X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

The (router) table returns

For awhile now I've had my router table top on the right side of my saw. I discarded the old table in an attempt to gain some much needed floor space. Well I'm on the verge of getting to use that space for it again.

I have been impressed with what I've seen of the Incra Positioner in YouTube videos and that is the route I'm going. That requires an offset table. I'm hoping I have enough storage room for all the bits, accessories and the other three routers I have. I'm also going to try to have a spot for a dovetail jig like the Leigh D4R if at all possible.

I had originally decided on the PC7518 and Woodpeckers lift, but that was an easy $600. Others have raved about the Triton for table use, so that was the route I went. I picked up the Kreg predrilled plate on Monday and I got the router on Wednesday. I already love the built-in lift. I went with Kreg for the twist insert as well.

The goal is to use this 24x32 table top as the out feed for the saw and, if at all possible, the base for a MFT-style crosscut surface. I'll be looking at a way to drop a surface down on top that I can use the track saw with as well as perhaps the clamps. This of course means the Incra will have to be able to be removed.

I have a rough render on my computer I will post tomorrow. I will start on the top tomorrow, which should be two layers of MDF. Once I have the hole for the plate done, I will have a much more exact layout of everything.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    I have a little blog about my shop
  • lrr
    Established Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Fort Collins, Colorado
    • Ryobi BT-3100

I'll be interested in your review of the Triton once you get to try it out. I was kind of set on getting a Milwaukee 5620, and read somewhere about how great the Tritons are (and certainly not priced as high as the Milwaukee or Porter-Cable).

I noticed the HF lathe chisels hanging up on the wall. I just bought that set with a 25% off coupon, thinking the tools were much smaller than they actually are. I reground the parting tool to get a really thin one, but not sure I need more skews and gouges. I may have to try my hand at grinding some specialty tools. But considering the set was only about $15 it was worth it just to get another parting tool.
    Lee

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

I still have a router table setup in the side table of the BT3100 but normally use my separate router table. It has a built in lift (based loosely on an old American Woodworker article) and the layout is like Norm's from the new yankee workshop. It has bit storage, in other words, in drawers on either side of the router compartment. The top hinges up for bit replacement which is very handy. The router is supported by the back (3/4 plywood). It also has a drawer under the router compartment. I've built 3 or 4 so this incorporates the things that worked from other tables and other things that seemed like good ideas. I also have a horizontal setup for my PC690 on the back of the router table for those rare instances where a horizontal router works better.

I've never used a router plate. The setup on the BT3100 is 3/4 melamine particle board routed on the bottom for the router with a 3 1/2 inch hole in it. The router table has a top made from a sink cutout with a 3 1/2 inch hole and I made inserts to reduce the opening. I like the smooth top and don't see any significant benefit from a plate. But to each his own... Formica or melamine with a coat of wax on it is plenty slick and holds up well.

Comment

• durango dude
        • Mar 2011
        • a thousand or so feet above insanity
        • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

funny - I've been looking at almost the exact same setup at Highland woodworking.

I'm looking at the less expensive Triton (2HP) - It's on sale, and Highland throws in a belt sander!

My neighbor has one - and I simply can't find anything wrong with it. Guessing that's why they have
        an alliance with Kreg.

You also will want to remember the Kreg Router Table Plate Levellers.

The plate works best with that.

Comment

• jussi
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007

I'm actually building a very similar setup. A couple of years ago I built a torsion box assembly tables which doubles as an assembly table. My plan is to also turn the left half into a router table and right half into a homemade mft. Like you I was impressed by the incra vids of both the fence and the lift and had planned on getting both. I got lucky however, and found someone selling the LS25 and a woodpecker PRL2 on craigslist. I really wanted to try out the incra lifts with the tool less insert rings and improved dc, but couldn't pass up the deal. Like you I'm going to make the fence removable and would like to make my own clean sweep system. I'm going to use my existing mft table as a pattern to make the holes and then use dogs to align the rail. If all goes according to plan I should have it done by the end of spring.
          I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• Cochese
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2010

The Kreg inserts got here about an hour ago.

I picked the 3.25HP version up at Highland and got the sander as well. Rockler will have that same promotion starting tomorrow. For $30, I thought it was a no brainer to get the beefier model, something I had wanted regardless. Highland also gave me a set of belts, and nearly gave me the router for the price of the little brother.

I'm going to pick up the MDF for the top after lunch. I may have enough 3/4" ply on hand to make the carcass. Might look like a Frankenstein, but it will be free.

Comment

• Cochese
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2010

The basic functionality of the top is complete. I screwed together a sheet of 3/4" and 1/2" MDF to serve as the top. Close to the minimum needed for those leveling blocks (which are completely awesome).

I only have one corner at the top right which is really funky, I'm hoping I can use something to shim so when I put the laminate on it will look even better. I think I will use some contact cement to laminate the MDF if mine is still functional and not bad due to the freezing weather this winter. I'll have to use something for the laminate at any rate.

I haven't decided on the final dimensions yet for length. It is right at 24" wide, and I'm leaning toward making it longer so I can get some wider drawers in. I'll be designing it tonight.

Comment

• lrr
                Established Member
                • Apr 2006
                • Fort Collins, Colorado
                • Ryobi BT-3100

Originally posted by JimD
                [...]
                I've never used a router plate.
                [...]
                I like the smooth top and don't see any significant benefit from a plate.
                [...]
                The biggest benefit for me is to have multiple plates for multiple routers, and then you can swap routers instantly to go back and forth between commonly used bits. I keep a 1/4" shaft round-over bit in one router permanently, since it gets used the most. My other plate has a router with a 1/2" collet, for my larger bits. I thought about getting a 3rd plate for a newer, heavier duty router, but will likely just set up a second table. The newer router plates and lifts are larger and thicker than what I have now, an old Rockler table. With the elevation adjustment screws in the table opening, you never feel the transition from table to plate if set correctly.
                Lee

Comment

• Cochese
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2010

The other benefits are above table elevation changes, above table bit changes and zero-clearance/multiple size inserts.

Comment

• JimD
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2003
                    • Lexington, SC.

I have above table elevation changes (1 rotation of the elevation screw =1/16 inch), my top hinges so I have complete access for bit changes without changing router elevation or lifting out a plate and I have inserts to reduce the opening (but in several decades I've used them only a handful of times). On my router table in the BT3100 I usually just drop the PC690 motor out of the mount to change bits. Seems as easy as pulling the plate and router. To each his own I guess.

Comment

• jussi
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007

Are you worried about the top bowing over time from the weight?
                      I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• Cochese
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2010

Not particularly. I will be supporting it with 3/4 ply. My previous version that had MDF did well even in my shop.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• Cochese
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jun 2010

I got a bit of a bug in me this week, apparently. I changed what I thought would be the design on Thursday, and Friday afternoon I picked up a sheet of ply. By sundown on Saturday the basics were done.

The long-form write-up is here: http://www.the144workshop.com/the-new-router-table/ Many more pics as well.

The short version is this: Picked up one sheet (all I needed for this design, part of the reason I changed it) of ply Friday and got it assembled that evening. Simple butt joints, I didn't feel like going to the trouble of Dominos, plus I'm not a master at that yet anyway. I scored an incredible deal on Formica at Lowe's, two full sheets for $34 with some chips along the edges. Way more than I needed. Got the laminate applied to the MDF, casters on the bottom, and she's ready for use.

I will have to laminate the two sheets of MDF together, plus apply the Formica to the underside and sides of the top. I'll be figuring out dust collection and adding the power switch once this week of **** is done.

I love having a router table again. I've missed it so much. Adds some useful storage as well.

Feel free to ask me any questions here. I'm just exhausted from this weekend and didn't feel like typing all of that up again.

Here's a bit more detail about the design. You can see I inset the sides of the router box in from the edges.
                          Last edited by Cochese; 03-09-2014, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Working...