• Show
Clear All
  • bmyers
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2003
    • Fishkill, NY
    • bt 3100

Noise Suppression Headphones

I see another thread here today about adding bluetooth to your hearing protection device, how fortuitous. I was just looking for Noise Suppression Headphones so I came here seeking advice. I'm in the market for something decent and wondered what you folks are using / researched.

Ideal Candidate would have:
    Active noise suppression
    MP3 player with SD card capable (not likely I think though)
    Bluetooth
    Rugged
    AM/FM w/presets
    Mic capable
    Deep muff for comfort
    would mow my lawn and split my firewood for me (not likely either)

Thoughts, Opinions, Sage Advice, Reviews, Experiences are all welcome.

Stanley offers these

Looks the same as these only a little cheaper

HD offers these

Thanks,
    Bill
    "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"
  • mineengineer
    Established Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
    • BT3000 and BT3100 Frankensaw

I am an engineer that does noise abatement/treatment hearing protection full time as my day job. Your best bang for the buck is just a simple pair of muffs with the highest NRR value you can find, if you want more protection then use earplugs and muffs together(dual hearing protection). The electronics in the newer muffs isn't up to snuff yet as far as protections goes, but you might like them even if they are not protecting you as good as plain jane muffs.
    Link

Comment

• jussi
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007

I use LG tone Bluetooth headset under a set of earmuffs and it works great for me. Another alternative I've heard of for those that don't like to use earbuds is to get a set of earmuffs that has Bluetooth integrated. Yet another alternative for those that think the Bluetooth hardware in the earmuffs is too expensive or heavy is to get ear muffs with a headphone jack and plug in a wireless Bluetooth adapter. Marc at the woodwhisperer uses that setup and has made a video of it along with other possible choices.
      Last edited by jussi; 06-30-2015, 02:22 PM.
      I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

I use a set of ear muffs / digital am-fm radio set that I purchased in the Home Depot after 2003 Christmas clearance sale. Around $25. I'm tickled pink with them, I use them primarily when mowing my yard, 2 1/2 hours of bone jarring dust eating. The 25 hp Kohler creates quite a fuss that regular ear plugs make the job more pleasant and the radio muffs seem to do equally well. They don't have all the features above requested but I'm good with them.
        capncarl

Comment

• gerti
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2003
          • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
          • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Just to clear something up: you mention "active noise suppression".

If you mean "Active Noise Cancellation", that only works for fairly constant background noises, like in a plane or train. It can't handle sudden or irregular noises, and doesn't cover the entire frequency spectrum. As hearing protection they are utterly useless.

"Electronic earmuffs" rely on passive dampening like regular earmuffs (hence the all important NRR number). They use a microphone outside and speakers inside to let you hear conversation etc, but the electronics cut out when there is any sudden noise.The electronics do not dampen the noise at all. I use mine (the HD model you linked to above) without batteries as I am not interested in that feature, and rather have them be lighter. The electronics are not involved in amplifying the signal that comes from the AUX connector (at least in those).

Comment

• dsandrews2
            Handtools only
            • Jun 2015
            • Chattanooga, TN
            • Ridgid 2424

It would be nice to have a rugged pair of over-the-ear headphones with active noise cancellation and active noise suppression to use while woodworking. The constant drone of machines such as air cleaners and vaccuums can tire you out.

Comment

• bmyers
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2003
              • Fishkill, NY
              • bt 3100

Exaclty, while still hearing someone talking to you. I figured more people might have experience with them.
              "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• jussi
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007

Here is a set that's on sale from Amazon for $17. Only the greens are on sale.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

Working...