X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JSUPreston
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Montgomery, AL.
    • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Kidney Stones suck

Passed my first one a little over a year ago. I think I told y'all that story...including the details of SWMBO laughing in the corner and saying stuff about how I know now how childbirth feels.

Anyway, I started passing another one a couple of weeks ago. It got stuck. Been taking prescription meds to try to help it pass, but nothing worked. My urologist wanted to see if it would pass naturally since my "flow" and blood work was normal. We changed that plan when it looked like it might pass during my D.C. vacation with the kids. The last thing I want is to be 1,000 miles from home and in the hospital, ruining the first full family vacation in over 10 years.

Yesterday, he attempted a basket removal. Wound up having to bust it up (I assume with a laser...I was asleep the whole time). I've been passing what feels like portland cement since late yesterday morning, and I have a stent that I get to remove tomorrow morning. I'll spare you the details.

Yesterday afternoon, I felt like I had received a roundhouse kick to the kidney from Chuck Norris. Today, it's a little better. I think either Vin Diesel or Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson have been beating on it. Maybe tomorrow, it'll feel more like a normal human has punched me.

I was told that this one was 3mm. I've heard of people passing some 6 to 7mm in size. The one last year that we never found was supposedly about the size of a grain of sand. As bad as that one hurt, I don't see how anyone could pass one of the big ones and live.
    "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Sorry to hear that; hopefully you get thru this quick enough.

I had to help a friend to the doctor last year for sudden and intense kidney stone pain. I have never seen a grown man cry as much as he did that day; I think it has effected our friendship somewhat - he's so embarrassed about it that we get together much less nowadays.

It made me determined to avoid this if I could; my water intake is now much more than before. Did the doc advise you on diet changes?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle

Comment

• JSUPreston
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • Montgomery, AL.
      • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

I've been advised to lose some weight and up the water intake, but when I passed the first one (left kidney), they told me about one in my right kidney, which is still there. This one was also from the left kidney, so it must have developed after I passed the first one.

From what I've seen, and any docs can correct me if I'm wrong, after developing a stone, there is an 80% chance of re-occurrence within 10 years.

I'm sure genetics come into play with this as well. Unfortunately for me, other than knowing my mother had high blood pressure and died of an aneurysm, I don't know a lot of my family's health history. Sure does make it hard to answer those new patient forms.

Here's my quick blurb about last year:
      This forum is for any topic that you would normally talk about at the office "around the coffee pot". Jokes, tall tales, and true stories are welcome as long as they are clean and in good taste. I only ask that you steer away from topics on religion or politics. Go ahead and pull up a chair and pour yourself a cup of coffee and enjoy the conversation.
      Last edited by JSUPreston; 07-10-2014, 12:22 PM.
      "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

I'm very sorry to hear that you are having to go through that pain and discomfort. I remember both my father and father-in-law suffering from kidney stones, and by poor Dad being in extreme pain a couple of times.

I'm going to be 70 in a couple of weeks and, as yet, haven't had to go through that. I just figured some day that was going to happen, since that was my father's history.

Back in the 50's and 60's there was a headache relief called "Empirin Compound" which both my father and father-in-law took avidly. Supposedly, that was a contributing factory in both their cases (or so it was the story at the time). Funny though, but today I can hardly find any information about that over-the-counter drug, other than it was mostly just aspirin. Back then it was supposed to be something a bit different and in both cases that I mention, it was the only thing that helped their headaches and pains.

I would hope that it wasn't just aspirin, as I take anywhere from two to six of those every single day!

In any case, I'm very sorry that you are going through this pain.

Hope you are better soon,

CWS
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• JeffW
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2003
          • San Antonio, Texas, USA.
          • BT3100

I know how you feel. Gonna have surgery in a couple of weeks to remove 2 stones that are huge.
          Measure twice, cut once, screw it up, start over

Comment

• Black wallnut
            cycling to health
            • Jan 2003
            • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
            • BT3k 1999

Sorry to read of your pain. I can only imagine, never had those but had gallstones and they were very painful.
            Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
              • Aug 2007
              • Minneapolis, MN
              • BT-3000, 21829

I'm 68 years old and had four kidney stone attacks starting about 20 years ago at about 2 year intervals. They were never able to determine a cause.

My wife's older cousin told me he had had over 20 episodes and they stopped when started taking hydrochlorothiazide pills ten years ago.

I had started on HCT pills for minor blood pressure about that time and have been pain-free since. YMMV! The HCT pills are cheap... about $9/90 days.
              You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
              of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

Occupational hazard for mailmen, especially in the southern climates. I'm out in the weather an average of 6 hours a day. Been lucky so far but I go through about a half gallon of water in the cooler months when I am on the street. During the summer months when the temps are around 100 or above I will drink over a gallon of water in that 6 hours.
                Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                Fools because they have to say something.
                Plato

Comment

• JSUPreston
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Montgomery, AL.

Well, woke up really early this morning, and SWMBO and I decided to go ahead and pull the stent. Figured I would get it over with, and get some decent sleep before work.

Without going into a lot of detail, it sorta reminded me of the clown car at the circus. I didn't know there was that much to pull. Didn't hurt too bad, but the visual made me a little sick to my stomach. After a few minutes in the bed, I was able to roll over on my side and feel relatively comfortable for the first time in a few days.

About 30-40 minutes later, I thought I was going to die. Apparently the urologist didn't give me all the info I needed. My kidney and bladder started having spasms just like passing a stone. On a scale of 1-10, the pain was a 9 or 10. I was ready to go to the ER for shots, and I hate needles.

SWMBO did some quick reading on a site or two, and found out I should have taken at least an NSAID before pulling the stent. She gave me a full round of my pain medicines, and after about an hour, I was able to go back to sleep. I'm still a little loopy from all the pain meds, and the wife had to drive me to work this morning. Normally, I would have called in sick, but since we're going on vacation soon and are short handed at the office, I felt I needed to come in.

Sad thing about all this...today is Lisa's b'day, and she's having to take care of me. Hopefully we'll be able to put this episode behind us soon, and that nothing happens during the vacation.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2003
                    • Maryland
                    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by JSUPreston
                    Without going into a lot of detail, it sorta reminded me of the clown car at the circus. I didn't know there was that much to pull. Didn't hurt too bad, but the visual made me a little sick to my stomach. After a few minutes in the bed, I was able to roll over on my side and feel relatively comfortable for the first time in a few days.
                    Dude, I am so sorry you are going through this especially right before your vacation. I felt queasy reading this.

I first learned of kidney stones in sex ed in HS. They segregated the classes boys and girls. Our teacher went into some detail about the kidney stone he had just passed and what he saw when they pulled the catheter.

My Dad developed a stone on a business to NC. Luckily my Mom came along because she drove him home back up in PA. 95 wasn't very nice to Dad and my Mom's driving didn't help.

Hopefully this thing passes soon.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

According to this article its going to get worse as more people dehydrate due to increasing temperatures.
                      Rising temperatures may contribute to the growing prevalence of a problem that already sends thousands to the ER each year
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jont
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Jan 2010

BTDT 3x in the last 20 years, first two passed after a few hours but the last one was 7mm which got lodged and required a roto-rooter surgery to remove, with a stent for a few days after.
                        That is a surgery you do NOT want. They do unthinkable things to you in areas that are usually kept to yourself. Pretty sure one nurse and I are now legally married in at least three of the red states.
                        Jon

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

for those of you who don't think and breathe metric, 7mm is a little more than a quarter inch (.275"), about the size of a large green pea.
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA
                          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Daryl
                            • May 2004

At first you think you will die from the pain, then the cold realization sets in that you have to live thru it. Had the surgery a couple times, and the last stone I passed on my own, about the size of a grain of rice. Not much dignity left for a man after the surgery.
                            Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• atgcpaul
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2003
                              • Maryland
                              • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by jont

BTDT 3x in the last 20 years, first two passed after a few hours but the last one was 7mm which got lodged and required a roto-rooter surgery to remove, with a stent for a few days after.
                              That is a surgery you do NOT want. They do unthinkable things to you in areas that are usually kept to yourself. Pretty sure one nurse and I are now legally married in at least three of the red states.
                              Jon
                              Originally posted by LCHIEN
                              for those of you who don't think and breathe metric, 7mm is a little more than a quarter inch (.275"), about the size of a large green pea.
                              LMAO but doing it while curled up in the fetal position.

Comment

Working...