• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

New HF store didn't want to honor their 20% coupons

I went to the new HF store today in the south Memphis area (Southaven MS) to pick up a VS buffer polisher seen here. On the web site and in the store they are listed as on sale for $39.99. Well, I presented the normal 20% off coupon for any one item and the lady at the register turned it down because she said that the register would not allow the 20% coupon on the item. I argued pleasantly with the lady and told here that other stores have been doing this for years. She called the manager.

The manager said that the 20% coupon has exclusion items, - and I replied that I know but this item was not on that exclusion list. Then they said that the 20% coupon does not apply to anything that is on sale. I replied that was not true because I have purcased most of my HF items that are on sale from stores in Springfield MO, Dallas TX, Jackson MS, Memphis Summer Ave (and others) with 20% coupon. I mentioned that even online, I have applied the 20% coupons on normal sale items. The manager said that for me, he would over ride the register and let it apply in this case.

I think someone in management has just missed some very basic training.

If I knew where to contact HF headquarters, I would certainly report this!
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • phrog
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2005
    • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

The only times I have been turned down was an item on the clearance shelf and an item that was on a special super-dooper sale. Otherwise, they have always taken my coupons for sale items.

PS Went to school in Memphis and have traveled down Summer Avenue many times (but that was a few decades before Harbor Freight existed).

I found some info in the "Contact Our Office" (right column near bottom) on their website at this link:
    Last edited by phrog; 09-16-2012, 08:51 PM.
    Richard

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by phrog
      The only times I have been turned down was an item on the clearance shelf and an item that was on a special super-dooper sale. Otherwise, they have always taken my coupons for sale items.

PS Went to school in Memphis and have traveled down Summer Avenue many times (but that was a few decades before Harbor Freight existed).

I found some info in the "Contact Our Office" (right column near bottom) on their website at this link:
      http://www.harborfreight.com/about-us

Thanks, I will contact them. If one person had declined it, I would count that up to inexperience, but for a manager to back a sales clerk at the register, and the register would not allow the 20% coupon on a normal "sale" item, - that is some major un-training and even programming problems.

I will have the store number, item number and details when I talk with them. I sure hate to go through this everytime I go in there!
      Hank Lee

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Without the discounts, HF wouldn't sell many items to me....I don't exactly go there for their premium quality.
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

You might try calling their corporate customer service: (800) 444–3353, or try their "feedback".

Comment

• Daryl
            • May 2004

On the coupon it says it can't be used with other discounts, which I think a sale item is. My local store sometimes takes them and sometimes not.
            Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Daryl
              On the coupon it says it can't be used with other discounts, which I think a sale item is. My local store sometimes takes them and sometimes not.
              that is the fine print on the coupons... maybe it's at manager's discretion - as he did for you.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• tommyt654
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2008

Ours here won't allow its use with any sale items either, thats what the fine print says as well. Your other store mgrs were only lookin to increase the bottom line, maybe thats why theres a new store

Comment

• Cochese
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2010

Originally posted by tommyt654
                  Ours here won't allow its use with any sale items either,
                  That's a change in policy then. As long as it wasn't two coupons, it could be used.

Not much point in going anymore if the discounts don't stack.
                  I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• sweensdv
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • WI
                    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Usually the only time you can't use a 20% off coupon, with the exception of normally excluded items, is when the item is already featured on one of their monthly "Super Coupon" sale items. I've also never had them refuse to honor a 20% off coupon for a normal "sale price" item either.

Comment

• BigguyZ
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2006
                      • Minneapolis, MN
                      • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I agree that this has never been an issue getting 20% off of sale items at HF. BUT- I also agree that "double dipping" isn't allowed on their fine print, and per the letter of their policy the manager was communicating the correct message.

I'd just not go to that HF anymore.

Comment

• cwsmith
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2005
                        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                        • BT3100-1

Here's what it says on the current "20% Coupon" from the HF website (excuse any typo that I might have made):

Save 20% on any one item purchased at our store. Cannot be used with other discount, coupon, gift cards, Inside Track Club membership, extended service plans or on any of the following: compressors, generators, tool storage or carts, welders, floor jacks, Campbell Hausfeld products, open box items, in-store event or parking lot sale items. Not valid on prior purchases after 30 days from original purchase date with original receipt. Non-transferable. Original coupon must be presented. Limit one coupon per customer per day.

By my interpretation is that does NOT say anything about general "sales" and I very rarely buy anything that isn't on sale and I most always use a 20% coupon. My local (Vestal, NY) HF is relatively new (2 yrs max), but I've never been challenged.

An "in-store event" or "other discount" is NOT a general sale.

You cannot use the 20% with another coupon of course; and, you of course cannot use them with the products mentioned. I often find myself weighing whether I get the best buy in using the coupon from the monthly mailed flyer, or whether there is a general sale of an item with which my 20% coupon might present a better buy.

I hope this helps,

CWS
                        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• JR
                          The Full Monte
                          • Feb 2004
                          • Eugene, OR
                          • BT3000

Originally posted by leehljp
                          If I knew where to contact HF headquarters, I would certainly report this!
                          They're located about five miles from me. For a price, I could be persuaded to offer them some "encouragement" on the 20% policy!

JR
                          JR

Comment

• leehljp
                            Just me
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Tunica, MS
                            • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by CocheseUGA
                            That's a change in policy then. As long as it wasn't two coupons, it could be used.

Not much point in going anymore if the discounts don't stack.
                            This is the way that I read it.

This item IS on sale on the web site and the same price at the store. But it is not a special "coupon" sale. I have never had a problem in a dozen HF stores with presenting the 20% coupon with a normal sale priced item. I never tried to present a coupon with the exclusion items nor as a double coupon.

For everyone: should the 20% coupon apply to the above, in your opinion?
                            Hank Lee

Comment

• cwsmith
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2005
                              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                              • BT3100-1

It should absolutely NOT apply. I just bought two small items (one for $4 and one for $10... both were on sale. My wife bought one and I bought the other and we both used a 20% coupon AND a coupon for a free item. No challenges.

My general "memory" rule is "you can't use a coupon with a coupon" and you can't buy something on the "expensive side of things". Other that that, you're pretty much good to go.... except for perhaps having to "educate" one of the employee's.

CWS
                              Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...