• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BadeMillsap
    • Dec 2005
    • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
    • Grizzly G1023SL

Machinist's toolbox hardware

I've started building a "machinist' toolbox" per Woodsmith #183.

This link shows the toolbox and offers a "kit" of hardware...

The price SEEMS way out of line... $150 but maybe I'm naive about what this stuff costs... Or maybe having all in a kit is worth not having to piecemeal the parts...

Anyone built one of these? Any thoughts on hardware sourcing?

Via Tapatalk on Android
    "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
    Bade Millsap
    Bulverde, Texas
    => Bade's Personal Web Log
    => Bade's Lutherie Web Log
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Nice project!

To me, that hardware price also seems a bit high; but I haven't taken the time to go through all of the detail of exactly what is needed either.

Personally, for my occasional hardware needs I'm a big fan of Lee-Valley. They have a spectacular hardware catalog with a great variety. Their prices are also quite competitive too and their service is exceptional from my limited experience. (I have no affiliation, other than being the happy customer of occasion.)

Their web site is at www.leevalley.com

I hope this helps, and good luck on the project,

CWS
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

Seems high but hardware adds up fast. You would have to add it up to be sure. My favorite place is:

When it comes to hardware suppliers you can count on, Woodworker's Hardware has all the items you need in stock and ready to ship within 24 hours.

I like lee valley too but Woodworkers Hardware has a much larger selection. I get their catalog and it's at least 500 pages. Good prices too.

Comment

• BadeMillsap
        • Dec 2005
        • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
        • Grizzly G1023SL

A little progress on the Tool Chest

The pic shows the case built/glued, the front and back panels glued and rough sanded, and I just finished the 7 drawer sides/fronts/backs and their box joints ... still have to cut dado for bottom, and dados in sides to provide for the slides built into the case. And I have to decide on drawer pulls ....

I ordered some "test" hardware from Van Dykes to see if the hinges and drawer pulls suit me ... if so that will save some cost of hardware over the "kit" aforementioned but it's still pretty darn spendy.

The wood is QSRO and then using cypress for most of the drawer backs and sides.

One thing everyone that looks at it says is ... "it isn't very big is it?..."
        ... well no but it is sure taking a LOT of wood!!!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by BadeMillsap; 07-17-2014, 08:36 AM. Reason: tyos
        "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
        Bade Millsap
        Bulverde, Texas
        => Bade's Personal Web Log
        => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

Machinists tool boxes are not usually very big, they keep their measuring tools in that box and all the other tools are in a bigger beater tool box.

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

I priced the ring pulls which are sold separately on their website. They're $7 each. Comparable ones at Rockler and Lee Valley start at $15.

I think it's all going to cost you some $$$ but if you compromise here and there, you may be able to get it below $150. However, if you're sourcing from several different places, you might make up that difference in shipping.

Comment

Working...