• Show
Clear All
  • momo44
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2004
    • Augusta, GA, USA.
    • bt3100

Delta 37-280 Jointer Opinions

I have a chance to buy a Delta 37-280 6" Motorized Jointer for <$50. It is mounted on a mobile stand, has cast iron tables, but an aluminum fence.....
    I would like opinions from anyone here concerning this jointer.
    • Does the aluminum fence create any problems?
    • Is knife setting a problem?
    • Is the performance OK?
    • What should I be looking out for?
    I also have the opportunity to buy a JT360 NIB for $175. Should I go for that one instead?? What to do...what to do...what to do...........
  • burrellski
    Established Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Saint Joseph, MO.

The 37-280 and JT360 are in 2 different worlds. $175 for a nib JT360 is a good deal. Jump on it. Most of the iron is that same as its pricier cousins. I think you'll be disappointed with the overgrown benchtop 37-280.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I agree with Burrellski on night and day comparisons... but I won't agree about jumping on the $175 price of the JT 360. I would save my money and look for a used Jet.. Sunhill.. York-craft.. Grizzly.. etc. as I would personally chose them over the Delta.

I sold a Sunhill 6" to MadMac here on the forum for $250 and I am sure if you are patient that a better deal will come along..

Regards...

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

The JT360 is at the low end of the all cast iron table jointers with a ~4 foot combined in-out feed tables. (unless you count the HF as being even lower).

Its characteriized by the open stand and possibly a slightly smaller motor, I haven't found the motor to be undersized or underpowered for the work I've done.

Mostly it runs $350 amazon, Lowes, others, which may be overpriced for what you get but I would say $175 is a very good price if the jointer is good enough for you.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Knottscott
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Rochester, NY.
          • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by LCHIEN
          The JT360 is at the low end of the all cast iron table jointers with a ~4 foot combined in-out feed tables. (unless you count the HF as being even lower).

Its characteriized by the open stand and possibly a slightly smaller motor, I haven't found the motor to be undersized or underpowered for the work I've done.

Mostly it runs $350 amazon, Lowes, others, which may be overpriced for what you get but I would say $175 is a very good price if the jointer is good enough for you.
          Most of what I hear about the JT360 is that it's a pretty functional machine...maybe not top dog, but should be worth $175 if it's in good condition.

Skip the benchtop unless you do only small projects.
          Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• TB Roye
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Sacramento, CA, USA.
            • BT3100

Watch Craigslist and the local newspaper. I found a almost new 6"Grizzly with a mobile base for $200. The Jointer had been used 3 time and was in perfect condition, sharp and aligned blades and tables. Be patient and you might get lucky. I did on both my Jointer and Planer.

Tom

Comment

• ragswl4
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Winchester, Ca
              • C-Man 22114

I would pass on the benchtop. I owned a ShopFox benchtop for about a year and couldn't get very good performance out of it (maybe my fault) but edge jointing anything over about 3-4' it is difficult to keep the edge flat to the table. I have heard nothing but bad reviews for aluminum fences on jointers. Also my outfeed table was fixed which added to the problem. Sold It.
              RAGS
              Raggy and Me in San Felipe
              sigpic

Comment

• momo44
                Forum Newbie
                • Mar 2004
                • Augusta, GA, USA.
                • bt3100

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I am going to pass on the 37-280, but I have to decide whether to get the JT360 now and replace it later if the opportunity arises, or save up and wait for a deal on a larger jointer. The only question I have about the JT360 --- is it worth spending $175 on a new one?????

Comment

• ragswl4
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Winchester, Ca
                  • C-Man 22114

Sounds like maybe you are on the fence about the JT360 as you seem to be thinking you might want to upgrade later. The bed is 47", kind of short and if you think you may want something larger later perhaps waiting is better. If you have an immediate need for a jointer then the JT360 (in good condition) is worth the $175.

If you can wait, then there are bigger jointers to be had for not much more money if you are patient (Craigslist).

I have read alot of posts on this forum where folks have gone with 6" and later upgraded to 8" based on their needs. I have seen a lot of advice here to buy an 8" and skip the 6". I think it boils down to your needs, I have a 6" and it does all I need.
                  RAGS
                  sigpic

Comment

• Knottscott
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2004
                    • Rochester, NY.
                    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

$175 for a new JT360 is an excellent price....it's worth around that much used, so there's very little downside risk even if you upgrade later on. Most good 6" jointers start ~ $350. The 8" machines are closer $750 new, and go up from there.
                    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• ragswl4
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Winchester, Ca
                      • C-Man 22114

Missed the part about the JT360 being new. Good deal IMO. $349 at Lowes.
                      RAGS
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...