• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Best wishes for a speedy and successful recovery. Hang in there.

L.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

Update

Things got worse for me. I went back in the hospital on the 18th or 19th of Aug. On the 20th my Gastro had me transferred to San Antonio to be near a surgeon he wanted. I was going to be put on a med that would give us a reaction one way or the other within 24 - 48 hours but it wasn't available anywhere in the area. Another was used that would take 7-8 days to act.

On the 21st my colon perforated and I was taken into emergency surgery. All but about the last 2" of the colon was removed and the intestine connected to an illoscopy bag. It has been a steady diet of various antibiotics to fight the infection caused by the contamination from the perforation along my nutrition and the standard fare of fluids until last Monday, the 1st.

Once they were sure I could tolerate solids, I was transferred on Thursday to a Long Term Acute Care hospital in Luling, TX. A lot of insurance hassles back and forth with Medicare and the wife ended up make the hour drive with me in the van. (Tricare would have covered it but we couldn't get the hospital admin to contact them.) We got here about 11 PM and they got me checked in and settled down around midnight. Got all the evaluations done on Friday and started therapies (physical and occupational) on Monday. I also go into a Hyperbaric chamber 2 hrs a day where the oxygen is increased to 2 atmospheres to pump up the red blood cells and promote healing. Sometime this week I will get a dressing that draws a vacuum at the incision which also speeds healing and helps fight infection.

All in all, I am getting stronger every day. The plan is to have me home by the end of the month. It will be about 3 months before I know if the remaining colon can be reconnected or if the bag is permanent. In the mean time I will be looking hard at my finances and the possibilities of retiring earlier than I wanted to should I have to live with the bag.

Hopefully I will be checking in every couple of days now until I get home.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• phrog
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2005
        • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by Pappy
        Things got worse for me. I went back in the hospital on the 18th or 19th of Aug. On the 20th my Gastro had me transferred to San Antonio to be near a surgeon he wanted. I was going to be put on a med that would give us a reaction one way or the other within 24 - 48 hours but it wasn't available anywhere in the area. Another was used that would take 7-8 days to act.

On the 21st my colon perforated and I was taken into emergency surgery. All but about the last 2" of the colon was removed and the intestine connected to an illoscopy bag. It has been a steady diet of various antibiotics to fight the infection caused by the contamination from the perforation along my nutrition and the standard fare of fluids until last Monday, the 1st.

Once they were sure I could tolerate solids, I was transferred on Thursday to a Long Term Acute Care hospital in Luling, TX. A lot of insurance hassles back and forth with Medicare and the wife ended up make the hour drive with me in the van. (Tricare would have covered it but we couldn't get the hospital admin to contact them.) We got here about 11 PM and they got me checked in and settled down around midnight. Got all the evaluations done on Friday and started therapies (physical and occupational) on Monday. I also go into a Hyperbaric chamber 2 hrs a day where the oxygen is increased to 2 atmospheres to pump up the red blood cells and promote healing. Sometime this week I will get a dressing that draws a vacuum at the incision which also speeds healing and helps fight infection.

All in all, I am getting stronger every day. The plan is to have me home by the end of the month. It will be about 3 months before I know if the remaining colon can be reconnected or if the bag is permanent. In the mean time I will be looking hard at my finances and the possibilities of retiring earlier than I wanted to should I have to live with the bag.

Hopefully I will be checking in every couple of days now until I get home.
        Pappy, it sounds like you've been through it. Sounds like things have finally taken a good turn for you. Hang in there. I'll be praying for your speedy recovery.
        Richard

Comment

• jking
          • May 2003
          • Des Moines, IA.
          • BT3100

I will pray for your continued recovery.

Comment

• bigstick509
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Macomb, MI, USA.
            • BT3100

Hang in there Pappy, wishing you a speedy recovery.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• gerti
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2003
              • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
              • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

I liked the
              All in all, I am getting stronger every day.
              part, hope it continues for you! All the best.

Comment

• KenBurris
                Established Member
                • Jan 2003
                • Cincinnati, OH, USA.

Wishing a speedy recovery Pappy
                Ken in Cincinnati

Pretend this line says something extremely witty

Comment

• ironhat
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2004
                  • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                  • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

It's good to hear you say that you're getting better every day. It sure does the body good to (don't get scared now) meditate on that good feeling and get some alpha waves going in your brain. Since you really are feeling better the focusing on that shouldn't be too hard. If you fall asleep, that's normal. Continuing to pray for you with the Mrs.
                  Blessings,
                  Chiz

Comment

• billwmeyer
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2003
                    • Weir, Ks, USA.
                    • BT3000

Get well soon Pappy. We need you around here.
                    "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

Working...