• Show
Clear All
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Power tool maintenance

I noticed today that my Metabo 5" disk grinder is making a different whining sound. I've never popped the gear cover off this tool and added grease but it sounds like it is due. Just thought I'd add this discussion as a reminder to those who don't know it or forget about it that most all of our power tools need some attention within a year of purchase. This includes drills, grinders, jig saws, circular saws and any tools that has a reduction gear. I do not ever recall seeing this mentioned in any tools owners manual. The little dob of factory installed grease hardens up and gets slung to the side of the gear area and the gears proceed to wear out. If you open the tool up and add some gear grease occasionally the tools life will be extended a lot longer than the manufacturer would like it to. A little published fact that the tool manufacturers would rather you not to know!
    capncarl
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

What is the recommended gear grease? I am definitely guilty about not doing regular maintenance. Part of that comes from my worry that once I get it apart, I won't be able to get it back together again or end up with extra parts.

Comment

• TB Roye
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Sacramento, CA, USA.
      • BT3100

I have use good ofd fashioned high temp wheel bearing grease. Had it on the shelf in the garage from back in the day when you did wheel bearings. Just a dab will do ya.

Tom

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

I haven't ran into a power tool yet that posed much of a problem getting back together, Most have been rather simple. I use whatever wheel bearing grease I have handy. I figure that if the factory had installed a healthy sized dollop of grease rather than the pitiful tear drop I wouldn't have to do this maintenance but they wouldn't have as many sales! On Some of my heavily used grinders I have completely filled up the gear case and never seen any problems. Eventually I see some oil coming out of the tool, but I also see that on tools that I have never opened up and over lubed.
        capncarl

Comment

Working...