• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Shop time. Cleanup, and organizing...

It's been a while since I have posted any sort of shop progress, mostly because, well it's been a while since I had any. My time has been taken up elsewhere...

Last night, I finally was able to eke out at least a little bit of time to get me into the shop, and try to get my head cleared up...

Okay not much of anything to write a forum post about, but I did manage to pick up some cheapie plug cutters, and drill stops from Home Depot. These are General Tool And Instrument pieces, made in China, and I really don't expect a lot from them, but they were dirt cheap, and worth gambling on. So I made spaces for them in my racks by the drill press. Impatient me actually decided to try out the plug cutter in a small scrap of walnut... And I was rewarded with excellent results. (I keep the Wood Magazine speed chart by my drill press).

While I had the overhead air filter connected, I never did secure the power cable up and out of the way, for either it, OR the shop lights. This was fixed last night as well with some sheet rock anchors and cable straps. I HATE working overhead by the way...

The holidays saw a LOT of new stuff coming in to the shop, and old stuff going out, in woodworking gear, as well as lawn and garden, so I have a sizeable stack of boxes and packing material I at least started on clearing out.

I have some DC parts that I need to get stuffed in a box, and a shipping quote to a member here (sorry, I have been REALLY tied up lately) that is close to ready to go now. (I unburied the stuff again...).

I also spend a touch of time with the compressor and a blow gun cleaning up the Firestorm miter saw. I want it shiny and new looking so I can snap some new pics of it for listing on Craigslist. This is a really nice non slider, but I cam up against a glut of Delta, and Hitachi 10" non sliders on the used market now, and it is depressing prices below where I want to go.

I have been pulling the things like cans of mineral spirits (why do I have 2 partial cans?) and combining same for same to reduce the footprint, and risk involved in many of the chemicals. I am however coming up with a sizeable box of old spray paint and other misc household chemicals that I haven't touched in 10+ years. It's time for this junk to GO...

As I proceed cleaning out, removing old junk, and working on storage projects, I am seeing a satisfying evolution to my shop. 3 years ago, it was just a garage with a folding table saw, a cheap router, a handful of bits, and a shop vac. I am now surrounded with a well equipped shop, with almost all the major tools I could want (a mortiser and a wide drum sander would be nice) and I am producing decent finished projects now... Not fantastic, but decent... And getting better...

I had originally tried out the MLCS pins & tails through dovetail template set, and had gotten frustrated, BADLY by my results. The tails would just blow out for no reason... Well after fiddling with every piece of advice on the subject I can find, I come to the following conclusion. Don't bother trying to machine cut dovetails in Home Depot white pine boards. The stuff simply blows out. Actually it blows out big chunks when cutting with a hand saw... And I don't mean an old dull piece of junk, but a new, sharp marples pull saw...

I do have one request for the shop I am far from happy about though. LOML wants to move the upright freezer out of the kitchen and in to the shop. This could be worse, but I am not happy about the amount of space this takes up. HOWEVER, it DOES give me a bargaining chip to be able to get a garden shed out in the yard. If I can jettison lawn and garden, as well as BBQ materials, I will have bought back more than enough space to make my shop really work the way I want it to...

On a related note. As many of you know, I have 3 of those Stack On 39 drawer storage cabinet thingies. One of them has a busted large lower drawer, and honestly, they suck up too much wall space... I have been wanting to eliminate the bad one, and have finally coughed up the few bucks it will take to get a set of separators, so that my 3/4 empty drawers can be combined without mixing the contents (Thanks a LOT Stack on, what a PAIN!). I remember years ago, All of these sorts of things came with dividers, the cabinets, tackle boxes etc... This is a cheap shortcut that just ticks me off to no end... But, once they come in, I can rearrange my small stuff storage, move the router bit / drill bit rack, and reorient the router bit boxes. I am going to be filling a LOT of holes in sheetrock when I rearrange the wall anchors for this stuff!

I seriously doubt I am going to have an opportunity to get out to the shop again until at least Sunday. But on the plus side, I do have a long weekend coming up next weekend, which I have taken off for some personal celebration... And that is ME time...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Okay, for those that may have an interest, here are the pics of the progress, and what progress it has been!

The tool stacker has been cleaned up. Non related stuff (except the yellow twine) has been removed, and everything set in the slot where it is easiest to get off and set up.

The miter saw and lathe area. The miter saw is set up for DC using the shop vac / thien combo. It works more or less, but not perfect. It still needs a hood...

The lathe itself. You can see the detail of the 2 layer foil backed foam insulation in the shop doors. Boy does that stuff help with keeping the cold at bay during the winter, and the hot at bay during the summer! I still need to do some siding, insulation, and drywall work to the divider between the doors, When the A/C is disconnected, I need to come up with some way to insulate those twin 5" holes...

The band saw and drill press. yes the DP is leaning, it's the floor. I need to figure out how to handle that, but I am not hugely worried about it.. I have some ideas, so changes might be coming soon...

My hand held power tool storage, router bit, spade bit, countersink, plug cutter storage, as well as the multi bin wall cabinets have been rearranged and tightened up quite a bit. I have the large and small drawer dividers on order from Stack On. I HATE the lead time on these, but at least I can get them... I also made spots to hang my featherboards, and other misc accessories.

Lastly, the inglorious in the shop. This is what is left to do. For the most part this is actually already done (the pics are from Sunday, and I got some work time in last night). The yellow things there are a pair of adjustable sawhorses. I need to make a place to store them...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Cochese
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2010

How easy do find lifting and putting back items on that stack?
      I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Most of the time, no problem. Sometimes however, I am wishing I had these things mounted on rolling stands. I have recurring back problems caused by a car wreck that makes it pretty much impossible to lift anything, let alone an #80 planer...

A flip top rolling stand might be in my future for the planer / jointer. The sander is plenty light, so I am not worried about it, and the grinder can be put on a stand stuck in the corner right next to the lathe where it would be useful anyway...

The shop development process for me at least, has been an evolutionary one... Don't get me wrong, the stacker setup really works well, but due to certain physical issues, it doesn't work that well for me sometimes... Of course when I can't move stuff on / off the stacker, I shouldn't be working in the shop anyway, but rather kicking back with muscle relaxers on a hot pad...

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

It would drive me nuts to have my DP tilted at an angle.

I like to shim my DPs so the column is perpendicular to the world - that should make the table parallel with your level's bubble and then when you are drilling tall items on end you can check and make sure the drill is going in straight by using the vertical bubble on a level on both sides of the item being drilled to ensure its going straight.

I suppose you could do the function by using an engineers try square against the table top and not have to square up the DP to the floor but this feels better to me sometimes to have it both ways.

Just my preference.

I haven't leveled my Bandsaw though, can't think of a reason to do that.

PS, upon review, I think your DP is dangerously tippy, besides being tilted, you don't have the narrow base secured or bolted to a larger base. With a High CoG and 150+ pounds of weight I think its a potential disaster.

I made a wider base by bolting longer 2x4's across the width with some castors at the ends for mobility.
          This forum is for discussions about any and all power tools. Whether you are looking to buy a new tool or you have a question about the usage of a tool, this is the place to be!

see posts 31 & 34
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-11-2011, 01:53 PM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

You noticed that... Not sure if I mentioned it in my original write up above, but I am planning on ripping the lumber for the mobile base build after I get the shop clean. YES the drill press is dangerously tippy... And I am HATING the slope to the shop floor... Chances are the miter saw will get moved, and the DP will go back where it originally was... Seemed to work best for me between the doors...

The mobile base for the DP will be 18"x18", and will have a mounting block 1.5" thick secured to the mobile base so I get a touch of added height (it's a bit low for me...). The silly HF mobile base requires 1.25" square stock... Meaning I need to get un-lazy and get to ripping some stock...

Now I need to figure out a location for the miter saw / stand... It moves pretty easy, I might just move it a touch closer to the west wall...

Comment

• Cochese
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2010

Just as a counterpoint, I never once questioned the stability of my DP on it's base. I might make a wider base at some point, but I don't feel compelled to do it.

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by CocheseUGA
                Just as a counterpoint, I never once questioned the stability of my DP on it's base. I might make a wider base at some point, but I don't feel compelled to do it.
                Drill presses have a variety of bases, some more stable than others. No matter where on my shop floor I put it, there is always a slight wobble. An improved base is without a doubt in order...

Comment

• RodKirby
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
                  • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

I added this 1-1/4" MDF base (adjustable feet), and drawers before the DP was assembled - much easier to do

Click image for larger version

Name:	newdp01.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	785504Click image for larger version

Name:	newdp02.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	785505
                  Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• Cochese
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2010

Originally posted by RodKirby
                    I added this 1-1/4" MDF base (adjustable feet), and drawers before the DP was assembled - much easier to do

[ATTACH]16383[/ATTACH][ATTACH]16384[/ATTACH]
                    Wow. Impressive.

I'd love to spend an hour looking at about 5 million pictures of your shop.

Comment

• RodKirby
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
                      • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Originally posted by CocheseUGA
                      Wow. Impressive.

I'd love to spend an hour looking at about 5 million pictures of your shop.
                      Thank you. Here's a bunch of pics...

This is a collection of posts that are considered "the best of the forum."

A lot of changes since these were taken
                      Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• radhak
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2006
                        • Miramar, FL
                        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by dbhost
                        Okay, for those that may have an interest...
                        We are all interested, but we were waiting for the pictures...What can I say - we are like small kids in that !

Originally posted by dbhost
                        Most of the time, no problem. Sometimes however, I am wishing I had these things mounted on rolling stands. I have recurring back problems caused by a car wreck that makes it pretty much impossible to lift anything, let alone an #80 planer...
                        Please listen to yourself, and take better care. I am in touch with a colleague who had a whiplash from a horrendous football tackle and he treated it symptomatically (ie, only rested it when the pain was too much), and finally ended up a chronic problem : now he is not allowed to even lift a briefcase. His wife is the 'lifter and pusher' of the family now, and he hates it. He now wishes he had taken more care when he could.
                        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                        - Aristotle

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by radhak
                          We are all interested, but we were waiting for the pictures...What can I say - we are like small kids in that !
                          I resemble that remark!

Please listen to yourself, and take better care. I am in touch with a colleague who had a whiplash from a horrendous football tackle and he treated it symptomatically (ie, only rested it when the pain was too much), and finally ended up a chronic problem : now he is not allowed to even lift a briefcase. His wife is the 'lifter and pusher' of the family now, and he hates it. He now wishes he had taken more care when he could.
                          Been working with a doc on that... I do not push myself as much as I used to, and I am working with the therapist to get this straightened out... I still want to minimize the lifting if I can...

Comment

• Cochese
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jun 2010

Originally posted by RodKirby
                            Thank you. Here's a bunch of pics...

This is a collection of posts that are considered "the best of the forum."

A lot of changes since these were taken
                            Anytime you want to take more, you've got a captive audience.

Comment

• dbhost
                              Slow and steady
                              • Apr 2008
                              • League City, Texas
                              • Ryobi BT3100

More work done tonight. Nothing picture worthy though. Stuff got shoved up into the attic, and the junk collection that is on the big workbench is starting to get pulled out... I rearranged the lathe and the drill press, sort of swapped positions. Now the lathe is too close to the band saw. That can be fixed though... I am getting much closer to where I want to be for sure!

Photos will be coming soon... I ended up washing out my vac filter, and emptying the can tonight. I guess a year + will do that to a Thien separator vac. (Kind of been rarely using that, and using my DC setup instead of the vac...)

My back said enough, so I came in and put a kettle on for tea...

Comment

Working...