• Show
Clear All
  • gychang
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Sacramento, California
    • none

mosquito problem inside

Is there a way to rid of mosquito inside? Have window screen etc but getting bit, seems insecticide or net over the bed seem impractical... any suggestions. ?
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

I recommend you start by tracking down the source of the mosquitos and resolve there. Is there a sink or tub in your home not in regular use, or other standing water inside? I've seen mosquitos breed in trap water; if so, I recommend a little bleach in the drain, let sit a little before flushing. If there is a source immediately outside the house (again, likely to be in standing water), locate and resolve. For indoor abatement, you might try a product like this insect strip, or google "mosquito trap" and see the list of homemade traps, including dish soap.
    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Bill in Buena Park
      I recommend you start by tracking down the source of the mosquitos and resolve there. Is there a sink or tub in your home not in regular use, or other standing water inside? I've seen mosquitos breed in trap water; if so, I recommend a little bleach in the drain, let sit a little before flushing. If there is a source immediately outside the house (again, likely to be in standing water), locate and resolve. For indoor abatement, you might try a product like this insect strip, or google "mosquito trap" and see the list of homemade traps, including dish soap.
      I agree with Bill, first find the site in your house where mosquitos breed.
      in my house i found them in an relatively unused toilet...

Even P-traps in sinks can be a place. Stagnant water, it doesn't take much area. They'll find it. I often find mosquitos around the kitchen sink. I think they are attracted to the water in the P-trap.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

I was going to sugggest the blood sucking mother in law.
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

Also check your basement (if you have one) and any drains that may be there. I've found that they will harvest in sump wells, drain cleanouts, and any other standing water source.

I'm always after my wife to make sure she doesn't leave water in the laundry tubs or anywhere else.

Also check outside on the property, for anything that may hold water, including any eaves that may be plugged with leaves and debri.

I hope this helps,

CWS
          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• TB Roye
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Sacramento, CA, USA.
            • BT3100

We have to really be careful here in Sacramento, West Nile Virus is a killer. Check birdbaths, flower pots and the plates under them any place where there might be standing water anther is Koi/fish ponds, You can get mosquito fish from the local Vector district for free, the could be coming from a neighbor's property also. Have your area been sprayed yet? found a dead crow in my yard a month, yep West Nile we live by the nature area by the Big Treatment plant and Laguna creek where the is some very stagnate water becuase of no rain. Those little sucker can get in through the smallest opening and will come when you open a door. Good luck We also have to be carful of Heart Worm Disease in Dogs. It is carried by Mosquito's

Tom

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

I understand that mosquitoes do not have to have standing water, they can hatch out and thrive in moisture in flower pots and flower beds. As long as it does not dry out completely they can live. I see swarms in my flower beds that have no standing water, just a moist pinestraw mulch. Must be true! I've also had them come into the house on my clothes, I guess I was mobile lunch.

Comment

Working...