Montclair, NJ, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3100-1

I built wide table kit without a torsion box. It is doable but not easy. My cabinet is 6' long. Saw rails overhang the cabinet by 4" on the left and 8" on the right. I have a single 6' long cabinet. Back wall is glued in and provides sufficient stiffness to the back of the cabinet. Metal profile under the cabinet adds stiffness to the front. My floor is level - my shop is in the basement. I am pretty sure 2 cabinets bolted together will not be stiff enough.
        My saw has dust collection from the back + dust collection from the shark guard and I have a dust pan under the saw in addition.
        Alex V

Comment

• fishcrazy
          Forum Newbie
          • Jul 2013

vaking thanks for the info. I have a glued in back which makes for the cabinet being stiff but not much on the front if I dont do the torsion box thing. Im wondering how people are joining the rails of these saws. I dont have the wide table kit so I'm going to have to wing it there.I bought some flat aluminum plate today to hopefully address that with.

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

I believe my De Staco levelers came from Woodcraft in the Atl. area. These are the auto adjust type, not sure what it adjusts but it has several things to fiddle with. I wouldn't recommend this type, save $5'each and get the non adjust type. I bought them because the others were out of stock, should have ordered them.
            I wanted an out feed table that stays attached to the back of the saw and hinges down out of the way for storage. Not sure I like little legs that I know will get tangled up with my size 13s. I liberated a Rigid miter saw utility vehicle cart when my miter saw was installed on a perminate stand and am using it with a 6' long piece of roller conveyor attached to the top. The roller conveyor height is easily adjustable and easily fits behind the table saw, thickness planer, drum sander and jointer. The downside to this type out feed is its width, wide pieces need additional supports.
            capncarl

Comment

• fishcrazy
              Forum Newbie
              • Jul 2013

Before I started this reconfiguration with the two saws I had the saw on wheels and had put a out feed table that folded down on the back of it but the saw didn't have enough weight down low to sustain the out feed table in a stable state. If I bumped it at all it was subject to fall or whatever. Just did not work out that well. I don't think not having enough weight is going to be a problem now though. There will be too much room in the base to store stuff. Already threw stuff in there and now have to clean it out to work on it. I obviously am not afraid to get that cart out in front of the horse! That is the reason that I am opting for these slim in feed and out feed tables this time around. I sure hope I like these. Don't want another do over. I plan to make them movable to accommodate all the cutting setups. I need to think through it a bit better than I have though.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by fishcrazy
                B... There will be too much room in the base to store stuff. ...
                there is no such thing as too much room to store stuff.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• fishcrazy
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Jul 2013

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                  there is no such thing as too much room to store stuff.
                  You are correct! If I find storage space I can fill it!

Comment

Working...