• Show
Clear All
  • cork58
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Wasilla, AK, USA.
    • BT3000

New design

I've been playing around with this idea and finally think I got it right. Any comments or suggestions welcome

Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.
  • Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

Originally posted by I saw that!
    I never got into turning, but from a layman's point of view that's beautiful.
    I think that is true from any point of view. Very nice. I can't imagine all the prep time before the actual turning took place.
    Lee

Comment

• BadeMillsap
      • Dec 2005
      • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
      • Grizzly G1023SL

Never tried turning but that looks really nice! I have no idea how one does the "glue up???" to accomplish that .... ???

It's beyond my ken for sure!
      "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
      Bade Millsap
      Bulverde, Texas
      => Bade's Personal Web Log
      => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

That's pretty cool. Reminds me of some kind of 70's era clothing designs which now that I re-read it seems like an oxymoron.

Does the yellow dot have to be in the middle? IMO, that's the only thing I'd take out.

Respectfully submitted
        Paul

Comment

• cork58
          Established Member
          • Jan 2006
          • Wasilla, AK, USA.
          • BT3000

Originally posted by atgcpaul
          That's pretty cool. Reminds me of some kind of 70's era clothing designs which now that I re-read it seems like an oxymoron.

Does the yellow dot have to be in the middle? IMO, that's the only thing I'd take out.

Respectfully submitted
          Paul
          Yes that is where the blank is mounted on the lathe
          Cork,

Comment

• radhak
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2006
            • Miramar, FL
            • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Wow!

Just. Wow!

That is beautiful!

And that glue-up must have been some work of design and art! And Persistence, I guess?

Great Work!
            It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
            - Aristotle

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

Beautiful! Great choice in contrasting woods and great spacing/design. It sure draws eye contact. Eye Candy!

My guess for woods:
              Walnut, padauk, maple, holly or aspen for the very white, Osage Orange/bodoc for yellow.

My guess for the white included aspen because I am not sure if your have holly in AK. Maybe you do. I am suspect of my answer for the yellow, again because of its availability in AK.

How far off am I?
              Last edited by leehljp; 03-01-2015, 06:46 PM.
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• cork58
                Established Member
                • Jan 2006
                • Wasilla, AK, USA.
                • BT3000

Originally posted by BadeMillsap
                Never tried turning but that looks really nice! I have no idea how one does the "glue up???" to accomplish that .... ???

It's beyond my ken for sure!
                It actually quite easy peasey.

Glue up 1/2" thick, cut in the center, rotate 90 deg and re-glue, plane to 7/8". Mount on the ringmaster lathe.

Sounds easy but there is actually allot of work involved but that is the gist of it.
                Cork,

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

The bowl makes it look like another color, but it must be the shadows and the position of the wood reflecting? the color. I made a hutch in which the vertical wood and the horizontal pieces look totally different colors/shades, although they are from the same wood. But it is the direction of the grains against the light that makes it appear that way.

Your bowl does look like there is a difference in the light wood - a contrast as much as holly and maple - to my eyes.
                  Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• cork58
                    Established Member
                    • Jan 2006
                    • Wasilla, AK, USA.
                    • BT3000

Originally posted by leehljp
                    The bowl makes it look like another color, but it must be the shadows and the position of the wood reflecting? the color. I made a hutch in which the vertical wood and the horizontal pieces look totally different colors/shades, although they are from the same wood. But it is the direction of the grains against the light that makes it appear that way.

Your bowl does look like there is a difference in the light wood - a contrast as much as holly and maple - to my eyes.
                    Leehlip,

The idea of turning the wood 90% gives me both closed and open grain which gives the white wood different colors without changing the darker colors. You have a very good eye on that! Most people wouldn't have caught that, but that was in my plan. You are right about it being the same piece of maple. Just the difference between open and closed grain. Not the camera angle, it really is different colors. Pretty amazing how the color changes huh.

Thanks for your observation. I hope I explained it correctly. It is really fun to see how open and closed grain will react!
                    Cork,

Comment

• gerti
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2003
                      • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                      • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Wow, that is something! Definitely the post I studied the longest in the recent history. Run, nice concept an great execution.

Comment

• lrr
                        Established Member
                        • Apr 2006
                        • Fort Collins, Colorado
                        • Ryobi BT-3100

Cork, very nice. I've yet to turn a bowl, but started turning about 5 years ago. Started on pens, then branched out to wine stoppers, pizza cutters, peppermills, tool handles -- basically I'm hooked on spindles. And I tend to do a lot of segmented spindles, just to play with colors and patterns.

My goal is to do some bowls this year. I jsut bought my first bowl gouge. (Unhandled of course, I had to do my own tool handle!)
                        Lee

Comment

Working...