• Show
Clear All
  • Richard in Smithville
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • On the TARDIS
    • BT 3100

Scanning Code Of Conduct

I was wondering if businesses to my south have a scanning code of conduct? For those who are not familiar with the term, if an item scans more for what the price is listed at, the store will give you a refund up to a set amount. This means that you could theoretically get the item for free.

Example: A few months back I had this great coupon that said if I buy a 25lb bag of a certain dog food, I could get another 25lb bag free. At the cash, they scanned the bag at about $1.50 more than the listed price. I brought it to their attention and asked about their scanning code of conduct. I ended up getting both bags for free!.

Most places won't advertise that they do this so if I get over charged, I ask about it. Saved a lot of money that way.
    From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

"listed price" = price marked on the shelf tags?
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

I've only seen it posted in grocery stores.

When we lived in California I bought sausages that rang up too high by a buck. Not only did I get the sausages for free but they also paid me the difference--an extra $1. Too bad it didn't happen with my laptop.

When I bought my Earlex sprayer at Woodcraft, it rang up higher than what was posted on the shelf. I only got the posted price but did appreciate I didn't have to raise a stink about it.

I don't know if I'm crazy but I think the prices at HD consistently ring up incorrectly. It's only a few cents but by the time I get to the register I don't feel like walking all the way back. There was one time I bought paint at HD and the price that rang up was higher by a few dollars over the posted price. I informed the cashier who got a manager. They hemmed and hawed and luckily I snapped a picture of the price and code because they tried to rip off the sticker from the shelf and tell me I was looking at the wrong spot--I wasn't.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

The one question I have frequently asked is, if it isn't marked, is it free? (have one store that is horrible about that.

Had one store that was going out of business, and they were advertising x% off the listed price. Where most stuff was up priced to full retail price (normal OOB sale tactics), an item we were looking for, was clearance priced. The clerk started to try to peel that sticker off in front of us and we weren't having it.

But remember, most places, reserve the right to refuse sale.
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

the tactic I hate is stores having a Going out of busniess sale, they advertis xx% off and put everything at full retail, Not only that but they bring in old and surplus stuff from other stores, not just the same chain and try to pawn it off as OOB sales items. You used to frequent the store and now you're seeing stuff you never saw before.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• woodturner
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2008
            • Western Pennsylvania
            • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by atgcpaul
            When we lived in California I bought sausages that rang up too high by a buck. Not only did I get the sausages for free but they also paid me the difference--an extra $1. Too bad it didn't happen with my laptop.
            IIRC, California has a state law that requires that. In most states, though, it is store policy rather than a law.

I don't know if I'm crazy but I think the prices at HD consistently ring up incorrectly. It's only a few cents but by the time I get to the register I don't feel like walking all the way back. There was one time I bought paint at HD and the price that rang up was higher by a few dollars over the posted price. I informed the cashier who got a manager. They hemmed and hawed and luckily I snapped a picture of the price and code because they tried to rip off the sticker from the shelf and tell me I was looking at the wrong spot--I wasn't.
            Wow, that seems pretty extreme. Maybe it is that particular store - the only time I've had things ring up at a different price at my local HDs is when a clearance item was not marked. At times I have asked about the lower price (to make sure it was not an error), but I haven't really pushed them to charge me the higher price ;-)
            --------------------------------------------------
            Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• JSUPreston
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • Montgomery, AL.
              • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Originally posted by woodturner
              Wow, that seems pretty extreme. Maybe it is that particular store - the only time I've had things ring up at a different price at my local HDs is when a clearance item was not marked. At times I have asked about the lower price (to make sure it was not an error), but I haven't really pushed them to charge me the higher price ;-)
              I had the same thing happen to me at the HD close to my house a while back. Cashier and a floor manager argued with me about the price as well, and made me wait a long time to even tell me that. I told them (and half the store) that I didn't appreciate how they were doing business, and I left everything at checkout and walked out.

I emailed corporate about it, and the store manager tried to contact me. When stuff like that happens, I don't want to talk about it, and my wife had to talk to the manager for me. Took me about a year before I would go back into that particular location.

To me, it wasn't about the money, it was the fact that they wouldn't honor the price after dragging out the whole process for 10-15 minutes. BTW: I had a gut feeling something was going to happen with the item I wanted, so I had taken a picture of the tag when I put it in my buggy. Their story--pricing mistake that they couldn't honor.
              "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• cwsmith
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2005
                • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                • BT3100-1

Seems like a strange issue to me. I just can't imagine ever going to the checkout and paying a higher price than what is listed; but of course, my wife and I remain very aware of what the posted prices are and know almost immediately when the register rings up something different.

It goes to the point where "that's NOT right" will actually end up with the manager being called and a walk-back price check being done.

However, I'm not aware of a "scanning code" per say, where such errors might be paid back with getting the item either further discounted or free.

Walmart makes the occasional mistake, usually with poor shelf marking, but I've never encountered any problems with Harbour Freight.

We have a number of Weiss grocery stores in our area and we refuse to shop there anymore. All the stores used to be locally-owned "Giant", but apparently the descendants of the original family couldn't be bothered and sold out to the Weiss chain a few years ago. Almost immediately they fired many of the long-time managers and workers and then set about to "scam" the customers. Especially in those stores located in elderly or minority populated locations.... We think it's quite disgraceful!

You check out and almost on every occasion we found the register significantly "cheating" us. And of course the check-out person then announces that "sorry, but it's NOT my fault... you'll have to go to the service desk".... where there is usual a number of other people waiting in line.

It's best to just avoid such places if one finds such differences to be habitual.

CWS
                Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• JoeyGee
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2005
                  • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                  • BT3100-1

Back in my retail days (15+ years ago) I spent a weekend in a Toys R Us marking EVERYTHING with a price tag, since Michigan had just passed such a law. IIRC, if it scanned differently, you were entitled to something--don't remember the details, but I remember 10% being in there somewhere.
                  Joe

Comment

• tfischer
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2003
                    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                    • BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                    the tactic I hate is stores having a Going out of busniess sale, they advertis xx% off and put everything at full retail, Not only that but they bring in old and surplus stuff from other stores, not just the same chain and try to pawn it off as OOB sales items. You used to frequent the store and now you're seeing stuff you never saw before.
                    There's one or two companies that manage most going out of business sales for national chain stores. Basically they offer the store/bankruptcy court a fixed price for all the assets in advance. At that point, all the store employees work for the liquidator, not the store. They have a very set strategy of how they do the sell-off. Sometimes they actually raise prices beyond what the store sold things for. For example, a furniture store around here went out of business... they actually cut the prices off of the bottom of each tag, affixed new, higher prices, and then marked them "20 % off".

Comment

• tfischer
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2003
                      • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                      • BT3100

Menards has signs, I think they're on every shopping cart even, that the scanned price is the real price... that they provide scanners around the store that you can verify prices with, but they don't make any adjustments based on the shelf tags. That has to be the strictest policy I've ever heard of.

Comment

• JimD
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2003
                        • Lexington, SC.

Publix, a grocery store in the area, gives you the item free if it rings up wrong. They do it quickly too. Their customer service is good in general but I don't like the fact that they want to take your stuff to the car. Ladies like it, I guess, but I don't need or want the help. I think the baggers are eager to do it to get a tip. The part I don't like is if you are the next person and the person ahead of you lets them take their stuff to their car, you get to bag your own. Or wait for the cashier to do it. I don't need help with loading it in the car but I do like to have my stuff bagged.

But overall Publix has good customer service.

It isn't the same thing but I've also noticed Chick-Fil-A has really nice customer service. They say "my pleasure" when you ask for something, for instance. Zaxby's seems to be stepping it up too. Among airlines, Delta seems much better than USAirways. No airline I use is good, however, it's just a question of how bad they are. USAirways is pretty bad.

Comment

• thiggy
                          Established Member
                          • Sep 2003
                          • Alabama.
                          • Craftsman Contractor

Publix policy is "no tipping", even when bags carried to the car.
                          SOW YOUR WILD OATS ON SATURDAY NIGHT - - - THEN ON SUNDAY PRAY FOR CROP FAILURE!

Comment

Working...