• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

workshop epiphany

I had an epiphany in my shop today. I'm an idiot!

I milled up a bunch of poplar for drawer slides and had already cut all my sides to finished length. I just finished cutting the fronts and backs to finished width for one cabinet--one skinny drawer on top and two tall drawers on the bottom that will convert the current base to pullouts from the existing shelves.

The drawers are going together using pocket screws. A plant on front will coverthe holes in the front. I had just finished assembling 3 drawers for another cabinet and started drilling out the holes for these drawers. Man, this is tedious, I thought (after all these years, I still use my Kreg mini jig), I can't wait until I'm done. I'm on my fourth piece and then I realize I'm drilling into the sides and not the fronts/backs! They are different dimensions with the sides being longer than the fronts so I can't just cut them off or swap them. Luckily this cabinet is in a corner so it won't be too obvious when I plug the holes but I still need to make the plugs.

So as I was fuming over that, I also realized I forgot that for three of these cabinets, I'm reusing the existing top drawer and hardware and just putting on a new face. I inadvertently milled all the wood for 3 new drawers, though. I guess this is better than coming up short, but that wood (and effort) could have gone towards something else.

Thanks for letting me vent.
  • BadeMillsap
    • Dec 2005
    • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
    • Grizzly G1023SL

Soooo .... would now be a good time to mention that on the machinist tool box I'm building (and have temporarily set aside because of the following ...) I very carefully measured AND CUT a grove on the FACE of one of the raised panels rather than the BACK ....

I guess these things happen to all of us but it REALLY pi$$ed me off and I just have to wait until my anger and frustration subsides (hopefully before Thanksgiving) before I can resume that project ...

In the meantime I'm playing Howard Hughes ... more to follow in a later post...
    "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
    Bade Millsap
    Bulverde, Texas
    => Bade's Personal Web Log
    => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• mpc
      • Feb 2005
      • Cypress, CA, USA.
      • BT3000 orig 13amp model

Originally posted by BadeMillsap
      In the meantime I'm playing Howard Hughes ... more to follow in a later post...
      Making wooden airplanes?

Comment

• BadeMillsap
        • Dec 2005
        • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
        • Grizzly G1023SL

Originally posted by mpc
        Making wooden airplanes?
        In a manner of speaking
        Bade Millsap
        Bulverde, Texas

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

Everyone makes mistakes, some of us find new and clever ways to make them! I made a 4 drawer chest of drawers one time and when it was finished and was putting the top on it, I discovered I had built it upside down. Looks like the feet sticking up would been a hint?

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by BadeMillsap
            I very carefully measured AND CUT a grove on the FACE of one of the raised panels rather than the BACK :
            With the grain or across it?

Comment

• BadeMillsap
              • Dec 2005
              • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
              • Grizzly G1023SL

Groove... With the grain. I actually salvaged the middle panel but have to resaw, plane and refit the rails and stiles
              Bade Millsap
              Bulverde, Texas

Comment

• twistsol
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

This must have been a good weekend for mistakes. I built a jamb for the door between my office and the storage room, installed it and sealed around it with GreatStuff because the storage room is unheated. When I went to hang the door I noticed that the unfinished side of the jamb was facing out.

I gave up and installed new lights on the trailer instead. I'll finish the door in a couple of weeks after I get the kids moved to college this weekend.
                Chr's

Comment

• atgcpaul
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2003
                  • Maryland
                  • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by twistsol
                  When I went to hang the door I noticed that the unfinished side of the jamb was facing out.
                  Other than cutting something too short or drilling on the wrong face of something, I think this ranks up there with my most common mistakes. I can think of two other projects where I did this because the part I was working with was symmetrical and of course, both times I had already glued the thing together.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I have made those kinds of mistakes way too often. THings start looking alike and mirror image parts can play all kinds of tricks on your mind. Sometimes its minor like you want one side facing out and i ends up being in and sometimes you put the rabbet or groove or countersunk hole on the wrong side.

I have taken to
                    putting hash marks on the cut off or waste side of pieces
                    putting masking tape on all pieces identifying outside, front facing, back facing, right and left and top and bottom where necessary.

One problem facing us THat I have noted in many years of engineering is that when there's multiple ways of orienting a item we do pretty well trying to make it clear how to go together but when there is only two ways to assemble something there is an increased likelyhood of putting it in backwards some of the time. And so we cut the wrong end, or wrong sides of boards with two ends or two sides when we place it on the table or saw.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• phrog
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2005
                      • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Ever cut a 30 degree angle at 60 degrees instead of 30 because you turned the board over?
                      Richard

Comment

• atgcpaul
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2003
                        • Maryland
                        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Workshop for sale. Cheap. Make best offer.

15" cabinet opening. 1" side clearance needed for both drawer slides. How wide do you think I made the finished width of 4 boxes? Yup. 15! Idiot! I found this out after I installed the drawer slides and was about to do the test slide. I swear these were the right size two weeks ago!

Luckily, I used pocket screws (and some glue) as well as screw on drawer bottoms so cutting them down and inch won't be too horrible.

I can't catch a break.

Comment

Working...