• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carpenter96
    Established Member
    • Aug 2011
    • Barrie ON Canada
    • BT 3000

David when you are first starting out, have no fear of your skill it will become more refined as you gain experience. what I mean to say is if you don't try things you will accomplish nothing. I stared out with no power tools and used scarp wood from a glass factory because it was free and that is what I could afford. I was 12 and sold some of those projects that are still being used today by the children of the people I sold to. I watched experienced people perform tasks and tried to repeat what they were doing. I did not always end up with something of beauty but I did end up with something I could compare to in the future. I chopped many a mortise with regular wood chisels before I purchased a mortise chisel. I cut bridle joints and half lap joint with a saw and a chisel. I definitely learned the value of sharp tools. No Master woodworker started out as one, we all started from no knowledge. The worst thing that could happen is you purchase a little more wood.

Regards Bob
    Last edited by Carpenter96; 06-22-2015, 11:41 AM. Reason: adiition of words

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by JimD
      But you need a jig that rides the rip fence for making the cut with the piece vertical. Jig is simple U shape with a fence to clamp the piece to.
      Before I built some other jigs and finally picked up a tenon jig. I used a wood wine box to do the vertical cuts. I just clamped the piece to it and slid the box against the rip fence. Clamping another block to the box helps to keep the piece vertical. Before that, multiple pass half laps on the saw and clean it up with a paring chisel.
      Erik

Comment

• David D
        Forum Newbie
        • Dec 2009
        • Richmond, VA

K
        Originally posted by Carpenter96
        David when you are first starting out, have no fear of your skill it will become more refined as you gain experience. what I mean to say is if you don't try things you will accomplish nothing. I stared out with no power tools and used scarp wood from a glass factory because it was free and that is what I could afford. I was 12 and sold some of those projects that are still being used today by the children of the people I sold to. I watched experienced people perform tasks and tried to repeat what they were doing. I did not always end up with something of beauty but I did end up with something I could compare to in the future. I chopped many a mortise with regular wood chisels before I purchased a mortise chisel. I cut bridle joints and half lap joint with a saw and a chisel. I definitely learned the value of sharp tools. No Master woodworker started out as one, we all started from no knowledge. The worst thing that could happen is you purchase a little more wood.

Regards Bob
        Thank you for the words of encouragement! I tend to be a perfectionist, so I'm very adverse to making mistakes. I therefore tend to think more than do, so I'll try to work on that. Like you said, the worst is that I have to purchase more wood. I think I also need to work on practicing on scrap pieces more. One thing that comes to mind is the hinges for this project. They will be mortised in on at least one half, so there's an opportunity to learn something there. I'm sure that I'll seek guidance when the time comes.

Comment

• Carpenter96
          Established Member
          • Aug 2011
          • Barrie ON Canada
          • BT 3000

David I also am a perfectionist but I realize we are only human and we all make mistakes. I have never built anything with no mistakes. My customers can't see the mistakes but it still drives me crazy. We can only strive for perfection, the joy is in the practice along the way.

Regards Bob

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

My first choice would be half laps. Super solid, super easy to do, very nice traditional look.

My second choice would be doweled butt joints. Not as strong as a half lap, but strong enough for anything that door will ever have to endure, and you get the look of a butt joint. Easy enough to do with a doweling jig. If you go this way I STRONGLY recommend you spend some quality time with your doweling jig getting used to how it works first. They can be squirrely to get used to unless you have some super mega dollar Powermatic dowelling machine kind of rig... That is NOT me...

My third choice, and a bit easier to set up, is round biscuited butt joints. Not too many people think about them. Again stronger than a plain butt joint, not super strong, but strong enough Norm Abram uses them all over the place... Easy as pie to do with a router, easy to get repeatable results...
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Neal
              Established Member
              • Apr 2012
              • Williamstown, WV (Mid Ohio Valley)
              • Ryobi BT3000

So I'm surprised nobody has brought up the idea of the festool domino. This is an application which SCREAMS domino, IMO. But there is that whole big money outlay and the accompanied green kool-aid addiction which follows.....I'll just go back in my hole now.

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Neal
                So I'm surprised nobody has brought up the idea of the festool domino. This is an application which SCREAMS domino, IMO. But there is that whole big money outlay and the accompanied green kool-aid addiction which follows.....I'll just go back in my hole now.
                I sort of figured the OP didn't want to take out a second mortgage, or sell any organs to finance this project.
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

Out of all of the joints I've used for a square structure the half lap has to be the easiest. The hardest part of the job is to set the blade height so that each side has enough wood removed. A few minutes playing with scrap you can get the blade heigth set. Using a regular blade rather than a dado blade works fine if it is a flat cut blade, Sometimes i use what ever is on the saw a lot of time rather than change the blade to a dado. Cutting with the regular blade takes a little bit longer. Clamping and glue up is easier than the other joints as well.
                  capncarl

Comment

• twistsol
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I think the easiest and fastest way to do this is with a cabinet door rail and stile bit set, then use a flush trim bit on the back so you can drop in the mirror. I use the Sommerfeld sets which I think are just yellow CMT sets. I've done doors with plywood panels, mirrors, stained glass and plain glass and never had one come apart yet.

They also have a glass panel set specifically for this, but the only have it in the Ogee profile.
                    Chr's

Comment

• David D
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Dec 2009
                      • Richmond, VA

Originally posted by dbhost
                      My first choice would be half laps. Super solid, super easy to do, very nice traditional look.

My second choice would be doweled butt joints. Not as strong as a half lap, but strong enough for anything that door will ever have to endure, and you get the look of a butt joint. Easy enough to do with a doweling jig. If you go this way I STRONGLY recommend you spend some quality time with your doweling jig getting used to how it works first. They can be squirrely to get used to unless you have some super mega dollar Powermatic dowelling machine kind of rig... That is NOT me...

My third choice, and a bit easier to set up, is round biscuited butt joints. Not too many people think about them. Again stronger than a plain butt joint, not super strong, but strong enough Norm Abram uses them all over the place... Easy as pie to do with a router, easy to get repeatable results...
                      Well, I decided to use half lap joints. I'm committed now as I purchased a nice 3/4" router bit for the task. I spent the money and bought a Whiteside 3022 (1 1/2" long) as I will also press it into service for edge jointing since I don't own a jointer.

Comment

• David D
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Dec 2009
                        • Richmond, VA

Originally posted by dbhost
                        I sort of figured the OP didn't want to take out a second mortgage, or sell any organs to finance this project.
                        You would be correct sir! Oh, I have drooled over some Festool tools, but I doubt there's any in my near future.

Comment

• David D
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Dec 2009
                          • Richmond, VA

Originally posted by twistsol
                          I think the easiest and fastest way to do this is with a cabinet door rail and stile bit set, then use a flush trim bit on the back so you can drop in the mirror. I use the Sommerfeld sets which I think are just yellow CMT sets. I've done doors with plywood panels, mirrors, stained glass and plain glass and never had one come apart yet.

They also have a glass panel set specifically for this, but the only have it in the Ogee profile.
                          I haven't decided on what kind of edge to use around the mirror. It might end up just plain since it would fit the style. If I do anything, it will be simple.

Comment

• David D
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Dec 2009
                            • Richmond, VA

Made some progress the past few days. Got all the lap joints done. As you can see, I did leave myself some overhang so the edges can be sanded flush. I also mortised my hinges and am quite pleased with the results.

I am "dry fitting" everything until I'm confident that I'm ready for glue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• JimD
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2003
                              • Lexington, SC.

Looks good!

Comment

• David D
                                Forum Newbie
                                • Dec 2009
                                • Richmond, VA

Well, it only took me forever to finish this project, but it's finally done! I tend to get hyper-focused and didn't really take any "during" pics, but here's the end result. I had glass shelves and a beveled mirror cut for it. LOML talked me into the nicer beveled glass and I'm glad she did.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Medicine Cabinet 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	787380Click image for larger version

Name:	Medicine Cabinet 3.jpg
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	787381Click image for larger version

Name:	Medicine Cabinet 13.jpg
Size:	56.0 KB