X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

Your 2014 shop outlook

This was a fairly popular thread last year, New Year's Day is as good as any time to start the next version.

Feel free to link or quote your post in the other thread if you participated and let us know how it went. To link directly to your post, click on the # above your information on the right and copy/paste the address. Or copy and quote.
    I have a little blog about my shop
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Looking at the 2013 thread, I didn't get the majority of what I wanted in my shop done in 2013 due to other pressing issues including health, and family related issues. However I am rapidly approaching needing to finish up with the cabinet remodel in the house, so she who has distracted me has insisted I get out there and get the shop back in order...

The drywall on the powered wall is up now. I should have it in tape and painted and wall plates on the outlets within the next 2 weekends, then comes the big move...

#1. Install the wall hanging stuff, tool cabinets, tool stacker, etc... on the newly refinished wall.
    #2. Move the big tools where they belong.
    #3. Reinstall dust collection ductwork.
    #4. Create and install "cabinet bridge" to connect the 2 tool cabinets, creating a sort of middle cabinet, allowing me to store things such as sanding media and other misc close to the lathe.
    #5. Blow in expanding foam insulation in wall segment between the shop doors. Allow to cure, trim flush and install drywall over it.
    #6. On unpowered wall, patch any irregularities with drywall, cut top access holes in drywall for blow in insulation, and fill the wall cavities with insulation, patch, repaint.
    #7. Not just at this point, but throughout the process clean, clean, clean, clean... It's nasty in there right now...
    #8. Still need to figure out the details on this one, but I need to figure out something different with my clamps. I have badly overrun my basic wall mounted, well effectively towel bars I have been using for a clamp rack. Probably design and build something more akin to a rolling clamp tower of some sort.
    #9. At this point the shop should be functional. On to improvement projects...

#1. Finish SCMS cabinet and dust hood. Need to finish up the drawers, and build the hood. This will remain unfinished so no worries about oiling or staining it... This one I have every reason to believe I can get done with everything else I am doing, in 2014.

The other remaining projects, not so sure but I am going to shoot for them, even if I miss it is good to have goals. They are...
    #2. Decide on, and build the proper tool storage for under the lathe. I am debating on a simple drawered box on the existing base, with a large base panel / box for ballast, or an entire base replacement box with ballast.
    #3. Drill press base cabinet. A simple open pidgeon hole cabinet to house my hand held power drills, bit sets, jigs etc that will stow on the mobile base, with a draw clamp, and be removable for the rare occasions I actually need the length of the full height drill press. Mind you, I am still looking for, and if I come across one that I can actually pick up, I will happily replace my Northern Industrial drill press with a Ryobi DP121L and then the cabinet design changes a LOT...
    #4. Redesigned workbench. I am going to do a cutting board style top, 3" thick in simple construction grade SYP. I already have a stack of SYP 2x10s acclimating for this project. The base will be a storage cabinet base. The dimensions will match my current bench. I like the size, and it mtaches up to the size of the table saw extension table perfectly... I will be re using my existing HF quick release vise. It works, although I would like a better quality vise.
    #5. On the large tools and cabinets that are stationary, I will be making extra efforts to insure that they are dead level. My floor slops and dips all sorts of weird ways. I guess I could pull everything out and level the floor, but this is after all, a garage and I don't want to cause drainage problems.
    #6. Speaking of leveling things out, I will be building a simple, leveling platform for the AC. It sits at a slope due to the floor, and it causes the condensation pan in the AC to drain off the wrong way.

Okay tripping even more so into pipe dream about getting it done this year territory I also want to...
    #6. Finish the design for, and build a full table saw / router work center for my BT3100. The between rails top would be a thinner version of the bench top, 1.5" thick instead of 3". This one would be on a torsion box with a custom mobile base. The mobile base would be simple 1.5" x 1.5" L channel steel mitered and welded at the corners, and a set of heavy duty mobile base kick down casters, and levelers. The base cabinet will feature drawers for the table saw accessories including blades, dado set, wrenches, throat plates, etc... The router section will feature cubby holes for the bit sets, and jigs, drawer for loose bits, and other misc accessories. Both the table saw and router sections are to feature integrated dust collection.
    Last edited by dbhost; 01-02-2014, 03:15 PM.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Cochese
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2010

I pretty much summed up the results in the other thread, so here's what I have on tap for 2014:
      • Finish interior walls - I have three remaining walls that have the original 1/4" ply and wood stringers between the studs. These will be taken care of this year.
      • Remove ceiling - same 1/4" on the ceiling joists. I'd like to take it down and have some storage up there, considering I don't think anything is living up there.
      • Build lathe stand - need a sturdy, vibration-dampening stand for the lathe. Have the design done, just waiting to finish the...
      • Build planer stand - started on this a couple weeks ago, have the matierials cut and being glued up. It's a flip-top stand for the OSS as well. Hopefully will be done in January.
      • Build new miter saw stand - to accommodate some minor rearranging in the shop, I'm building a shorter cabinet assembly. Probably after the lathe stand.
      • Under-floor insulation - I think this is the Achilles heel in my shop, after not being level. The floor seems to be where I lose the most heat. My BIL is going to help, hopefully.
      • New floor? - if I can figure out how to fill the 'hole' in the floor surface, I think I'm going to put down some cheap laminate flooring. We'll see.
      • Add some green - The Festools are coming! The Festools are coming! The track saw is a given, will have to see what finances are after that.
      • Clear up outside - I still have a bunch of debris in my yard of plywood that should have gone into my house attic as a floor. Lesson learned. New demo blade on my recip saw should get this taken care of quickly.
      • New window - I need a new window for my shop, full stop.
      • Air conditioning - and an A/C unit to sit in it to help me get through summer.
      • External outlets - for the house. Going to add two or three to help run the extension cords (and allow my lights and vac to be on their own circuit) and run lights next holiday season

I'm very excited. Going to be a big year if money and time cooperate.
      I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Cochese

I'm very excited. Going to be a big year if money and time cooperate.
        Your last sentence sums up my whole situation... Between work, working on the site, home improvement projects, and LOML dragging me here, there, and everywhere, getting shop time is a rarity...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

I finished 7 of the 12 items on my 2013 list. I'm going to keep my other 4/5 on my list but modify them slightly.

2013.1--I have decided to keep the lathe I inherited from my Uncle and set it up in the shop. It already has legs so I just need to clear a spot.

2013.2--Remake the router table extension in my TS and install the Incra router plate.

2013.3--Install the Jet sandpaper clamp in my Ryobi 16-32 drum sander.

2013.4--Figure out something for my 60 gallon air compressor.

2014.1--Finish a walnut mini-armoire for my kids' dress-up clothes.

2014.2--Clean

2014.3--Come up with some better clamp storage solutions.

2014.4--I really like the flip tool cart I made for the OSS and planer. I'm really considering doing this for the drum sander with a Rikon mini lathe balanced on the other side. It's going to be a lot bigger, though, but I don't have space for a dedicated lathe bench. The sander is already on a rolling base.

2014.5--I bought an old RAS I planned to fully rehab but it's beyond me right now. I just want to set it up on my chop saw bench and move the miter saw elsewhere for the fine cuts.

I think that's good for 2014. I have a bunch of other non-shop projects to keep me busy, too.

Paul

Comment

• JimD
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Lexington, SC.

My "shop" is basically in the process of going away and will have to be re-created. We've purchased a new house, with no shop space, and are planning to build an additional 1 car garage (all there is space for). We haven't sold the old house (which is actually newer than the new-to-us house) so the tools are stored there, mostly. There is a small utility room with the water heater, softener, and filter in it and some cabinets. That will have to be my tool storage site initially. It is bit of a mess but will get more organized so I can at least get my portable tools into it (including my track saw). I'm hoping to squeeze in a CMS and my BT3100 (no extension rails) in the garage. Other things will go to a storage unit until the new garage if built.

An indirect way to gain some shop space is underway now. There is a walk in attic which I am finishing (framing, insulation, HVAC and wiring) so my wife will put as much as possible in there freeing up space for me in the garage. If I had the whole "front" of the 24 feet deep garage I might get by without the extra garage. Her "stuff" includes art supplies that cannot take the temperature extremes of a regular attic. But I've already insulated under the floor and put a second layer of subfloor down and torn out an old cedar closet. Now comes framing (not a lot required) wiring and HVAC (a big trunk line goes into the room already) more insulation then drywall. The neat part of this project is it seems to qualify as a 4th bedroom too if we ever wanted to sell. Part of it will have 8 foot ceilings and the floor area with at least a 5 foot ceiling height is about 140 square feet - well above the minimum. It also has a window.

Jim

Comment

• Denco
              • Mar 2003
              • Coming soon: California
              • BT3100

I'll be moving from my 1260sqft shop to half a 2-car garage as we're moving out of state. I plan a micro/modular shop, but this is still going to be a trick. I'll be building the shop from the wood I used to crate my tools.
              *****Measure twice, cut once.....rats, back to the lumber yard.*****

Comment

• Carpenter96
                Established Member
                • Aug 2011
                • Barrie ON Canada
                • BT 3000

I did not contribute to the last thread. I did however have a few upgrades to my shop.
                I installed dri-core, very comfortable on the feet and much warmer than concrete.
                I found that I had to install non slip flooring so I would not slide down the slope in my shop. About 1 foot over 20 feet.
                I plan to complete a table saw extension.
                I upgraded my DC and have to plan out the new DC runs.
                I have to find a way not to work so much this year and spend more time in the shop.
                I have to decide which tools are absolutly neccessary to gain floor space.

Regards Bob

Comment

• jussi
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007

I didn't post in the previous thread either although like many woodworkers I'm always trying to improve my shop. And like many, the plan at the beginning of the year changed about half way though it. Two of the things I wanted to do was organize my clamps better and uprgadee / add cabinets.

The clamp rack is done but I'm probably going to do part of it over again. I rushed the project and the doors that hold the smaller, f-style, clamps sag because I didn't put enough support. I ended up putting little cleats that would pick them up when both doors were closed. It works but not the way I want it to. The larger rack works fine. I just miscalculated the size I would need and made them too small. So some of the parallel clamps are still on the floor.

Before:

After:

The cabinets are about 50% done. I still need to make the drawer fronts, pulls, and top of the middle cabinets. I'm waiting for the veneer glue to make the fronts and hopefully those will arrive by the end of the week. Had to change the plans for the top a bit after I got my Kapex. I also made some upper cabinets that need doors as well. Place is still messy but a bit more organized.

Before:

After:

For 2014 I would like:
                  1. Finish upper and lower cabinets.
                  2. Re-do Clamp racks
                  3. Base cabinets for assembly/outfeed table
                  4. Incorporate router table to assembly table.
                  5. Re -do festool sortainer / mft base.
                  6. Add better dc to tablesaw.
                  7. Learn how to use my vaccum press
                  8. Get better at spraying.
                  9. Make hand tool cabinet.
                  10. Make roubo workbench

There's more but I have to be realistic.
                  Last edited by jussi; 01-02-2014, 05:08 PM.
                  I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• BadeMillsap
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
                    • Grizzly G1023SL

Well this is where I am so far after 18 months or so

This is shop at present

ken from the rear of the shop up against the wood storage rack ...

Things I need to add in 2014

Mini Split AC/Heater
                    Better clamp rack
                    ??????????

Too many projects on deck to do much more
                    Attached Files
                    "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
                    Bade Millsap
                    Bulverde, Texas
                    => Bade's Personal Web Log
                    => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• capncarl
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Leesburg Georgia USA
                      • SawStop CTS

My highest priority with my shop is to do something with the stupid workbenches that I built several years ago. These are thick top work benches with vices and t slot and absolutely no storage room under them. These are only for woodworker with a gym size shop and anyone that considers building one should really consider their shop storage before wasting that much space. I installed shelving underneath both benchs but that is just a catch all. I am going to build 2 drawer units for each bench and make it like a big tool box. That makes sense.

Comment

• twistsol
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                        • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Last year was rough. My mom had a stroke just after Christmas 2012, she's doing well now and my father in law moved into assisted living. That left us with two houses to get ready for sale which took up all of our free time. One sold, my parents are still in theirs.

Uncompleted from 2013.
                        Build and install Wall Storage Cabinets (Turned into wire shelves for now)
                        Finish building Sanding Stations
                        Finish Table Saw Cart
                        Build Drill Press Table
                        Overhaul Radial Arm Saw

I'd also planned to build bookcases and file storage for my home office but that turned into a trip to IKEA for flat pack furniture. Do I need to turn in my man card now that I've admitted that publicly?

My current list consists of some things that are 10 minute jobs and some that will take a couple of long weekends.

Mount compressor hose reel
                        Hang Festool rails
                        Hang Festool parallel guides
                        Hang scaffolding
                        Build loader stand
                        Build box blade cart
                        Build drill press table
                        Finish ultimate tool stand
                        Build UTS mounts for:
                        Ryobi disk/belt sander
                        Rigid drum sander
                        Ryobi grinder
                        Kreg jig
                        Porter Cable dovetail jig
                        Cutting frame
                        Chain Saw Grinder
                        Chr's

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

I have been making good progress. I am at the point now that I have the electrical box rings sized and installed, and all but the top joint in tape and mud. I am using fiber tape instead of paper as I felt the fiber offered a stronger joint. The tape is in place I just need to mud it, smooth it, let it dry and sand it... Then comes paint and moving goodies around...

The gap visible behind the RO / Softener system is something I need to figure out. It is an access port for the main water shutoff to the house. The lines are insulated, but I have no wall insulation for just that short area, Maybe 15" square. I am considering just dropping a piece of insulation behind it between the valve and the sheathing for all the good it will do, and then add a hinged access panel... For now, cold air creeps in through that and blows right on the RO tank... NOT a good thing...

I am working toward, by Saturday night, being able to move my tool cabinet, and my big tools back where they belong. I should be able to get to, and finish up the between doors wall at that point, and that would bring me to the remainder of the cleanup. Not the fun part...

Okay that pic looks way worse than it really is. The majority of that stuff is on top of the table saw and workbench.

I need to figure how how to get the tool stacker moved without major incident, or even if it is going to work the way my plan is set up, if so then yeah, move it, and start rearranging the wood rack so I can clear off the tops, and be able to blow insulation in the cavities behind the rock on the other side as I am going to try my best to avoid re-rocking that wall...

So at the very least, before it starts getting hot again, the shop should be back in a truly workable fashion, fully powered, and insulated.

About the workbench with no real usable storage underneath. I totally feel for ya on that one. I built the Getting Started in Woodworking bench from Fine Woodworking's online series. With some modification (My bench top is 6' long, not 5'), I couldn't find not PT 4x4s, and every single piece of PT I could find was soaking wet and would take a couple of years to dry. I went ahead and used Cedar as it was what I could find. BIG mistake... I might just redo my base, re-use my existing top although I think I would prefer a 1.5" thick SYP butcher block type top, and just redo the base using SYP 2x6s cut, glued, and milled to make 4x4 posts for this project. I have the 2x6, it's been in my shop for years and is plenty dry and straight. The 2x4 stuff is also there, bone dry too... I was thinking of simply cutting rabbets / slots in the legs and stretchers to accept 1/4" plywood panels to enclose the base, And of course a 3/4" plywood panel for the bottom of the cabinet area. Just enclose the whole thing. Maybe rig it for some drawers. Be a good place to put bench hooks, hold fasts, glue spreaders etc...

Comment

• lrr
                            Established Member
                            • Apr 2006
                            • Fort Collins, Colorado
                            • Ryobi BT-3100

I thought I had plenty of clamps until I saw the pictures from jussi ...

I've started a list of 2014 plans which I need to complete, but something that needs to get added after seeing those pictures is:

- Clamp Racks, lots of them ...
                            Lee

Comment

• dbhost
                              Slow and steady
                              • Apr 2008
                              • League City, Texas
                              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by jussi

Wow, now that's a clamp collection!

Comment

Working...