Do you unplug/De-energize your power tools?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Do you unplug/De-energize your power tools?

Here's a safety question.
    Do you unplug all of your stationary power tools when you are not in the shop?
    For safety of kids, or wives so they don't accidentally turn it on or perhaps for lightning protection of something?

Or do you leave them plugged in all the time ready to use.

I'd have to say I leave all my stationary tools plugged in all the time - MS, BS, TS, DC on remote, DPs(2) Router, Jointer. Spindle sander and disk belt sander. Grinder, too.
    No, never, why bother
    35.19%
    No never but it sounds like a good idea
    3.70%
    sometimes when I remember
    9.26%
    Most of the time
    20.37%
    Yes, without fail
    31.48%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-10-2014, 10:24 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • frumper64
    Established Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Garland, Tx, USA.

I unplug everything except the compressor. I've been a bit paranoid about safety things since I took about 3/8" off the end of my left thumb doing something really stupid on my table saw.

I guess I should calrify - on the compressor, I do always turn it off but don't actually unplug it since the plug is a real pain to reach. I don't always drain it, although I guess I should.
    Last edited by frumper64; 04-11-2014, 02:16 PM. Reason: addition
    Jim
    64sedan_at_gmail.com

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

actually the compressor is the only thing I do unplug.

Let me correct that, I don't unplug it, I just turn it's switch off. So its not unplugged/de-energized altho its not pressured up.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-10-2014, 10:43 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

Absolutely, especially the compressor!

When it comes to the compressor I realize it depends largely on how you use it. For some, I imagine that they might need service air quite often and when they want it, it needs to be there.

But for me, I only use it when I'm going to run a tool that needs it, be it a nailer or spray gun and both are fairly rare. So, at the end of the work period or day, I both unplug and drain the tank.

My basement shop is almost 100% my domain, and I very rarely have a visitor though my wife occasionally will check to make sure I haven't left something on like my battery charger or coffee warmer. I've just taken to unplugging every tool when I'm done using it and usually the minute I'm done using it. I figure if I've got to go back to the tool, it's easy enough to just plug it back in.

Safety is a lot more important than convenience!

CWS
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• TB Roye
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Sacramento, CA, USA.
          • BT3100

I should clarify this. The BT3, jointer, Miter Saw and Planer are in the Garage and are not plugged in. The Lathe, Drill Press, Bandsaw are in the shop and are kept plugged in the Router Table is in the Shop but not plugged in until I move it and am to use it, it kinda stuck in the corner and would be hard to use that way. When Grandkid were younger I pull the lock on the tools and still do when the youngest comes over and want to play in the shop.

Tom

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • On the TARDIS
            • BT 3100

The only thing left plugged in is the ipod dock. All tools are unplugged and the portable ones get put away.
            From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

I suppose it might be easier for some people (me, for instance) to turn off the associated breakers with their tool circuits. Some cords and plugs are on the floor and behind things or low on the wall, and there's a lot of them.

The breakers are for me, in the garage (shop) and high on the wall easy to get to. All the stationary tools are on three or four dedicated breakers. There will be fewer breakers than tools usually and they'll all be within inches of one-another making it much easier to cut everything off that way.

I'm worried about my soon to be 3 y.o. grandson getting into the garage which I usually keep locked, and starting flipping switches as he is wont to do. He really likes switches, knobs, buttons and things like that.

I guess the better title for this thread sould have been "De-energize" instead of "unplug" although its pretty much the same thing ultimately.
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-10-2014, 10:05 PM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• Egar
                Forum Newbie
                • Mar 2014
                • Minnesota
                • Ryobi BT3000

My shop is in a one car garage. There isn't room to leave tools out, they all have to be pushed to the perimeter of the garage just to walk about. No chance ever of parking a car in there...

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

None of the options fit me.

The tools along the wall stay plugged in all the time, those are lathe, band saw, dust collector, and air compressors. The DC and compressors would be a huge pain to unplug as their outlet endued up close to my toolbox...

My table saw, and miter saw have cords too short to reach an outlet from where they are positioned, and honestly I didn't want them to stay plugged in for paranoia sake..

The drill press tends to move a lot, but yes it stays plugged in most of the time.

Obviously the benchtop tools are just that, benchop, not stationary, so they don't have a permanent spot in an outlet to function from...

Assuming I rewired my table saw and miter saw with long enough cords to route to the outlets, or jack hammered the floor up and ran an outlet under the table saw and miter saw bench (and even then still extended the miter saw power cord, it's SHORT), then yeah, I would leave them plugged in, just throw the breakers before i leave the shop...

Having a sub panel IN the shop has some huge advantages...

So yeah, I do leave circuits de-energized when I close down the shop at night...

My situation is probably fairly unique here in that we have no kids, not that we haven't tried... so none of our own, and no grands. However we do have a bevy of neices and nephews, but the youngest of those is I guess about 10 now, and lives in another state. So kid safety isn't my primary concern, however it IS a concern (no kids yet, did I mention we keep trying?). God willing it will be a MUCH greater concern sooner than later...

I actually would have liked to be able to lock out the entire sub panel but couldn't find one that wasn't huge that had a lockable door. Apparently the MFGs think only big commercial installations need to lock out electrical systems.
                  Last edited by dbhost; 04-10-2014, 10:47 PM.
                  Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by dbhost
                    None of the options fit me.

The tools along the wall stay plugged in all the time, those are lathe, band saw, dust collector, and air compressors. The DC and compressors would be a huge pain to unplug as their outlet endued up close to my toolbox...

My table saw, and miter saw have cords too short to reach an outlet from where they are positioned, and honestly I didn't want them to stay plugged in for paranoia sake..

The drill press tends to move a lot, but yes it stays plugged in most of the time.

Obviously the benchtop tools are just that, benchop, not stationary, so they don't have a permanent spot in an outlet to function from...

Assuming I rewired my table saw and miter saw with long enough cords to route to the outlets, or jack hammered the floor up and ran an outlet under the table saw and miter saw bench (and even then still extended the miter saw power cord, it's SHORT), then yeah, I would leave them plugged in, just throw the breakers before i leave the shop...

Having a sub panel IN the shop has some huge advantages...

So yeah, I do leave circuits de-energized when I close down the shop at night...
                    for you the answer would be no, because most of yours remain plugged in and the rest would if they could.

the ones unplugged are not for safety reasons.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• Black wallnut
                      cycling to health
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                      • BT3k 1999

I have a friend whose shop burned because a switch failed in a powertool that was left plugged in. I've since started unplugging mine.
                      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• mpc
                        • Feb 2005
                        • Cypress, CA, USA.
                        • BT3000 orig 13amp model

Only things that remain plugged in are a portable phone in its charger, and the overhead air filter since I can't reach it's cord. But its breaker (only thing on that circuit) is OFF if I'm not in the shop. Most of my tools are on roll-around cabinets and have to be moved to be used but even those along the wall near outlets get unplugged for safety. Cordless tool chargers don't stay plugged in overnight; I may leave them charging batteries when I'm done for the day but I hike back out there before bedtime to shut 'em down and unplug them. The shop door is locked to keep neighborhood kids out but I also don't want a pile of slag if the power lines get hit by lightening. Actually, when I know a storm is coming I'll shut off the breaker that feeds the shop's panel and all the shop breakers too plus unplug expensive stuff in the house. Overkill? Who knows, but I doubt it hurts anything to err on the side of caution/paranoia.

mpc

Comment

• Knottscott
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2004
                          • Rochester, NY.
                          • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I used to do it without fail when the kids were young and in the garage constantly. I have my TS setup so that it won't run unless the DC is on, but other than that built in failsafe, I no longer bother now that the kids are older and live in their Ipods.
                          Last edited by Knottscott; 04-14-2014, 08:10 PM.
                          Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• woodturner
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jun 2008
                            • Western Pennsylvania
                            • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by Black wallnut
                            I have a friend whose shop burned because a switch failed in a powertool that was left plugged in. I've since started unplugging mine.
                            Working for a company producing consumer electronics some years ago was an eye-opener for me. ANY electrical or electronic product can and does fail, more often than one might expect, and fires are a frequent result. Maybe only 0.01 of them fail in this way, but if you are the one....

I unplug nearly everything - shop and house - for several reasons.
                            1. Safety - unplugged devices don't start fires or cause other problems.
                            2. One could turn off the breaker, but a breaker is not designed to be used as a switch, and using them as a switch can cause them to fail prematurely. In addition, there is always the risk of turning off something unintentionally, like the refrigerator.
                            3. Many electronic products (TVs, computers, etc.) draw significant power even when they are turned off, so unplugging them can save significant energy.

Another option that works well for electronics like TVs, DVD players, etc. is to plug them into a UPS or power strip - protects the devices as well as providing a convenient switch so they do not have to be unplugged.
                            --------------------------------------------------
                            Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• capncarl
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2007
                              • Leesburg Georgia USA
                              • SawStop CTS

With the el-cheapo industry standard switches like ones found in the BT3 being used in most all stationary tools it is a must to unplug them when not in use. My Delta belt/disk sander tried to burn down in place because of the exact same switch.I have found that equipment with remote controls will start up for unexplainable reasons because of power blips and should be unplugged as well.
                              My dust collector remote control which is a Christmas decoration remote control powering a contactor would mysteriously turn on during the night and get everyones attention. The problem was solved when I turned the shop lights out late one dark night and the dust collector came on. This particular remote control had a dusk to dawn sensor that would turn on when the light level got below a certain level. It gets unplugged now.

Comment

Working...