• Show
Clear All
  • tfischer
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Thanks all.

Sorry for the sideways pics... my camera sets the orientation properly and they look fine when I view the on the computer, but somehow uploading them here makes them rotate sideways.

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Lookin' good.

Comment

• Carpenter96
        Established Member
        • Aug 2011
        • Barrie ON Canada
        • BT 3000

I feel for only children because they usually don't get to experience their own set of bunk beds. Great Job.

Regards Bob

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

In most cameras the normal camera orientation results in a picture file that is horizontal and the top is the top of the picture you see framed. If you hold the camera sideways then the picture file is sideways.

Many cameras nowadays have a sensor which detects gravity direction and sets some bits in the picture file indicating which way it thinks is up. THis sensor can be fooled for example by pointing it down at something like a picture on the ground... (long explanation)

Many viewer software automatically rotates the picture display according to the orientation bits, particularly the camera makers' photo viewers. However the top of the photo file is still relative to the camera itself (unless you use software to rotate it).
          When you insert the file into most word processors or paint programs or forums threads they do not normally try and guess at the rotation. Physically rotating the file involves transposition: making the 2nd pixel on the first row into the 1st pixel on the second row and so on. If you had a NxM sized photo it would show up as a MxN sized photo when you are done with the transposition.

What you probably should do is to turn off display autorotation option in your viewer and then you will see the picture as it will be posted. Rotate and save the file as necessary.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-03-2014, 12:07 AM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2007
            • Buena Park, CA
            • CM 21829

Beautiful work, and they look plenty strong. Those look like heirloom bunkbeds to me.
            Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• tfischer
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2003
              • BT3100

Originally posted by Bill in Buena Park
              Beautiful work, and they look plenty strong. Those look like heirloom bunkbeds to me.
              Thanks for the kind words. That is my hope, that they will be in use for a long, long time. Once they outgrow the bunks, you can swap the ends so that each bed has a tall headboard and a shorter footboard. I went to some lengths to make sure there wasn't an excessive amount of 'damage' done by making them bunks... when they are single beds someday there will just be a few stray holes where metal pins currently hold things together... a few wood caps bought at the hardware store and it will look like a champ. The ladder just slips over the rail (I used Rockler brackets) so no damage there, and the front upper rail bolts into threaded inserts on the inside of the rail which is will be hidden by the mattress.

And I built the as Twin-XL so they should never outgrow them. When we went mattress shopping the guy told me I must be wrong... nobody makes an XL bunk bed. I said "I do" lol.

Really had fun with this build and learned a lot.

Comment

• gerti
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Always wanted one just like that one when I was a kid... Looks really good!

Comment

• organicot
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Feb 2018

I know this is an old thread, came looking for instruction to build a flat slat based bed.. did you put the detailed instructions on how you build these somewhere?

Comment

• tfischer
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2003
                    • BT3100

Stumbled across my old thread today. I just wanted to report that 4 years later, the boys are still using these bunk beds and they have held up wonderfully. In particular the question above regarding adding stiffness to the ladders... the sliding dovetail design has held up great and it's as solid (if not more so) than a commercial ladder.

I just rebuilt the tennoning jig I whipped up quickly for this project. I made the original out of melamine-covered particle board which I had on hand but was a poor choice as the garage gets humid and it swelled up and warped slightly.. made it hard to slide on the fence and also threw off the accuracy. This time I redid it in plywood. I will try to remember to add a post to the jigs section on how it works.

Comment

Working...