• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Am I the only one that uses a fan in the shop along with an AC unit? My portable AC makes the area between it, and the table saw ice cold, but the rest of the shop gets miserably hot unless I move the air around. I have one of those 20" wire enclosed shop fans that I typically hook over the ceiling hung ladder and set it on low. The air movement I am sure kicks up what dust the collector, ambient filter, and my dusting miss, but I am just going to have to be good with it... I don't handle heat at all well, figures I would end up in Texas!
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

dbhost, you are not the only one using a fan with the ac. I use a 30 inch wire cage enclosed circulator mounted on the wall of my garage that runs all the time the ac is on. The ac is in the woodshop, next to the garage, and is usually 10 degrees lower than the garage. This week I've noted a temp rise from 70 at early morning to 85 at evening with very few door openings. Too much heat energy to handle with a slightly under sized ac. In this latitude you would be wise to oversize your ac to handle the 8 months of brutal summer.
      capncarl

Comment

• wardprobst
        • Jan 2006
        • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
        • Craftsman 22811

We use three fans in our 600 ft shop "dirty" shop which has a window unit AC and one or two in the 525 ft "clean" shop which is climate controlled.
        The best way we found to "clean shop" is to take everything that can be stored high up. First, we also purge old tools, supplies and such that tend to accumulate here. Last, we use outside areas when possible: carport is another 600 sq. ft. that is handy for breaking down sheet goods, etc.
        Hope this helps,
        Dale
        www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Okay guys and gals, I finally got some time that LOML the day job, and the band didn't take up all my time, so I got to the computer and got caught up with some server work for the site, and got out to the shop and got most of the cleanup done. I still have sheets of Hardie panel sucking up space that need to go outside, and some Hardie Trim I need to put up, but aside from that, I am good to go!

I took a least effort possible approach to the PSA disk storage problem. I knew I had to keep them together, keep the grits identified, and keep them protected from dust permeation of the adhesive...

After applying the solution, I am stunned neither I, nor anyone else here thought of, or at least mentioned it...

Freezer bags!
          Click image for larger version

Name:	MY-PSA-Disc_Storage.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	787281

Yeah the dust hood for the miter saw was nasty. I keep forgetting to turn ON the dust collector for that one quick cut...

The bags with the PSA discs have since been moved to the shelf with the rest of my sanding supplies... Problem solved.

Now that the shop is at least mostly clean and organized, and safe around the table saw, I took the time to knock out a quick replacement stair rung for my attic stairs. It would seem my not inconsiderable weight, combined with the weight of my electrical surplus tote (that tote itself probably weights close to 200lbs) was just too much stress for one of the stairs. The new stair does not have the dado the original did, instead I am using a spreader glued and screwed to the bottom, and then the stair itself glued and screwed to the rails.

I managed a nice tight fit, with no gaps, which was a heck of an accomplishment considering the originals that I copied from have gaps and I added the smidge extra to fill that in. I half expected to have to trim down...
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

Now if you can find some zip lock bags with the hole in the top you can hang them up on peg board.

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by capncarl
              Now if you can find some zip lock bags with the hole in the top you can hang them up on peg board.
              I am actually good with them on the shelf. They are handy there, organized, and protected....

I still have a teeny tiny bit of cleanup left to do in the shop, like swap out the passengers seat in the Saturn for the one in the shop, and install the Hardie Panel that is leaned up against the lathe... But I am about 90% done...

Comment

Working...