• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Cool, sounds like you're getting it sorted.

I've seen some companies spray a bleach solution with a handheld sprayer or a pump one when they were doing some mold remediation.

On the roof vents, do you already have soffit or eve vents? Just doing the venting at the ridge or up high will help some, but you really need to have them high and low to get proper airflow,
    Erik

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by pelligrini
      On the roof vents, do you already have soffit or eve vents? Just doing the venting at the ridge or up high will help some, but you really need to have them high and low to get proper airflow,
      I've learned a lot since buying this house--our second house, but first without an HOA doing the exterior maintenance. One thing I learned is to not use the realtor's choice of home inspectors without some other referalls.

He missed (and so did I) things that are obvious to me now like the lack of soffit vents on the house. The garage has neither soffit nor roof vents but it wasn't originally insulated--just open to the rafters--so maybe that was OK at the time.

I will be balancing the net free vent area of the roof vents with the appropriate number of soffit vents.

Comment

• Hellrazor
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Abyss, PA
        • Ridgid R4512

Originally posted by atgcpaul
        I will still get up in the attic to check things out. I also need to install those roof vents but have to set up ladder jacks on the steep roof.
        Might be easier to install gable vents? Or even a gable vent fan? Instead of dealing with the high pitch roof.

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by Hellrazor
          Might be easier to install gable vents? Or even a gable vent fan? Instead of dealing with the high pitch roof.
          I have a hipped roof--no gable ends.

Comment

• chopnhack
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • Florida
            • Ryobi BT3100

Have you considered the solar powered roof vents? Closest thing to a free lunch in attic venting
            I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Hellrazor
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2003
              • Abyss, PA
              • Ridgid R4512

Originally posted by atgcpaul
              I have a hipped roof--no gable ends.
              The house has them here too. I put vented soffiting in the eves and 3 can vents on the roof.

Comment

• jaybee
                Established Member
                • Feb 2006
                • Regina, SK, Canada
                • BT3100-1

Try this:

Concrobim's Mold Control heals your home by using all-natural ingredients to kill mold without using harmful chemicals like bleach or ammonia.Call today for ...

We in Canada just go to any big box store and buy a spray bottle. Spray it on, let it dry, and paint over it. Safe as houses ... so to speak

Comment

• atgcpaul
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2003
                  • Maryland
                  • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by jaybee
                  Try this:

Concrobim's Mold Control heals your home by using all-natural ingredients to kill mold without using harmful chemicals like bleach or ammonia.Call today for ...

We in Canada just go to any big box store and buy a spray bottle. Spray it on, let it dry, and paint over it. Safe as houses ... so to speak
                  Wow! Seems to good to be true but so many good reviews. I'll go pick up a gallon. Thanks for the heads up. I was not looking forward to the bleach smell.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2003
                    • Maryland
                    • Grizzly 1023SLX

So I manned up and poked around in the attic space. Saw no water damage and more importantly, no mold. Dry as a bone.

I noticed more mold where the rafter beam meets the drywall. Probably where moist air is trying to escape. I guess I just need to run the AC more. I'm working on converting the window in the shop door to one that opens.

Comment

• Hellrazor
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2003
                      • Abyss, PA
                      • Ridgid R4512

Just remember - mold needs moisture, food and the right temps to grow.

"Air Conditioner Operation: Always set the fan mode switch of your air conditioner thermostat in the AUTO position, never in the ON position. When set to the ON position the blower fan runs continuously and the moisture which has condensed on your air conditioner's evaporator coil during cooling is re-evaporated and blown back into your home before it can drain off the coil and out of your home."

Same for a window unit, set a temp that isn't too ungodly low and let it cycle.

Do not buy an over sized air conditioner. Over sized units can't properly dehumidify because they short cycle. This applies to window and central air units.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2003
                        • Maryland
                        • Grizzly 1023SLX

We had some really nice weather today. I ordered a Velux Sun Tunnel from HD and arranged in-store pick up after church. My Dad came over after lunch and we installed the tubular skylight and one roof vent. We probably could have installed another vent but I hadn't had lunch and my Dad was itching to get home to watch the golf match on CBS. I also need to set up two series of roof jacks to reach that height.

When I was in the attic space yesterday, it felt just like it did outside--relatively comfortable. It was overcast and rainy all day. Today was a different story. Went up there around 1pm with the sun beating down on the roof and it was stifling. When I cut the hole in the roof for the skylight, moist air was just pouring out of there.

Right now I have the attic hatch open so there is some decent venting going on. I went back up there around 7pm (same time as this picture) and it wasn't too bad. I did see some mold on the underside of the insulation when I pulled it back to cut the hole for the skylight. Again, it was just on the surface of the drywall. I guess I need to pull it all back and spray it with the Concrobium.

I'm going to install another vent next to the one already up there and then two more on the other side of the roof. I also have to put in soffit vents. When I put the insulation in, I already put in the rafter vents down to the soffits.

Ideally, the skylight would have gone where the vent went, but it would be obvious from the street. I would need permission from the city's historic district commission. The vents are considered just maintenance items and don't need any permission. I'm trusting that my neighbors don't rat me out, but the one has been cool in the past and the other is a newbie.

Comment

Working...