• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bollox
    Established Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Indianapolis, IN, USA.

[/quote]Sorry Mike and Tim,
    My tensioner came with the two "fixed spacers" attached. I had initially ordered them and was told they were backordered too. Then the rod came in with them on it so I cancelled the backordered parts.
    [/quote]

The spacer deal has been a bit of a saga for me - I was told with the initial order that they came with the rod, but they didnt. So I called to order them and was told that they should have come with the rod and they would send me the complete rod assembly FOC. Well that arrived bare as well. So I called again, and this time was told that I needed to order all the parts seperately, but the spacers were back ordered, 4 to 6 weeks. At which stage I said screw it, I'll make my own.

Another detail on my conversion (I'm putting it on a Grizzly 1019) is that the threaded rod on my saw is 3/8 UNC thread, whereas the new threaded rod is 10mm X 1.5, so I have to change the nut on the bottom of the shaft. I never asked if this was in stock at Grizzly. I think (hope?) theres enough meat on the origional nut that I can drill it out and retap it to 10x1.5 (try finding a metric square nut at the local hardware store!)

[/quote]
    Mike I'd have thought you'd be too busy to mess with bandsaw parts this time of year. I'll be watching Sunday. Which team do you work for? Haven't been to a 500 since 78 but I'll be home for the Brickyard in August. No offense[B)] Pat
    [/quote]

Actually the last couple of years I've been working on the little cars that race before the Indycars - less glory than the big boys but it's a little more relaxed, less time away from home, and kinda nice to work with 3 or 4 guys instead of 30. We do our race at Indy on Friday (Carb day) and then I get the weekend off. I intend to watch the 500 from my sofa with a cold beer in my hand!
    Mike

Comment

• MBG
      • Apr 2003
      • Chicago, Illinois.
      • Craftsman 21829

Pat - This is a great post!

I have a couple of questions:

1) Since Pat measured the center to center dimension of the support plates (4-5/16") doesn't it look like all we really need to order from Grizzly are items - 131 FixedLump (used to be 131a/131b - see new Grizzly parts list it has been revised), 133 LeverRod, and 141 FixedBase? The rest look like they can easily be shop made or store bought.

2) To set the tension for a different band do you simply turn the hand crank while in the tensioned position (what I'm looking for is it necessary to readjust the fixed lump on the tensioning shaft?)?

Mike

Comment

• tfischer
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2003
        • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
        • BT3100

OK, my parts (minus the backordered bushing) came today. I didn't get the 131a/131b parts with the threaded rod.

Should I a) try to get these through Grizzly or b) try to make something myself?

I'd rather do b), but I don't have access to a metal shop, nor do I have access to advanced metalworking tools. So if I can't cobble someting together with stock hardware parts, or common bar stock, etc, then I'm probably in trouble.

Help!

Thanks,
        -Tim

Comment

• MBG
          • Apr 2003
          • Chicago, Illinois.
          • Craftsman 21829

Tim,

See my post above yours - Grizzly has now modified their G0555 parts list. The 131a & 131b are now one piece - 131 Fixed Lump P/N P0555131.

Comment

• tfischer
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2003
            • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
            • BT3100

quote:Originally posted by MBG

Tim,

See my post above yours - Grizzly has now modified their G0555 parts list. The 131a & 131b are now one piece - 131 Fixed Lump P/N P0555131.
            I just emailed you this same question, but: so you think it's best just to reorder this? Funny they changed things right in the middle of our little thread [B)]

If this is the best way, I guess I'm just out a little shipping fee... I'm not too concerned about the extra time as I just would like this feature to work eventually...

Thanks much!

-Tim

Comment

• Popeye
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2003
              • Woodbine, Ga
              • Grizzly 1023SL

quote:Originally posted by MBG

Pat - This is a great post!

I have a couple of questions:

1) Since Pat measured the center to center dimension of the support plates (4-5/16") doesn't it look like all we really need to order from Grizzly are items - 131 FixedLump (used to be 131a/131b - see new Grizzly parts list it has been revised), 133 LeverRod, and 141 FixedBase? The rest look like they can easily be shop made or store bought.

2) To set the tension for a different band do you simply turn the hand crank while in the tensioned position (what I'm looking for is it necessary to readjust the fixed lump on the tensioning shaft?)?

Mike
              Mike, 1. I suppose you could make nearly all of it. I'm guessing that Grizzly told you the new parts number scoop. Good deal.
              You need the support plates, they have a raised section in the center that actually is the contact point with the spacers on the tensioning rod. You also need piece 137 (bracket).
              2. yes Pat
              Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• jarhead
                • May 2004
                • Boynton Beach, FL.

Has anyone else done this mod on their HF BS? I had to tension and detension a 1/2" blade a few times this weekend using HF's stock tensioning rod and had to curse a few times; why couldn't they make the rod longer?
                I decided to place an order for the Grizzly parts mentioned earlier in the thread. After speaking with the tech, these are the updated parts numbers:

Item Part Number Quantity Description
                33 P0555033A 1 Blade Adj. Screw Assy 7"
                133 P0555133 1 Lever Rod
                135 P0555135 1 Bushing
                137 P0555137 1 Bracket
                140 P0555140 2 Support Plate
                141 P0555141 1 Fixed Base

Note: Item 33 includes these 4 parts even though they are listed separatelly on their web site's parts list. I guess that's why they changed the description to Blade adj. screw assembly. Originally, the part# was P0555033

130A PSS05M 1 Setscrew M5-.8x10
                130B PSS07M 1 Setscrew M5-.8x5
                131A P0555131A 1 Fixed Spacer A
                131B P0555131B 1 Fixed Spacer B

I decided to pick up the bolts and nuts at BORG instead of paying an arm and a leg for them at Grizzly.

Comment

• Bollox
                  Established Member
                  • Nov 2003
                  • Indianapolis, IN, USA.

You are going to love this mod when its done.
                  Mike

Comment

• jonmulzer
                    • Dec 2007
                    • Indianapolis, IN

Reviving an old thread. Is the last parts list 2-3 posts above me the correct one? It seems there was some confusion and I just want to make sure I get the correct parts the first time if at all possible.
                    "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• tommyt654
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2008

Has anyone checked the original link lately, all I get is some hot lookin cheick and a bunch of cars stuff

Comment

• dbhost
                        Slow and steady
                        • Apr 2008
                        • League City, Texas
                        • Ryobi BT3100

AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

Can anyone point to a working URL for the original write up on this? The one with the pics that show HOW to do this?
                        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2006
                          • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                          • BT3100

i cant seem to get the link to work either.

Comment

• pbui3057
                            Established Member
                            • Jul 2008
                            • Mather, CA
                            • BT3000

I think I might have found it

I just picked up my own HF bandsaw and mortiser for $135 off of CL. Pretty good deal I think.

Comment

• dbhost
                              Slow and steady
                              • Apr 2008
                              • League City, Texas
                              • Ryobi BT3100

A federal deficit full of thank yous! I am ready to pull the trigger on this mod this weekend, I would be very unhappy with not having the instructions...
                              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• jarhead
                                • May 2004
                                • Boynton Beach, FL.

I made this mod a couple of years ago when I still had my HF BS. If you have problems with the part numbers, PM me and I can always call Grizzly and ask them to look up my order.

Comment

Working...