X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

Plane till

I've been procrastinating for so long to get started on this, thinking I'd want to add more planes as soon as I got done. Months later, I've added no planes. It was time to free some shelf space up for other stuff, and to use up some plentiful plywood cutoffs at the same time. This was part of a modular cabinet build that I think I'll be taking up next year.

All scrap 3/4" white birch plywood, except for the back which is 1/2". The shelf ledges are 3/4" pine. I'll hit it with some sort of finish. I have magnets for the planes setting up right now, and I'll add some sort of dividers, probably more of that pine. The shelves can be removed and replaced without taking the cabinet apart, which will make it useful even when I outgrow it with planes. I'm planning on picking up felt or soft shelf liner tomorrow.

Not too sure what I'll put on the top shelf. Unfortunately it's too short for chisels.

I have a little blog about my shop
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Nice plane shelf.

sitting on top of a cut-in-half hollow core door???

explain that...

And the use of the word tlll? similar to the slang for a cash register with its internal separated drawer, I find this in a google search:
    In the UK the term "till" is used to describe a shelf inside other form of chest, used to segregate small items. - See more at: http://www.chacha.com/question/why-d....3p6srU63.dpuf
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-20-2013, 12:17 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• chopnhack
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • Florida
      • Ryobi BT3100

I've read plane till somewhere before.
      I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Cochese
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2010

Not sure of the etymology of the term, but till is slang here in the states as well. A more popular use for it is a saw till, but plane tills are a popular term in its own right. I bet it comes from the divided compartments that the cash drawer has, which I have not added to mine yet.

The door has a story. I bought it a couple years ago for a folding out feed table that I saw here, but realized I didn't have room for. After I built my workbench, I was looking for a way to raise the surface up a bit higher for the saw, and a way to protect the surface. With the door otherwise a waste of money, it was a natural fit. The door is longer than the bench, thus it being cut. Since the saw isn't right next to the saw anymore I will eventually just use hardboard.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

OK, looked up plane till and saw till on google and you get vastly different answers than just looking up till. Look at the google images. So I learned something.

And where are you going to put the #7 Jointer plane when you get one? It's like an aircraft carrier among planes.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-20-2013, 10:21 AM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• Cochese
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2010

I'll have to make a new one, honestly. The construction allows for very easy repurposing though. Remove the shelves (couple of screws each), remove the cleats (again two screws each) and it is a blank slate. Could easily repurpose into a cabinet with shelves, door or anything else.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

Nice set up. You need to retract the cutters until you get the shelf lined. Another option would be to cut a groove for the cutters to sit over. Mine are set even across the front of the shelf, but you could put staggered stops across the heels and do the same thing.

Can't find a picture right now.
              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
              Fools because they have to say something.
              Plato

Comment

• pelligrini
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • Fort Worth, TX
                • Craftsman 21829

I'd just add a thin strip of wood down the bottom and elevate all the heels, which would in turn keep all the cutters off the wood. Air will be able circulate around the planes better as well.

I've read that sitting them on felt can promote rust. I do have have my No 7 sitting on a couple strips of felt as raccomended by Sarge in this thread. I have noticed no rusting or discoloration of it on the portions where it stays in contact with the felt.

I don't like sitting mine on shelf or toolbox liners, it leaves a pattern on my planes.
                Last edited by pelligrini; 10-21-2013, 03:29 PM.
                Erik

Comment

• chopnhack
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2006
                  • Florida
                  • Ryobi BT3100

I wonder if that has something to do with the moisture content of the air (rusting and felt)

I would personally treat the felt with some wax or oil of choice. Does anyone see a reason to not do this?

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by chopnhack

I would personally treat the felt with some wax or oil of choice. Does anyone see a reason to not do this?
                    wouldn't that be kind of messy?
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• chopnhack
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 2006
                      • Florida
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                      wouldn't that be kind of messy?
                      A little goes a long way comes to mind.

Comment

• jdon
                        Established Member
                        • Feb 2010
                        • Snoqualmie, Wash.
                        • BT3100

Don't recall the source, but I recall recently seeing the tip of slapping a thin flexible refrigerator magnet to the plane sole to protect the cutter.

Comment

• Cochese
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jun 2010

Well, I found a good deal on a Record #7 that I pulled the trigger on. It sat around while I tried to figure out what to do with the cabinet.

I removed the upper shelf, the rear strip on the bottom shelf and the upper supports. Fits pretty good, but probably at some point I'll redo the whole thing with real wood.

Comment

Working...